It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

I think we're gonna start feeding raw again. Empty
PostSubject: I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.   I think we're gonna start feeding raw again. EmptySat May 12, 2012 9:07 pm

So, I'm moving this summer for school and Ava is coming with me. I'm excited because that means I'll be able to try feeding her raw again. We started her on it when she was just a puppy, but then my dad got laid off and Snickers gave us some emergency vet bills and we had to go back to kibble. Raw is ridiculously expensive around here because its just hard to find variety, but I'm hoping that will change once I'm somewhere new.

I have a few questions though. Last time, Ava hated her organs and I couldn't get her to eat anything other than the liver. Are certain organs more palatable than others? I can sear them, or maybe even mix them in with some tripe to convince her to eat them. I just wish she didn't cause me such a hassle with them. Since its been a few years, maybe she'll like them though? I have access to chicken liver, beef liver, and beef kidney and that's about it, locally. Any suggestions for other good ones that are easier to get a dog to eat?

I've ordered from Hare Today before, but the shipping was so expensive. Now I'm looking at My Pet Carnivore as a supplier. Has anyone used them before? I'm close enough to where they deliver to that I could run up and meet them sometime for an order. I've gotta find a good balance of variety and affordability though.

Any other raw suppliers around the east coast?
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.   I think we're gonna start feeding raw again. EmptySat May 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Are you in Northern WV? I'm in Central VA where we have hard enough time finding decent fresh meat for ourselves!! However.... my in-laws are just over the PA border where they have such a HUGE Amish influence in their communities that I envy them. There are ah-may-zing local butchers! I would guess that a decent local butcher would have some meat scraps available. I've never fed raw, so I'm just guessing...
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

PostSubject: Re: I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.   I think we're gonna start feeding raw again. EmptySat May 12, 2012 9:52 pm

I'm more on the southwestern side - around Huntington. I can get deer galore from friends/family who hunt, but there's not much else around. I went to two local butchers and didn't have much luck there. One was so dirty and disgusting that I wouldn't trust any meat from there no matter how well done. Another didn't actually do much butchering (???) and ordered most of their meats, so I couldn't really get any strange cuts.

I think/hope there's an Asian market in Charleston - where I'm moving to - and maybe some better butchers, but I'll have to wait to find out on that.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.   I think we're gonna start feeding raw again. EmptySat May 12, 2012 10:05 pm

It sounds like your selection of butcher shops and fresh meat is like mine!!

Oh, how I envy those who live near the Amish...
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

PostSubject: Re: I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.   I think we're gonna start feeding raw again. EmptySat May 12, 2012 10:20 pm

I know, right? It shouldn't be so difficult...
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

PostSubject: Re: I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.   I think we're gonna start feeding raw again. EmptySat May 12, 2012 10:38 pm

Oh, another question. Balancing.
I really worry about her getting all the right vitamins, but not in excess. I know that on Dogster's forums there's a spreadsheet, but I never had much luck with it. A lot of raw feeders seem to kinda estimate on this, but I'm apparently really odd and need to see it on paper to be sure. I already use Solid Gold SeaMeal some days and I'm adding in Missing Link Plus on a few other days, so I'll probably continue that. I just worry about her not getting good nutrition :/
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.   I think we're gonna start feeding raw again. EmptySat May 12, 2012 10:44 pm

Myndi,

I had issues with the girls eating their organs, so I just seared them in a pan with peanut butter. They begged for more after that. If Ava likes PB, maybe that will help her
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

PostSubject: Re: I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.   I think we're gonna start feeding raw again. EmptySat May 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Oh, I never thought of searing with peanut butter! That might just work. But wow, what a combination that would be. Ick. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

PostSubject: Re: I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.   I think we're gonna start feeding raw again. EmptyMon May 14, 2012 5:03 pm

I planned out a menu for her, once we get past the adjustment stage. How's it look?

Monday: am - beef heart//pm - chicken quarter
Tuesday: am - quail and egg//pm - chicken necks and organs with tripe
Wednesday: am - ground rabbit//pm - boneless chunks and ribs
Thursday: am - ground turkey and egg//pm - chicken quarter and organs with tripe
Friday: am - ground pork//pm - boneless chunks and pork neck
Saturday: am - turkey drumstick and gizzard/hearts//pm - sardines and organs with tripe
Sunday: am - beef heart and ribs//pm - beef gullet and chicken drumstick

The ground meats are whole grinds from Hare Today - meat, bones, and organs (and fur for the rabbit one Laughing ). The regular organs are gonna be beef/chicken liver and beef kidney. I might alternate with ground duck and rabbit since its kinda pricey.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.   I think we're gonna start feeding raw again. EmptyMon May 14, 2012 9:55 pm

Looks good, might be a bit organ heavy unless you're only giving very small portions of organ each of those days.

Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

PostSubject: Re: I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.   I think we're gonna start feeding raw again. EmptyMon May 14, 2012 10:47 pm

Its gonna be about 1.5oz of organ and 1.5oz of liver on those three days, so I think that qualifies as a really small portion Very Happy
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.   I think we're gonna start feeding raw again. EmptyMon May 14, 2012 10:51 pm

Looks fine, maybe a little bone heavy. I dont stick to the 10% PMR guideline either (usually 20-25%) but quarters, necks, ribs, and turkey can be a little bone heavy. I have a schedule up in the kitchen of how much/day/dog I'm feeding and what I need to pull out the night before. I also find it much easier (and seems to be well recommended with other raw feeders) to feed once daily. But whatever makes you comfortable Smile

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.   I think we're gonna start feeding raw again. EmptyMon May 14, 2012 11:05 pm

You should post your feeding schedule for an example, Kristina!
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

PostSubject: Re: I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.   I think we're gonna start feeding raw again. EmptyMon May 14, 2012 11:11 pm

Another raw feeder told me the same thing about the bone. I was thinking of not doing the turkey, and adding some boneless chunks with the pork neck. Do the ribs really count too? She's never actually eaten the rib bones - just cleans off all the meat and nibbles away maybe half an inch on either end. The ground mixes have bone too. I was thinking of doing away with the mixes altogether though, if feeding once a day is best. I just want her to get a little bite of something in the mornings, especially since she seems to get bursts of energy right after eating. Feeding once a day would actually be a lot easier on me lol

That's a great idea, Heather. I've been googling about feeding schedules and found a great site for GSDs where all the raw feeders posted their feeding schedules, weights, everything. It was so helpful, even though GSDs eat way more than Ava could even dream of eating. We'll have to start a thread like that...
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

PostSubject: Re: I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.   I think we're gonna start feeding raw again. EmptyTue May 15, 2012 12:53 am

Is this sufficiently less bony? lol
And I think I'll try once daily meals too, unless she starts bile vomiting. She does every now and then now because she won't eat enough, but I'm hoping she won't with raw...

Monday – bony meat (ie pork neck) plus boneless meat.
Tuesday – organs and tripe with chicken neck (something small and bony should firm up stool when feeding meals with organs, right?)
Wednesday – Ground mix (meat, bones, organs) and an egg
Thursday – Chicken quarter, organs and tripe
Friday – gizzards/hearts OR beef or pork heart
Saturday – Chicken drumstick, organs and tripe
Sunday – beef heart/egg/rib OR beef gullet/egg/rib
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.   I think we're gonna start feeding raw again. EmptyTue May 15, 2012 1:23 am

Yes, that does. Are you any good with excel? Charts and tables help me... It will matter of course how much of those you're feeding. There's quite a few online resources which give approximate bone % in bone-in meats... For example quarters are about 36% bone.

That helps me, and that's how I configure meals and feeding plans. I like numbers... Smile

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.   I think we're gonna start feeding raw again. EmptyTue May 15, 2012 2:57 am

As with anything, your feeding plan will be tailored to your individual dog. My sibe eats a very bone heavy raw diet, definitely well above the 10% but it's what works for him. Chicken quarters and pork ribs are a staple for mine and they are bone heavy.

I love seeing raw feeding menus, I like that idea for another thread. I know I've seen them many times on other forums. I don't follow a plan/menu, I just rotate around with the variety of meats I have in my freezer.

Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

PostSubject: Re: I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.   I think we're gonna start feeding raw again. EmptyWed May 16, 2012 12:41 am

Oh, I am definitely a chart person! I’ve been making them already lol. I can’t work Excel to save my life though. I’m still trying to work the numbers though and I’m working on finding all the bone percentages so I can factor it in that way.

Thanks for all the help. I’m looking forward to looking at all the menus on the other thread =]
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.   I think we're gonna start feeding raw again. EmptyFri May 18, 2012 9:03 pm

I'll agree with others saying it's not an exact science. We started pretty bone heavy, and now feed bone 1 time most weeks, 2 times if they start getting too soft. The 1 time for the week is a bone in pork piece, or a chicken quarter/turkey thigh.

Our dogs will also eat any bone we give them. We made the mistake of giving isis a mostly stripped picnic roast bone (shoulder joint and bone), and she ate most of the bone. We ended up giving her some sweet potato to help soften her up so she wasn't in pain, in that case.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.   I think we're gonna start feeding raw again. Empty

Back to top Go down

I think we're gonna start feeding raw again.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1