It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Dog Fight in our house

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

Dog Fight in our house Empty
PostSubject: Dog Fight in our house   Dog Fight in our house EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 9:19 pm

I need help I guess.

We had a huge dog fight in my house today. Stormy, (Great Pyr) attacked Kya and Rio and then suddenly Kya turned and they were both attacking Rio and then Stormy turned and tried to attack me, ripping my shirt.

I have NEVER EVER EVER had this happen before. Stormy has gotten very aggressive since the Raw Feeding started. No one seems hurt and when I got over to them but Kya and Stormy were attacking Rio. Kya has never shown any aggression towards other animal in the house either.

Is it possible that the raw feeding needs to stop?

I have noooo idea what to do and am in tears because Kya is my big teddy bear and seeing this, it made me flashback to watching my dogs die and I can't handle that kind of behaviour in my house.

They had already been fed, no food was down, and I don't know WHAT started it bc I was in the office while the dogs were in the living room (a normal occurence in my house)

I'm inclined to believe that Stormy started it bc she has been VERY aggressive since we started feeding raw and like I said, Kya doesn't act like this and I'm afraid she will do it again now.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Dog Fight in our house   Dog Fight in our house EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 9:24 pm

I should meantion that as soon as I was near enough, everyone but Stormy stopped the attacks.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Dog Fight in our house   Dog Fight in our house EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 10:06 pm

Raw is seen by the dog as a very high value food. Much more so than kibble since it really requires focus and attention to chewing and eating. I would consider it accurate to say that dogs could become more protective over their resources while eating raw, but there is no connection to outright aggression and feeding raw. Were the bowls down? Had a meal just been had? Perhaps since the food is so high value, it must be worked harder for? I have been feeding raw for almost 2 years now and have not experienced any aggression.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Dog Fight in our house   Dog Fight in our house EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 10:15 pm

Yes, everyone had JUST been fed.

I just dont know what to do because my dog went after ME. Thats not acceptable in any way. I dont understand how a dog that has never tried to hurt someone else would have gone into a fight like that. (kya i mean.)

I think im more scared and shaken than anything but i dont know how to prevent that from happening again.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Dog Fight in our house   Dog Fight in our house EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 11:46 pm

That sounds horrible. I would be shaken up too. It is unacceptable for a dog to go for you, but it does happen sometimes in the middle of a dog fight (often by accident). Is it possible that you were just caught in the crossfire, or was he definitely going for you?

When a new dog comes into the home, sometimes there are a few skirmishes until things settle down. There are other people on here who have had that problem and will be able to offer you good advice, as well as reassure you that things settle down with time.

It's hard to know how to prevent it, since you didn't see the start. Keep an eye on them so that if there are any other issues, you can break it up quickly, and work out what the cause is. You can always separate the dogs sometimes if you have to leave the room, or crate one of them, if it would make you feel happier. It doesn't have to be forever, just while they all settle down and get used to there being a new dog in the house.

Once dogs are fighting, other dogs nearby often get drawn in. That could be how Kya got involved. Hopefully this was just a one-off.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Dog Fight in our house   Dog Fight in our house EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 12:01 am

Thanks Ghost.this made me feel alot better.

I dont know if it was a fluke but she turned and lunged for me, that is how my shirt got ripped. It was literaal almost my hand, when I tried to grab her. I probably shouldnt have but I was afraid of what would have happened if I didnt grab someone to stop it. I just grabbed the closest ne and said "No". I stepped back, released her and thenvshe lunged.

Im giving us both a time out, she is in the garage for the night.

The two huskies are acting like they are best friends. They are passed out asleep together n the bed. Its just...odd
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: Dog Fight in our house   Dog Fight in our house EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 12:57 am

I am really lucky, the only dog fights I have had to break up are ones that could be stopped by shouting, which I guess means they weren't serious. You could try throwing cold water on them if shouting doesn't work.

I'm glad the huskies are friends again. Funny that dogs can forget these things so quickly but we humans feel shaken up for ages.

You said that Stormy has been a bit aggressive since switching to raw, but it seems unlikely to be the food. Did anything else change at the same time? Did you switch to raw around the time you got Rio? Just wondering what could be the cause of it.

Anyway I hope you get a peaceful night!
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Dog Fight in our house   Dog Fight in our house EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 3:28 pm

my Girls Can Get Into it After gIving Raw .. I seen it happen 3 Times EVery time It Happened .. I Noted They Jus Got Raw .. But yet They r best friends Its Odd !
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Dog Fight in our house   Dog Fight in our house EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 4:20 pm

Muddy~Mira wrote:
my Girls Can Get Into it After gIving Raw .. I seen it happen 3 Times EVery time It Happened .. I Noted They Jus Got Raw .. But yet They r best friends Its Odd !

yes, that's exactly what happened. No one was fighting over food, but they had just finished eating their dinner.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Dog Fight in our house   Dog Fight in our house EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 4:22 pm

Ghost wrote:

You said that Stormy has been a bit aggressive since switching to raw, but it seems unlikely to be the food. Did anything else change at the same time? Did you switch to raw around the time you got Rio? Just wondering what could be the cause of it.

Anyway I hope you get a peaceful night!

We switched to raw a few days before we got Rio. It wasn't done like that on purpose, because we really didn't think we were going to get Rio. (Rio had been lost). We started giving raw, and then the next day Rio was found. Then a few days after, we went and got her.

I thought maybe Stormy just felt threatened bc Rio was here, which I could work with. What I can't work with is the fear that I'm going to be attacked if I come at her the wrong way.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: Dog Fight in our house   Dog Fight in our house EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 8:30 pm

It doesn't sound like it's the raw then, that's probably just coincidental. It is common to have a few teething problems when a new dog joins the family as they all have to get used to each other. Hopefully it will just settle down - keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Dog Fight in our house   Dog Fight in our house EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 9:42 pm

I agree I would try and give all of the dogs some attention.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dog Fight in our house   Dog Fight in our house Empty

Back to top Go down

Dog Fight in our house

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1