It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What are "Treats"?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 7:38 pm

When can I "treat" people? I'm assuming after 100 posts, just like when I can enter the photo contests? I don't see any positive or negative signs on the side of each post. Am I too new? Just curious. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
rachm408
Newborn
Newborn
rachm408

Female Join date : 2012-09-13

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 6:44 pm

I just noticed today that I have a treat. Is there any way to find out which post it was received on? I already looked through all my posts (not difficult since there aren't many yet) and couldn't tell. I didn't see the green bar or anything.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 6:50 pm

Everyone starts out with one treat.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
counter
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 1:43 am

100 posts and I still don't see where I now have the ability to treat others. Maybe I have to let an administrator turn that option on for me? Or maybe wait until tomorrow. Not sure. Hopefully I can treat in the morning.
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 2:03 am

Sorry Kevin, I have well over 100 posts and the treat ability still hasn't come back for me so 100 isn't the magic number you're after
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 8:01 am

Husky mum wrote:
Sorry Kevin, I have well over 100 posts and the treat ability still hasn't come back for me so 100 isn't the magic number you're after

Doh! Well that stinks. Does anyone know what the magic number is? And what CAN I do now that I have 100 posts? HOTM photo submissions? Is that it?
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 8:36 am

counter wrote:
Husky mum wrote:

Doh! Well that stinks. Does anyone know what the magic number is? And what CAN I do now that I have 100 posts? HOTM photo submissions? Is that it?

I believe that's pretty much it for now Smile

Keep posting and you'll get there!
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 9:05 am

So this must be some sort of secret number? Haha. It's like a conspiracy! I might be new to the board, and I might be new to the dog world (just 5 years so far), but I've done so much research into just about every dog-related area, that I've amassed plenty of knowledge that I hope to use to help others. I would just like the ability to reward others who have been equally helpful. I'm not sure I understand why there's a probation period. The people who remember me from thehuskyforum.com know that I'm not a troll or anything. I don't debate or offend. I'm here to gain help, and to help others. That's my sole mission. Other than that, I find the internet a big waste of my time. Haha!

Hopefully I'll be worthy of treating soon!

I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy (yet).
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 11:30 am

Kevin, the probation period was put in place until we can find a suitable way to structure the system within the restrictions of the board. People were using it as a like/dislike button and that is clearly not the way the system was designed to work. So we are working on a way to fix that. Smile

1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 11:53 am

Quote :
I'm not sure I understand why there's a probation period.
Its nothing against you personally. From what I understand, ALL new members have to wait for the magic number. There's no way to allow certain people to treat and others to not (I'm sure if there were the admins would be doing it that way instead.) Its a safeguard because like was stated earlier, something that is helpful to a brand new owner/member, is something that is common knowledge to those (like yourself) who have done all this research, so getting a treat for repeating something over and over again to new members is ridiculous. I think there has also been some misuse (taking away of treats) for people who are new and don't like being told that they're doing something wrong by someone. I'm not sure what the magic number is as this was inacted after I reached it apparently, but I know you'll get there soon enough!!
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 2:46 pm

Well, at least I can enter pics into HOTM. I'm not trying to build up a high post count to feel popular. Ha! I've been on some forums for 5 years and have 400 posts, while others have been on the same forum for 5 months and have 4,000 posts. The more I post on here means the less time I've been spending with my dogs. What's more important!?!
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 8:57 pm

I think at some point, someone told me that the mods are trying to figure out a fair way for this "treat" program. Here's my input:

This might be too much work for the mods, but anytime someone awards or removes a treat, the action could be sent to the mods. The mods would be able to see the exact post/thread that the treat action took place, and you could determine if it was within the guidlines/rules or not. If someone is trying to remove a treat because they disagree with someone, or feel attacked, the mods would make the final call. You could put it in the rules that you don't need to explain yourself. We, as board members, should trust the mods. If we don't, then go to a board where you do. Likewise, if someone is trying to award a treat for the wrong reason, the mods could shoot down the request. You're the mod for a reason. You shouldn't have to explain yourself, as that would probably create too much work. Maybe someone, or a small dedicated group, could step up and be the Treat Mod/s, and take ONLY that on as an additional duty, with no other mod responsibilities, if it's deemed that the Treat Mod work is enough to keep busy.

