It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Shedding?.........

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gabriel
Newborn
Newborn

Shedding?......... Empty
PostSubject: Shedding?.........   Shedding?......... EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 5:48 pm

We are proud new parents of a wonderful Red Sib. He is almost a year old. This is our first time going through the shedding process. Could anyone shed some light on this subject on how long it will last, whats normal, how much is to much, how to get through it, everything that goes along with this subject. He is shedding like crazy and has been for month to 5 weeks now.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Shedding?......... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding?.........   Shedding?......... EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 6:12 pm

Funny I thought we had something on this here? any way WELCOME! post some pics as soon as you can I'm a sucker for the reds Smile our 2 are 2 and 6 and one sheds more than the other and so far we have been through 2 coat blows that will last almost 2 months! everyone has their own trick for the shedding and some cost more than others but for us we use a 2 step process everyday they are shedding. after many trial and error we ended up with the fur buster from wal-mart as it was cheaper than the furminator and the shed n blade that look like a looped tooth comb with a handle. we use the fur buster first as it gets a ton of under coat out and then go over them with the blade to get all the left over's off. the best trick is to keep up with it and do it outside! now some people spend a ton of money on groomers and high velocity dryers to blow the coat out but for us that is not in the budget so the brushes work fine. also you might want to look into the food you are feeding as a low quality food will increase the shedding in your pup. there is a funny saying that huskies only shed 2 times a year but the coat blows last 6 months! i will say we have not had a ton of hair around since they have blown their coat but we still get fur balls around.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Shedding?......... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding?.........   Shedding?......... EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 5:56 pm

My sympathies to all enduring the coat blowing right now. lol How long it lasts and how much you get really depend on your dog and your grooming habits. Some dogs lose their coat in a couple weeks and others can take months to finish blowing. Personally, my sibe loses more fur during his spring blow versus his fall blow...getting rid of that excess winter coat. Wink I'm a lucky one (yeah right!) and my sibe generally takes a full two months to completely blow his coat give or take a week. *sigh* How often your sibe blows coat can also depend on the environment as well. When we lived in Washington state our sibe blew his coat twice a year, now that we live in Florida he has blown his coat four times in a single year which I hear is normal for warmer climates...but that means my sibe has been blowing coat for 8 out of the 12 months this year alone. Rolling Eyes

What gets me through my sibes 8 week shedding period is daily vacuuming, I blow out my sibes undercoat 2 or 3 times a week and brush him out with an undercoat rake and a Furminator 3 times a week. Without using a high velocity dryer to blow out undercoat I would have to brush my sibe every day for at least an hour to stay sane. Blowing my sibe out 2-3 times a week with the high velocity dryer and brushing when I use the dryer keeps my house even more fur free for longer and WAY requires less effort on my part than just brushing alone. I could not live through another coat blow without my hv dryer. LOL

Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

Male Join date : 2009-12-04

Shedding?......... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding?.........   Shedding?......... EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 8:53 pm

If your sibe is almost a year old then he prob is doing what they call the BIG SHED its when he is shedding all of his puppy fur. This is by far the worst one they do in my opinion
Back to top Go down
britandsteven
Puppy
Puppy
britandsteven

Female Join date : 2010-01-18

Shedding?......... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding?.........   Shedding?......... EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 12:54 am

I find that brushing them daily really does help, and I really prefer the rakes, but once every week I go all out and line brush. Line brushing requires a comb. The trick is to use your hand to go against the grain so to speak and brush right between your hand and the part where the skin is exposed. I'm sorry if this sounds a little confusing but I am trying my best to explain... but line brushing attacks the coat right at the problem (undercoat) instead of brushing the surface. Line brushing is VERY tedious work, I find that working on one side at a time makes it easier, I taught Icon to lay on one side and reinforce calm behavior, it is a training technique I was taught at class called "dead dog" and it can also be used for funner applications otherwise known as "play dead".... but always be careful to avoid brush-burn, it can be very painful! when i adopted ecko she was brush-burnt really bad over her ribs, areas by bone (ribs, hips, feet etc.) are more susceptible to brush burn than others. I also find that while bathing using a rubber mega toothed comb (zoom groom by zanies is great) while rinsing shampoo helps to head the problem off. My dogs really seem to fuzz out after bathing:)
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Shedding?......... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding?.........   Shedding?......... EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 12:46 pm

Oh here we go again with the shedding season! Mya just started shedding her "winter coat". I say "winter coat" b/c we're in Miami..lol.

