It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Pooping in the crate!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

Pooping in the crate! Empty
PostSubject: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 6:43 pm

Ok....here is what sniper is doing....if we leave and are gone for an hour or up to even 5 hours.....leave her in "her" room which is safe for her NOW! and a pee pad seh does fine! des both pee and poo on the pad..sometimes hits it half way but i can deal wioth that....as soon as we lock her in her crate...and come home the house reaks of shit! so i immediately take her and the crate outside...she has to have a bath right then and then i clean the crate...this is an EVERYDAY occurance....need help pronto! tired of cleaning crate outside in 30* weather and bathing her when i know its not good for her coat! any suggestions PLEASE!!!!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 8:01 pm

So are you putting a puppy pad in her crate? I'm confused... IF the pad is in her crate with her, you are just confusing her. If not, I need you to explain better WHEN she is eliminating in the crate and when she is not. Is she house trained yet?

I need more info and I need you to be a bit more clear before I can advise!

Pooping in the crate! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

PostSubject: Re: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 8:58 pm

ok so here goes...no pad in crate when she goes in teh crate...tried it once and she ate it!! all of it!! no leftovers! we tried putting her bed in her crate and though seh wouldnt SOIL it wrong! pooped all over it! she poops in the crate everytime we leave her in it then ROLLS in it!! its disgusting!! when we leave her "OUT" in "her" room when we are gone seh uses teh pee pads. hasnt had a lot of accidents since we got her in the house. she goes to the pad but we take her out every 30-45 minutes so she gets teh fact seh geos outside!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 9:20 pm

How big is her crate? If there's too much room in it, she may think it's okay for her to poop in the corner and then she just ends up lying in it. The crate should be just big enough for her to lie down and turn around in.

Did you get her from a shelter?

Back to top Go down
BONFIRE HUSKIES
Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

Male Join date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 11:08 pm

they got her from a breeder.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 11:11 pm

The reason I ask is because what she is describing is dirty dog syndrome, which is usually found in kenneled dogs, or sheltered dogs. Normally dogs who are kenneled for a large part of their life and are used to going to the bathroom where they sleep are prone to it.

But if the crate is too big, that could also be the reason.

Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

PostSubject: Re: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 10:09 am

ok i will try the smaller crate...the crate is big enough for her full grown i think....i have one that fits her perfect now so i will try that and see how it goes...thanks a lot!
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 3:30 pm

I've seen people put a divider in the full size crate that you can gradually move back until she's full grown. Not too sure where to obtain one though. I know if one of my dogs needed a divider it would have to be metal. Otherwise it will end up as shrapnel.
Back to top Go down
myndsplyntur
Puppy
Puppy
myndsplyntur

Female Join date : 2009-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 5:36 pm

The crate we bought for Roxy came with a divider, which we didn't really need because of her size, but that could be an option.
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

PostSubject: Re: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 12:04 pm

UPDATE: sniper is awesome in the crate up to 4-5 hours at a time. No pee or poo in teh crate! we put her in a very small crate! Just enough room for her to stand up and turn around and lay down in! Made me SAD but it worked! We tried this for 2 weeks! I put her back in her normal crate on monday of this week and went home and noon and no pee/poo!! woohoo! she got the idea! she is never in there over 4-5 hours without being let out. I wanna try longer, still working on that. I know I would get bored out of my mind in a crate all day! On days that my husband and I both are working the same shift I have someone go by and let her out every 5 hours and she does ok for them.
NEXT PROBLEM: We want her to sleep in her bed next to our bed at night. Well to do that she must hold her pee all night. How do we do this? I cut her water off at 7pm and she goes in her crate with the door open and pee pad down in the office until she learns. She makes a total mess in the middle of the night! i wake up to see the pads destroyed and pee and poo everywhere! last night i attempted to lock her in her crate while sleeping, this did not work, she scratched and pawed and cryed. I cannot let her do this since my daughter is sleeping in the next room and will wake her up. I am up for suggestions for this topic. Sophia our pug learned to hold her pee all night by sleeping in the bed with us I assume. but sniper is TOO BIG to sleep in the bed with us. Should i move the crate into our room at night until she feels comfortable enough? Please help THANKS!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 12:08 pm

If you are keeping her crated at night I would definitely keep her in the room with you. The pack animal mentality makes them miserable when left alone.

