It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Considering a Husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

Considering a Husky - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Considering a Husky   Considering a Husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 6:12 pm

some mals do have same sex aggressions. A well socialized malamute will be fine. Maggie is not dog agressive at all. I can have same sex mal and maggie will be fine. If your getting a pup you can socialize it with the dogs its not a problem. Also people confuse same sex aggression with dog aggression. It is not the same thing. Also mostly mals have same sex aggression around other malamutes. . They aren't shy dogs. Maggie and all the malamute I have met are outgoing. She gets a little picky with people she will come to. I met one malamute that is not outgoing but that mal was abused.

I am not saying what you read is wrong just saying what I have experienced. lol!

Last edited by norbreedslove on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
husky_by_chance
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Considering a Husky   Considering a Husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 6:19 pm

That makes sense. Its better to get first hand experiences for me anyway. Thats why im here, to learn.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Considering a Husky   Considering a Husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 6:23 pm

absolutly! I used to own a pet sitting business where I was around sibes all the time. I also have met some huskies that are just as mellow as maggie. maggie's "boyfriend" who is all sibe, has the mal personality. lol

I think it is case by case! Glad you are hear to learn! I think you will have a better feel for huskies or mals!
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Considering a Husky   Considering a Husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 7:19 pm

Sometimes I'm sad Kiara won't fetch, then I see the dogs at the dog park who won't stop bringing their owners balls to throw and I don't miss it that much. Besides she just likes to chase the dogs that do the fetching, sometimes she will pick up the ball, then drops it and walks away like "I'm over it." she only talks moderately, mostly when excited about anything, she sounds like she's being murdered when new people come over. She doesn't try to escape thank God. She doesn't destroy stuff in my room when left alone w my other dog, however she counter surfs and has a thing for my mom and dads glasses and sometimes she rearranges her decorations and I find them in my room.

Last edited by brady.law on Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Considering a Husky   Considering a Husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 7:20 pm

Huskies are too good to fetch. Smile That's what they think anyway. Why fetch when they can be chasing a squirrel?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Considering a Husky   Considering a Husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 7:28 pm

Sabaka loves to fetch! He would actually rather jump and catch the ball midair... but that's still sort of fetch, right? Wink
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Considering a Husky   Considering a Husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 7:44 pm

SabakaMom wrote:
Sabaka loves to fetch! He would actually rather jump and catch the ball midair... but that's still sort of fetch, right? Wink

Are you sure you have a true Husky and not border collie??

LOL

My huskies do not play catch either Blaze will go get the ball and put it somewhere else in the yard I think he wants us to fetch it next.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Considering a Husky   Considering a Husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 7:53 pm

My siberian LOVES fetch and catch. She loves to bring you any of her toys when you're sitting in the living room relaxing and drop them in your lap - that's how you know she wants to play.

The fetch/chase is driven by the prey/chase drive. Dogs who you want to excel at fetch need to be trained that -you- are the target and to get to you they have to bring the ball - that's why most true prey driven dogs excel at fetch. Chase driven dogs are only about the chase - they have no desire to actually get their target and once the chase stops they find something else.

Considering a Husky - Page 2 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Considering a Husky   Considering a Husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 8:01 pm

Delilah is very chase driven - however she does love to bring me her lion toy. She sits on "her side" of the couch we her head in my lap chewing on the toy - weirdo.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Considering a Husky   Considering a Husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 8:04 pm

maggie love loves to fetch and catch! She is a border collie inside. She herds all dogs!! lol
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Considering a Husky   Considering a Husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 8:51 pm

Both of mine love to play fetch and are very competitive on who can get the ball first. It's our nightly ritual!
Back to top Go down
capblossoms
Teenager
Teenager
capblossoms

Female Join date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Considering a Husky   Considering a Husky - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 7:49 am

Dante LOOOVES fetch. He will actually drop the ball in your hand if you hold it out. He is mostly quiet unless he is excited, or there are treats involved. Very rarely has he nacktalked me, but I've got to say, it's hilarious when he does. Also, the only tomes Dante EVER bowels, is when a fire truck goes by.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Considering a Husky   Considering a Husky - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 1:04 pm

You know some of that scared me too, but honestly I don't see that they are that much different then other dogs. I have a year old lab and a 4 month old husky, both can have their own minds as can any dog. I may be lucky, but Balon is really calm and chill. I have had no problem training him to do anything. And I am even getting him to come when called. I did have greyhounds before though so I am already used to dogs with prey drives, though honestly I don't see Balon being all that interested in other animals, his breeder did have cats though. I think its good to always read as much as you can, and be prepared.

We are beginning to train him to our existing invisible fence and he doesn't even have the collar yet, he is getting that this week. He already knows he is supposed to stay within the flags. He is really smart.

Good luck if you decide to get one, I don't think you'll be sorry.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Considering a Husky   Considering a Husky - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 11:27 am

Why not offer to babysit for the breeder if she ever needs it? Or if you do want to show, take one for a while and show it for her. That would be a great way to find out. Or find a local husky rescue and foster. Though you can get awesome fosters or ones that will make you hate the breed! lol. I have one right now that was returned cause he did $7,000 worth of damage to the lady's apartment! He really is nuts! And she was a little too soft for him. He needs strict rules. My girls are very mellow compared to him.

Considering a Husky - Page 2 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Thor2123
Newborn
Newborn
Thor2123

Male Join date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Considering a Husky   Considering a Husky - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 5:53 pm

Mine is very highly energetic I also have a friend with a doberman and they will play for hours with short 5 to 10 min water breaks and cool down times. I would say they are pretty even with energy that I see although i'm no expert and like everyone said each dog is different in its own way. mine is the most friendly dog i have ever seen and i grew up with several labs, retrievers and GS which are all friendly and nice dogs. He will go up to anyone and give them loving so on a bad/long day at work there is nothing like laying on my bed and getting kisses and hugs from him!!! Mine has also never once tried to escape mine does free roam in the house and other than chewing a run a few times the moment i caught him the act hes yet to do it again but he does dig in the back yard occasionally but he has stopped that lately. As for kids I have an 11 month old nephew who lives with us and he knows to be easy and when he starts licking TOO much he knows the moment I give him the command EASY he stops and just looks at him. He has never once snapped or even tried to play bite he knows its a baby they are highly intelligent even when he pulls his tail, hair, or ears. they have the most amazing personalities also i've never seen another breed like it.

My Nephew Ryan and Thor about a month or 2 ago
Considering a Husky - Page 2 Thor_a11
Back to top Go down
husky_by_chance
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Considering a Husky   Considering a Husky - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 6:54 pm

Thats a good idea. Ill need to check my fence but living with one would help. I figured hers would be about the same as my dobe is energy wise. He was pretty good at destroying things too if bored. Ill talk to her more she knows they are growing on me and it seems mosf the breeds I like tend to have some traits I worry about but they are dogs and we are responsible for them so it really comes down to what I can live with as far as traits go
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Considering a Husky   Considering a Husky - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 9:54 pm

For Saphire, while physical exercise is important, keeping her happy is all about social time and mental stimulation. We walk about 45 min in the morning and about 45 min to an hour in the evening. Other than some play and training during the day that is it for the physical. But we socialize and provide mental stimulation as much as possible. This makes us all happy.

As for training, she is super smart and listens really well the majority of the time. We still have days when I swear she has forgotten every single thing I have taught her, but they are few and far between. Its kind of like a toddler going through the terrible two's, they know the rules and the limits but they test them anyway. Then they give you that big sad face and you melt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Considering a Husky   Considering a Husky - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Considering a Husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2