It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Need to know some information about Siberian Huskys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rebecca888
Newborn
Newborn

Need to know some information about Siberian Huskys Empty
PostSubject: Need to know some information about Siberian Huskys   Need to know some information about Siberian Huskys EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 6:09 am

Hi, my name is Rebecca.

I have a 17 month old female Samoyed x Japanese Spitz and I am thinking of purchasing a female or male Siberian Husky puppy for her as a companion.

I have been told that maybe i should look for a submissive breed as a companion for my girl. Also that it will not matter if I get a male or female for her. My girl is quite dominent so I need to know that if I get a female, they wont end up fighting when the puppy is older.

Is the siberian husky a submissive breed?
Also, I'd like to know a bit about the siberian husky. I understand that they like to howl and that is fine but do they howl for long periods during the night and also during the day? Are they destroyers of plants, clothes etc or love to dig holes everywhere?
I understand that they would love to run and I would be hoping that they would both end up getting tired.

Is the siberian husky a hyperactive breed as I already have one with my samoyed x and don't think I could handle another one unless they both wore each other out lol.

Any help would be much appreciated as I need to know if the siberian husky is going to be the right type of dog to get.

Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Need to know some information about Siberian Huskys   Need to know some information about Siberian Huskys EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 9:02 am

You've come to the right place!

I don't own a female Husky, but a lot of friends of mine do and from what I've noticed that most female Huskies tend to want to be the dominate one. I think in you're situation you should either go through a rescue and have them match you up with a good fit for you and you're dog. If you want to get a puppy, then I personally would go male to avoid later problems down the road with the girls fighting to be alpha.

As for howling, yes they do! My guy is very vocal! He really only gets super loud when he is really excited, want's someone to play with him, or if he's by himself. Huskies are big talkers!

As for destroying things, any dog will do that if not properly trained or if they are not exercised enough. Most do it out of boredom.

They do like to dig! My yard has little and big landscaping holes all over it thanks to my guy!

Huskies in general love to run! So if you bike, rollerblade, jog, hike, walk, etc. they will be a great partner for you! Our guy loves to do all of the above.

I wouldn't say Huskies are hyper, just active *hehe*. Although the dog is full grown by the age of one, their mind set stays a puppy until they are at least 2 year's old, if not longer for some. If I were you honestly, I would adopt an adult, since you don't want to deal with the puppy phase.

A good tip is to also buy a book. Read up and do as much research as possible!

Click on the link below and that will also give you a lot of information.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/siberian_husky/

This is a good thread to check out! It has a lot of good information that could be helpful to you from different members.

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t683-so-you-re-thinking-of-getting-a-husky
Back to top Go down
evelazquez
Teenager
Teenager
evelazquez

Male Join date : 2012-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Need to know some information about Siberian Huskys   Need to know some information about Siberian Huskys EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 3:29 pm

The best advise I can give you is watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRG5LDBcgUE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Need to know some information about Siberian Huskys   Need to know some information about Siberian Huskys EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 4:21 pm

So.....You want a Siberian Husky

Need to know some information about Siberian Huskys Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need to know some information about Siberian Huskys   Need to know some information about Siberian Huskys Empty

Back to top Go down

Need to know some information about Siberian Huskys

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1