As for the holding it, eventually they build up that muscle and just learn. I would suggest waking up every 4-5 hours to take her outside at night if that is how long she's able to hold it in. I know it sucks, but as puppies, they just can't hold it in that long.

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 1:22 pm

i would also bring her crate into your room and like tori said you will have to get up in the middle of the night and let her out. maybe by 8-9 months she will be able to hold it all night.

Teenager
Teenager
jaxypooh

Female Join date : 2010-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 1:30 pm

I would most definitely put the crate in your room or even beside your bed where you can put your hand by it... That's what we had to do at night and it worked like a charm. I may take a few nights for her to quiet down completely.. The older they get the longer they can hold their bladder...We crated our husky for the first year at night, but we did that since the day we brought him home at 8 weeks. Then we started leaving him in our room with the door shut for about 6 mnths. Then we would let him sleep where ever he wanted after that and he did great at night. He always curled up in a ball and slept in the same spot or he would go to his crate in the middle of the night...
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

PostSubject: Re: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 2:07 pm

ok thanks a lot u guys! Im glad there is people who are willing to help and people who have been there :-) will move crate into our room tonight
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

PostSubject: Re: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 4:06 pm

ok so we brought snipers crate into our room last night.....she went to bed around 11 when we did. She was whiny about 1:30 this morning so i got up and let her out to pee and she went right back into her crate next to our bed and slept until there until 6:45 this morning! woohoo! patience is the key, this i know. maybe in a few months we will be able to leave the door open to her crate in our room and she will sleep there all niht in her warm cozy bed :-) not ours! LOL
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 4:18 pm

great news! im sure she will learn in no time Smile yep all you need is patience!

Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

PostSubject: Re: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 4:23 pm

thanks for all of the help :-)
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 5:35 pm

Oh awesome! I'm so glad that bringing the crate into the room worked out Smile And YAY for sleeping through most of the night Smile It will only get better from here! Congrats!

Back to top Go down
mcdlabs
Puppy
Puppy
mcdlabs

Male Join date : 2010-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 10:56 am

Yeah the crate should definately only be big enough for her to lay down in, with the 2 girls we do a bad thing and have them in the same crate, but its just big enough for them both to lay down in, they dont have mistakes. We put the crate in the living room right next to my chair and put a blanket over it so it was more cave like inside. All we have to say is "Take a Nap" and they go to the crate , well thats if their actually tired.

Now at 12 weeks old they are down on the landing for the night, they usually goto bed between 11p and midnight, they start whimpering about 6 am , and 75% of the time they have held it and when let out immediately do their duty, then come in and eat, and run around like psychos for the next 2-3 hours (inside and outside).

When we go away though we still crate them, mainly because were not around to respond to their needs and it causes less issues. Yes they still have accidents, sometimes I wonder if they are "on purposes" though, especially when they get mad because I take a sock away (yeah the kid doesn;t leave his door closed all the time" they wil look right at me, do that little snort and do a walking squat. I swear sometimes its just so I break out the paper towels , another favorite item to eat.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mcdlabs.com/BWS
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

PostSubject: Re: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 11:02 am

mcdlabs! too funny! i think our problem was we didnt crate train her in the beginning. she did good last night too....we let her out @ 11 and she started whimpering at 6am this morning too! then we let her out and she done both #1 and #2 :-) and while im at work during the day she is crated too because she was also getting into stuff that was dangerous like chewing electrical cords and internet cords and so on! Your pups are beautiful! wish we could have got 2 at the same time but im destined to have another one day! we live in a small 2bedroom 1 bath house and are building our very first home starting in february with plenty of extra space! we have lots of land for them to run and play as well! we do now too since we are on the same land we are building on LOL! But cant wait to watch your pups grow!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 1:52 pm

Honestly crates are just the answer to all husky issues :]

Glad this all worked out. Don't try to jump the gun though and try to get her out of the crating process as quickly as you can. They really learn to love the crate. Cheyenne has been crated since 11-12 weeks. Here we are at 16 months and i couldn't take that thing away if i tried, she loves it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pooping in the crate!   Pooping in the crate! Empty

Back to top Go down

Pooping in the crate!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1