After only brushing her for 5MIN with the furminator this is what I got! A lot of the hair flew away or ended up in my hair, but you get the picture..lol!

Shedding?......... Hair

I heard that you can sell your huskies fur to help out husky rescues? Have any of you heard of this or tried it?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Shedding?......... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding?.........   Shedding?......... EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 12:58 pm

Ginger started blowing her coat a week or two ago, but now, she's shedding in clumps in her hind legs...I use the Furminator and then brush her out to fluff her coat up and make her pretty.

You may find the Furminator for about 40% less on Amazon.com vs. retail. I bought it not knowing I would want it with the FURejector...so if you do end up getting a Furminator or a brush, get one that you can press a button to release the fur from the comb.

I take Ginger to the park near by, tether her to a tree, and brush her out hoping the wind blows the fur away. I leave about a 10 ft radius of fur scattered in the grass when i leave....

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Shedding?......... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding?.........   Shedding?......... EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 1:23 pm

Odin sheds that much daily for the past 3-4 months now Sad I don't see an end in sight...

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Shedding?......... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding?.........   Shedding?......... EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 1:29 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Odin sheds that much daily for the past 3-4 months now Sad I don't see an end in sight...

Kristina!
You have shedding x 5!!!
affraid

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Shedding?......... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding?.........   Shedding?......... EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 2:06 pm

I know... that's why we invested in the dyson. AND IT WAS THE BEST DECISION EVER! lol

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Shedding?......... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding?.........   Shedding?......... EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 2:20 pm

The Dyson? Is that a vacuum? I need to get a new one ASAP!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Shedding?......... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding?.........   Shedding?......... EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 3:20 pm

Yes. But they are serious $$!! We lucked out and got ours from some idiot who had no idea what he had for $40!!!!!

Here is mine: http://www.amazon.com/Dyson-All-Floors-Cyclone-Upright-Cleaner/dp/B0007LJO2C

Back to top Go down
myndsplyntur
Puppy
Puppy
myndsplyntur

Female Join date : 2009-11-11

Shedding?......... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding?.........   Shedding?......... EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 4:02 pm

BONFIRE HUSKIES wrote:
If your sibe is almost a year old then he prob is doing what they call the BIG SHED its when he is shedding all of his puppy fur. This is by far the worst one they do in my opinion

I agree, we haven't had a blow out as bad as this one...
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Shedding?......... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding?.........   Shedding?......... EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 4:09 pm

Wow, yeah $360! I'm sure we can find one on Ebay or something. Ivan is really good about finding things cheaper when he puts his mind to it..lol. Do you have a tile or carpet? I find it hard to find a vacuum that works well on tile =\
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

Shedding?......... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding?.........   Shedding?......... EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 4:20 pm

What's "brush-burn"??? Many years of brushing huskies and I have never heard of this!! confused
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Shedding?......... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding?.........   Shedding?......... EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 4:22 pm

We have a lot of tile but we have big area rugs. It does OK on tile, honestly I don't use it that much on the hard floors. I just use the broom. I enjoy collecting a big ball of hair with the broom for some reason lol It's like a competition whenever I sweep... how much hair can I collect this time?! lol

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Shedding?......... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding?.........   Shedding?......... EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 6:00 pm

Kristina you're hilarious! The funny thing is that when I sweep and I get a huge ball of hair I'm calling Ivan all happy like "crapppp look what i picked up this time!!!" LOL!! I can't sweep everyday between work, the gym, and actually caring for the muts so I need a vacuum that works on tile. Not to mention cooking and other normal people house duties..lol. I'm sure the Dyson does well though. As long as it picks up all the hair/dirt daily and I can sweep every few days I'm happy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shedding?......... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shedding?.........   Shedding?......... Empty

Back to top Go down

Shedding?.........

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1