It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... Empty
PostSubject: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 6:46 am

This is a Husky website with a few Malamutes (gorgeous ones at that;) ) as well, but I am a little bit surprised that no one has brought up Klee Kai's that I've seen. All I know about them is that they are bred to look like small huskies. Sort of a designer breed I guess, but seems somewhat perfect for my girlfriend who fell in love with Keeonah, but doesn't want to take on something quite as big and athletic, because she has a very petite frame.

Is anyone here familiar with them? Or has a friend of a friend or something? Is there no love of them, and they are taboo here or something? lol!

She is preparing to move to a house with a nice fenced backyard, and wants me to help her start looking, butttt... I'm a little clueless scratch
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 9:01 am

We've talked about them before. A lady I know has one and it's very cute, but way skitish of strangers. They are recognized by UKC, so I would try to find a breeder who shows them. I think I'm friends with one or two breeders who seem reputable on FB. I could try and dig them up for you.

My main issue with them is that they allow for being skittish around stangers in their breed standard! It's a freaking toy dog who's only purpose is to look cute and be a good pet. Why on earth would you want to have it be skittish around anyone?! That plus there are a lot of joke breeders out there that just see them as a big pay day since they usually go for around $2,000 a pup.

Klee Kai association of america breeders list
http://www.akkaoa.org/breedersdirectory.htm

I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

Female Join date : 2012-04-02

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 9:14 am

I'm not impressed with the breed either. Apart from them not being very nice dogs, their eyes bug out like a lot of toy breeds do which totally ruins the appeal.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 9:37 am

I know it'll be a little more difficult to find, but why not just a small female husky?

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 9:45 am

Consider the Shiba Inu, stubborn as a Husky but on a smaller scale.

http://www.shibas4life.us/

http://national.shibarescue.org/listings/

Breeder listing: http://www.evergreenshibaclub.org/breeder_dir.htm
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 11:04 am

To me they are not sled dogs and the origin of the breed is a bit questionable. Not a fan.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 11:05 am

Ick.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 11:56 am

They look like a cross between a pomeranian and a husky, IMO. I don't like it Mad
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 12:53 pm

I have a friend who has one. If you raise the dog around other people it won't be so skittish. This one was the friendly. I wanted one and I researched the heck out of them. The reason they are expensive is they are rare. They are like 1-2 pups come out of the litter. They would show one and sell the other. English bulldogs are the same way. My mother in law bred english bulldogs. Their personality is nothing like a husky or malamute. This one was not stubborn at all. maybe I am a weirdo because I think they are soo cute!!

I wanted a littler dog then for Maggie because she loves loves loves little dogs, however I am drawn to malamutes though.
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 1:08 pm

Funny thing this video was on my FB page yesterday about one of those dogs

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1549846493001/dog-jets-before-getting-fixed-in-colorado-/
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 1:51 pm

Ya I wanted one also, they are rare and the more I looked at them, the more rare it was to find a cute one... A lot seem to look a bit bug eyed an homely... Lol
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 1:57 pm

brady.law wrote:
Ya I wanted one also, they are rare and the more I looked at them, the more rare it was to find a cute one... A lot seem to look a bit bug eyed an homely... Lol

Seriously!! My friends looks like a mal or husky puppy and it is 3 years old! I wanted one like that. They also have 2 huskies.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 2:03 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
I have a friend who has one. If you raise the dog around other people it won't be so skittish. This one was the friendly. I wanted one and I researched the heck out of them. The reason they are expensive is they are rare. They are like 1-2 pups come out of the litter. They would show one and sell the other. English bulldogs are the same way. My mother in law bred english bulldogs. Their personality is nothing like a husky or malamute. This one was not stubborn at all. maybe I am a weirdo because I think they are soo cute!!

I wanted a littler dog then for Maggie because she loves loves loves little dogs, however I am drawn to malamutes though.

I just didn't like them because they don't look natural. I think maybe if I SAW one, I'd think different, but I've seen pit bulls that are bred into "mini pits" too and I think they are ugly as well.

I just don't see the point in breeding a dog like that down to a smaller size. If you want a small northern breed, get a pom or a member of the small spitz family. Just I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... 2144500265 though!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 2:17 pm

Tiff&Kya wrote:
norbreedslove wrote:

I just didn't like them because they don't look natural. I think maybe if I SAW one, I'd think different, but I've seen pit bulls that are bred into "mini pits" too and I think they are ugly as well.