I know this thread is long and some people's replies were more than I have time to spend reading. I apologize if someone already came up with this idea and was shot down.

Hope I can be of assistance.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 11:07 pm

It's a great idea, Kevin. Unfortunately, we don't have the power to do that on this board. Chris explained in previous posts that while this forum/platform is incredibly stable, we chose a very user-friendly forum that doesn't allow us a whole lot of modifications. We've discussed that idea and wish we could implement it, but we just don't have the power to do something like that.

Perhaps Chris could elaborate more.

Thanks, as always, for the suggestion!

Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Male Join date : 2013-03-06

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 12:22 am

From the outside looking in (non-mod) I don't see a way you can perfect the "treat" option. If someone feels they were help they would get to give attempt, effectively like like/dislike button.

Unfortunately the like/dislike option is used throughout social media apps that it will be hard to program users to reward "expert" knowledge.
Back to top Go down
ZoeTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
ZoeTheHusky

Male Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 1:17 am

Mod's could just notice who is active/intelligent/helpful on the forum and make judgement calls to selectively give the ability to people? It's not such a big thing that people wouldn't come to the forum if they didn't have it. If someone wanted it really badly, it would encourage them to post intelligently and help people more.
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 1:21 am

Just noticed all the grammar errors, that's what I get for typing on the iPhone. Stupid phone. Hopefully everyone will get what I meant.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 10:44 am

Quote :
This might be too much work for the mods, but anytime someone awards or removes a treat, the action could be sent to the mods. The mods would be able to see the exact post/thread that the treat action took place, and you could determine if it was within the guidlines/rules or not. If someone is trying to remove a treat because they disagree with someone, or feel attacked, the mods would make the final call. You could put it in the rules that you don't need to explain yourself. We, as board members, should trust the mods. If we don't, then go to a board where you do. Likewise, if someone is trying to award a treat for the wrong reason, the mods could shoot down the request. You're the mod for a reason. You shouldn't have to explain yourself, as that would probably create too much work. Maybe someone, or a small dedicated group, could step up and be the Treat Mod/s, and take ONLY that on as an additional duty, with no other mod responsibilities, if it's deemed that the Treat Mod work is enough to keep busy.

It is true in the DB each post has to have a field for treats. Is a treat there YES or NO. If so How many + or -.

The problem comes with pulling that information from the DB in an intuitive and interactive way in which our mods could "police" the system.

To make this possible, in a manner where we could actually examine treat by treat instances would require creating a modification to the board in such a manner as to create flags and dump all this information gathered directly from the DB some place.

That type of modification to the forum is impossible with our current host. We can not make drastic changes to the way some systems are run, the treat or reputation system being on of them, unless we actively sought out a new host.

This is also a more Hands on approach then I think many of the mods would like. Though 100s of treats aren't given out every day, judging on a case by case bases for every treat sounds very time consuming. I think ideally would we want something that could be a little easier on everyone.

Sorry Kevin, hope that explains the limitations better.

Quote :
From the outside looking in (non-mod) I don't see a way you can perfect the "treat" option. If someone feels they were help they would get to give attempt, effectively like like/dislike button.

Unfortunately the like/dislike option is used throughout social media apps that it will be hard to program users to reward "expert" knowledge.

I agree 100%

That is why a "probation" period revolving around post numbers or how many treats you have before it unlocks, though not ideal, is a solid solutions.

If I need X posts or Y number of treats before I can treat I take some time looking at other threads and reading. Becoming a member of the community and understanding the flow and the people on the board.

As this happens I start to understand why a treat was given to someone, or why it was taken away. I could see when the forum gets heated or childish and see not many negative treats are there.

I could UNDERSTAND the system before I was given access to it slightly better then If I were dropped into the deep end so to speak and instantly thought it was a LIKE and DISLIKE button.

Now I'm not stupid. I know this is a very idealistic way of looking at it, and assuming all people mature or take the time to research things like this. I also understand how unfair it is for those who want to treat but can't and would use it properly.

IAHT - Brought Willow Home

Now I'm using this thread as an example. MOST of the treats on it were balanced out by myself, or other mods.

Though the tone and direction of the thread could have been kinder or more positive nothing written warranted a + or - . Yet they were flying around that thread like crazy. Some people took offence and instantly lashed out how ever they could.

Though there is nothing wrong with defending yourself or your actions that isn't what we want the treat system to be used for.

