It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

potty training regression

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

potty training regression Empty
PostSubject: potty training regression   potty training regression EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:17 am

So Freya is coming up for 8 weeks on thursday. When we brought her home she was doing so good with her toilet training. She didnt like peeing on the puppy mats, so I put news paper down, she didnt like that either.
My son spilled some water in the laundry from the cat's water dish so I got a washable cotton nappy out to absorb the liquid. Freya peed on it. Since then I've kept a cotton nappy out and she pees on them - They're washable so it's convenient too.

She was doing so good with her wees, going on the nappy every time i put her there, she was even starting to take herself there herself.
Then I introduced a different food into her diet, it upset her tummy and she had liquid BMs for a few days. Her BMs are now back to normal (except when she eats the cat food *sigh*), but since then (5 days ago) she is peeing where ever she wants. She only pees on the nappy if I put her on it.

She has never really gone poop on the nappy but we're working on it.

She had a play date with my friends 12 week old pup who just pees and poops where she likes.
Is it possible she has learned this bad habbit from the other dog, or is Freya just being a stubborn little so and so?

I dont want to take her outside to go potty until she is fully immunised. Call me paranoid but I dont know if the last tennant had a dog or if it was immunised.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: potty training regression   potty training regression EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:20 am

It's hard to tell, but regressions are normal. She could have learned it, she could just be stressed about her tummy issues and is regressing on her own.

I would start tethering her. Don't let her out of your sight while she is loose in the house. Catch her in the act and correct her.

When did you get her? She really shouldn't have even left her littermates until 8 weeks old and it concerns me that you got her so young.

potty training regression Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: potty training regression   potty training regression EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:30 am

I got her when she was 6 weeks and one day. I agree that it was too young, but cercumstances wouldnt permit for any longer.

How do I go about tethering her, I've thought about this but havnt really looked into it.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: potty training regression   potty training regression EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:35 am

Tie her leash to your belt Wink

ETA: You also haven't had her long enough to know that she won't be difficult to potty train. These are all normal things. So remember that she is still VERY young.

Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: potty training regression   potty training regression EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:37 am

thats it, simple as that.
How long do I do that for? How many days?
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: potty training regression   potty training regression EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 11:52 am

Until the accidents stop Smile.

The idea is to catch her in the act and move her to where you want her eliminate and reward. Using an umbilical you should get some warning signs as it is about to happen. She may start tugging or trying to hide or get around a corner out of sight.

Or being attached to you should notice the second she actually starts to pee, and correct her (move her to the correct location and give praise or play if she does pee there).

Clean any accidents with an enzyme cleaner.

Like Tori said it's normal for a regression(s). Just keep at it. You'll get there.

~Chris~

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: potty training regression   potty training regression EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 12:14 pm

What Chris said Wink

Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: potty training regression   potty training regression EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 12:33 pm

Thanks, I appreciate it.

How long does this tether need to be - 1.5 metres? Or just a regular leash that attaches to her collar?
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: potty training regression   potty training regression EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 2:09 pm

The idea with an umbilical is 2 fold. Not only for you to notice things Freya will do, but for her to also start to reinforce your role in her life.

When she is tied to you the idea is she needs to respect your movement. When you get up and move about your house/apartment they will need to follow you. This will pay off later when walks and leash manners come into play more and in longer intervals.

She SHOULD slowly begin to understand when the leash is on I need to "listen and follow" (follow being a relative term Razz)

Umbilical Leash

The link goes to a Canadian Company like Ruff wear. You should see a decent picture of the general idea and how much "slack" your looking to have. Generally speaking a normal 4 to 6ft leash attached to your belt should do the trick.

By no means do you need to BUY a leash like that.... It's just a good example using a leash designed for that specific reason.

~Chris~
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: potty training regression   potty training regression EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 3:11 pm

Have you thought about putting the cat food up so she can't reach it but the cat still can? Or a baby gate with a cat door, cleaning up loose stool is a nightmare.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: potty training regression   potty training regression EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 7:39 pm

Thanks Chris, I'll check it out.

Yes Brady, I'm now putting it up on my deep freezer. She didnt seem at all interested in dry food, including her own Innova I got for her, so I didnt think it a problem.

She seems to have woken up one day and decided to eat their food but not her own. Little Miss that she is.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: potty training regression   potty training regression EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 4:38 pm

I just thought I would add, that if you are going to be using the tether method with Freya, if(and when) she moves to potty inside, and you correct the behavior, this would be a great time to take her outside, to start reinforcing that outside is her ultimate target to potty. And like always, when she potties outside, celebrate it with her like a crazy person.

I understand the whole idea of the potty pads and everything, but never really agreed with them. Getting a pup to go where I want them to is cool, but if it's always in the house, the pup will associate going to the bathroom with being inside, versus learning to potty outside. I guess i never understood why anyone would want to train their pup to eliminate on a potty pad, seems counter-productive somehow.

potty training regression 2144500265 aside, I wish you luck on your oncoming journey with puppyhood, because lord knows we all had fun with it potty training regression 85993

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: potty training regression   potty training regression EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 7:02 pm

THanks, I do agre with what you've just said, it does kind of defeat the purpose. But as I stated above, the reason I'm having her go inside is because she isnt fully immunised adn we dont know if there were any dogs on the property previous to our staying here that werent immunised - Parvo can stay dormant in the ground for up to 10 years.

We have already lost a dog (Dashy-Boy in January). My eldest son wished on an eye lash for a dog, we dont know how much longer we've got with him so we got her, anything to get more smiles from him while we can. If pottying inside means reducing a risk of parvo or any other illness then it's got to happen. I can afford for my son to loose 2 dogs in the space of a year.
As soon as she is fully immunised she will be peeing and pooping ouitside.
Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it Smile
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: potty training regression   potty training regression EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 8:30 pm

I was having trouble getting Balon to understand to pee outside. I swear he came equipped with a super soaker squirt gun Very Happy. Best thing I did was to tether him to me, or one of my sons if I am not around. No chance to make a mistake. Also I have limited his intake of water. I still offer it lots during the day, but he no longer has access to full bowls of water, because he would drink it all and then be peeing everywhere lol. Try tethering, it is really working with Balon!
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: potty training regression   potty training regression EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 10:37 pm

Thanks June, I will be doing exactly that. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: potty training regression   potty training regression Empty

Back to top Go down

potty training regression

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1