I just don't see the point in breeding a dog like that down to a smaller size. If you want a small northern breed, get a pom or a member of the small spitz family. Just I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... 2144500265 though!

Alaskan klee kai was not purposely made to create a mini husky it was by accident at first. They look fine to me. I think you have to see one in person. I wasn't fond of them until I saw it in person. Alaskan Klee Kai is a member of the spitz family lol. They are a cross between a sibe, Alaskan husky, Schipperke and American Eskimo Dogs. To be honest they have no known health issues of a malamute or husky. They live long too. If I was to get a little dog Id get one. However I am not. lol

The pits aren't called mini pits. they are just simply called bullies. They are pit and an english bulldog cross. lol I know too much.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 2:21 pm

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 4:18 pm

We've definitely discussed AKK's before, just they aren't as common, not recognized yet by the AKC, and most husky lovers don't prefer them. I see a lot of generalizations being made which I've seen in past threads that bother me. Two in particular are their skittishness and less than desirable looks. First, a truly reputable AKK breeder works to breed out the health problems AND breeds for good temperament. A good breeder will produce well rounded pups who are not overly skittish like a lot of people claim they are. As for looks, of course they are not going to look like huskies if they are crossed with other breeds to make them smaller. Also, how husky-like they will look also depends on the size you look at. The toys and miniatures look a little odd, especially the toys...they look like husky-chihuahua crosses to me. The Standard size AKK's look a lot more like normal huskies in general.

I could write so much more since I heavily researched them when we considered getting one, unfortunately I'm on my phone and the baby is starting to fuss. I would like to say though that I've met a Miniature size AKK from a good breeder who didn't look bad at all in my opinion and it had a great personality, not skittish and just generally very well rounded.

Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 5:12 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
here is the post...

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t35-alaskan-klee-kai-s

Haha last posted in 2009... not surprised i didn't see it.

Thank you for all of the fair, unbiased opinions. Like I said, I am not familiar with them at all, and she was really only interested in them because they looked like a small husky. If they aren't really anything like huskies behaviorally, then they aren't the right breed for her. She loves everything Keeonah is (for good reason Razz ), but at only 30lbs right now, she is already too strong for her to handle out and about. As far as finding a small female, Keeonah is one lol!

I love shiba inu's, and considered one before deciding on a husky. All of my reading suggests that they are even more stubborn and difficult to train than a husky is. She's looking for the goldie locks breed. Husky too big, klee kai too smalll, but __________________ is juuust right Razz
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 5:49 pm

Oh there are definitely some really, really cute klee kais out there, but there are a lot of not so cute ones too. I'd almost be afraid to get a puppy! lol. I'd rather an adult, so I knew what they were going to look like!

Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 6:16 pm

Ditto the earlier comment about Shiba Inus.
I've known two and they were both great dogs, except they barked a lot.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 7:39 pm

norbreedslove wrote:

The pits aren't called mini pits. they are just simply called bullies. They are pit and an english bulldog cross. lol I know too much.

I think I would have to see one in person.

I know they aren't called that, but that's what I call them bc most people think bullies are all bully breeds in general, not just the little ones. To me they look like little demons.

I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... Bullyp10

That's just UGLY IMO. lol.
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 7:57 pm

That looks like the dog in the first live action hulk when he gets mutated into a giant.

Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 8:02 pm

Tiff&Kya wrote:
That's just UGLY IMO. lol.

Wouldn't be so bad if it had taller legs, but I have to aggree, thats a creepy looking dog!

My friend has a Klee Kai that she got from a breeder who also runs a Klee Kai rescue. He was very skiddish when she first got him. He does take a while to warm up around new people, but he is much better now. He does not like to play with other dogs though. He seems to just tolerate their husky, and seemed really annoyed by my two. He does however, love their cat. Their cat is the only other animal he will try to play with. He is also a good off leash dog. My friend said while he is a good dog, she will probably never get one again. Just not enough personality for her, and just doesn't fit in well with their lifestyle. The like to hike often, and he gets tired quickly!

Here is a picture of Zero. He is about 12-15 pounds.
I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... Pictur28
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 8:30 pm

Lol looks so odd... Has like chihuahua face kinda w the buggy eyes.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 8:51 pm

This is the AKK a lady in my snowdogs group has. She is very cute, but it's so annoying when you want to go pet her and she just runs away! She loves her mommy and buddy IG, but doesn't like strangers. I love their IG. She is so cute and funny! She on the other hand loves everyone!

I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... 73640_448266382075_679117075_5514362_3542463_n

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...   I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about... Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1