Quote :
Mod's could just notice who is active/intelligent/helpful on the forum and make judgement calls to selectively give the ability to people? It's not such a big thing that people wouldn't come to the forum if they didn't have it. If someone wanted it really badly, it would encourage them to post intelligently and help people more.

This could actually be done semi automatically and is an idea we have been kicking around. Giving the ability to treat to individual people is possible, albeit very time consuming as I would need to shuffle and create user groups to achieve this.

Instead of a post count lock out period we could place a Treat count Lock out probation period. Where as instead of X number of posts before you could treat, the community (You guys) would have the power to decide who can treat and who can't instead.

It however is just as flawed or more so.

Let me elaborate.

Lets say John Q joins the forum and is a really intelligent poster and has helped a lot of the members of the forum. John however doesn't post a lot, in the 3 months he has been a member he has 50 posts and 7 treats.

Frank S also joined around the same time. He has 450 posts and 3 treats. Frank posts almost every day but doesn't offer as much helpful advice. He is a first time dog owner here for advice and the community.

The treat system would become available to all members once they reached 4 treats (3 more than what you start with).

In the above scenario John could treat as he has 7, but Frank couldn't as he only has 3.

Now this could possibly allow "newbies" to unlock the ability to treat sooner, but it could make it much much longer on others. First time dog owners aren't likely to receive many treats but are the ones most helped by the forum so they should have a say too.

I do enjoy that the community can decide when you are "ready" and it could be unlocked on your first post or 2000th, but you need to understand that is a double edged sword.

I know the current system is unfair.... but the original system was just as unfair where everyone had access to it right away.

So our options become

Do we remove it completely?
Do we remove the ability to treat Negatively?
Do we place a posting count lock out?
Do we place a Treat count lock out?
Some outside the box solution we don't have yet?

We have chosen the lesser of the evils right now, post count. It allows everyone to unlock it after X # of posts. The reason I don't say what the number is because people shouldn't race to achieve it but become a member of the community and understand the board before they use it.

Many of you wanting the "ability to treat" right now are knocking on the door however, and almost have it.

I know it sucks, I know it isn't fair. If it hadn't been abused SO MANY times we wouldn't have this lock out, but it was and we do. All I can say is I'm sorry, I know most of you are mature intelligent people. It however only takes one ASSHAT to ruin a good thing.

~Chris~

Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 12:11 am

Is everyone allowed to treat again??
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 12:26 am

I don't believe the mods have made a decision. I know I can answer that not everyone is allowed to treat - I know I can't.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 15, 2013 2:52 pm

The part on profile that deals with Statistics - did admin decide to remove it? I couldn't find it on my profile when I checked. (Sorry if I missed it in a previous post).
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 15, 2013 3:06 pm

UndarthAngipoo wrote:
The part on profile that deals with Statistics - did admin decide to remove it? I couldn't find it on my profile when I checked. (Sorry if I missed it in a previous post).

The statistic Page should still be there. If it isn't let me know and I'll try and figure out why. I use it almost every day to track down posts by users and other things.

There was, for a brief period, the ability to see how many treats someone gave or removed on that page I removed.

I felt it invasive and kind of defeated the purpose of the system.

~Chris~

Puppy
Puppy
Wy Renegade

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 15, 2013 4:14 pm

Have you determined the number at which this system become available yet, or is that still up in the air? If you have do you plan to let that number be know or will it remain a secret? I've seen a few posts I would have liked to have treated, but don't have the ability yet.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 15, 2013 4:15 pm

It's just a temporary measure at this point. We are voting on a final decision this week.

Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 15, 2013 5:01 pm

Ok we're screwing around with some things in the admin section to try and resolve this.

The board might look a little funny as we do and I'm not sure exactly when and how long it will.

I just wanted to give you guys a heads up.

~Chris~

Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 15, 2013 11:59 pm

Tika wrote:
UndarthAngipoo wrote:

The statistic Page should still be there. If it isn't let me know and I'll try and figure out why. I use it almost every day to track down posts by users and other things.

There was, for a brief period, the ability to see how many treats someone gave or removed on that page I removed.

I felt it invasive and kind of defeated the purpose of the system.

~Chris~

Sorry - my mistake... I didn't mean to say the Stats page wasn't there - just that the treats given wasn't showing up anymore.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   1 - What are "Treats"? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are "Treats"?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next