It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

puppy questions.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AdamK
Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

Male Join date : 2012-05-26

puppy questions. Empty
PostSubject: puppy questions.   puppy questions. EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 12:52 pm

HI all!! Well It has been 1 week since we got shadow and things are going well for the most part. Took him to the vet on Tuesday and he had a clean bill of health! Shots next week. He is eating right, Trying to put out food 3 times a day for him to get on a good regiment. Feeding TOTW puppy pacific stream about 3/4 cup 3x a day. Stools are good and potty training seems to be working. I have him enclosed in an area so I can watch him but sometimes I will take him out to go potty he will pee (praise him and throw a party) then he will come back in I see his (sign) with tail up trying to go again. I dont know if he is trying to mark or he is just too full of water, he hasnt been drinking that much maybe stays there drinking for 20-30 seconds. Limit water? Now crating. I know he is still very young. After the first night we moved his crate in to the living room so he would interact with it more cause evreryime he would go in the bedroom he would be distracted by the cats under the bed. So I have been sleeping next to him the last 5 days slowly moving far way he usually whines for about 30 min then goes to sleep. Last night I left and went to bed in the bedroom and he was crying for an hour. Doesnt really eat his Kong with pumpkin with treats, or peanut butter. He was Howling, whining etc. I took him out at 1045 to potty and by midnight I felt that he had to go to the bathroom again so I took him out. After, I then rested next to him and he was out within 10 minutes. Thoughts? is it ok for me to be next to him or not? He barely goes in his crate throughout the day, I put treats for him to find and when I see him go in there I praise him but he comes right out. Lays right next to me during the day and wont have it any other way!! Again, I know he is young and I am prepared for the dedication and time just looking for all your advice and guidance!! Thanks guys!!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

puppy questions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: puppy questions.   puppy questions. EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 2:08 pm

Don't be afraid to put him in the crate and shut it. It's good to start crate training at a young age. Keep up the positive association with the crate.

I'm a little confused with the whole sleeping situation. Are you wanting to ultimately have him sleep in a different room? If so, there are different ways to do that. I did the "tough love" approach. I put Siku as a tiny puppy in her crate in a different room and I went to bed. lol. I did get up to let her out every 3 hours or so, but paid no attention to her screaming and howling in the mean time. She threw a fit for 3 or 4 nights, but was perfectly fine after that. You can also just have the puppy sleep in a crate in the room with you.

As for the peeing, has he peed in his area before? If so, he might still be smelling the scent of it and it makes him want to go again. How much time do you give him outside to potty? Maybe he just gets too excited and doesn't pee all the way? Those are just guesses. He's way too young to be marking, so don't worry about that. It's good that you know his signals already and if you catch him before he pees inside, I think you'll be fine and he'll probably get more "normal" when he grows a little bit more.

So far so good! Sounds like you're doing a good job!

puppy questions. Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

puppy questions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: puppy questions.   puppy questions. EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 2:13 pm

First congrats he is beautiful.

I think putting the crate in a common area is a good first step. But, I wouldn't get in the habit of laying next to him unless you want to do it forever. Although I get that you are trying to sooth him and gradually moving away, it could get to the point that he can't or more likely won't want to be crated without you being right there. I guess my concern about laying with him is that he will begin to consider that a "reward" for his unwanted behavior.

As for the whining, this is normal and if he is not in any harm and has been out to potty recently, its probably best to just ignor it . That way he learns that he doesn't get any kind of reward for whining. And if he is whining/howling, do not let him out unless its his way of letting you know he needs to potty.

To try to get him used to it when he goes in for a treat you could shut him in and then praise him and let him just sit in there for a bit while you go about doing whatever you do. Then when he is quiet and not whining, praise him again and let him out.

As for the water intake, I would never limit his water intake. Even if it means more trips out to potty.
Back to top Go down
AdamK
Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

puppy questions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: puppy questions.   puppy questions. EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 3:49 pm

sara- Thank you! I ultimatley want him out in the living room so that during the day the tv is right there. Eventually when he is potty trained and gets used to the cats we will want him with us, but during the day I want him in the living room. When I take him out, I take him out for about 10-15 minutes in a limited area (really nervous about parvo since he doesnt have all his shots) As far as night time should i stretch it to 3 hours instead of the 2 hours or wait till he is another month to take it to 3? As far as a positive crate, just keep doing what I am doing? Any other tricks to get him to like his kong?? Thank you so much for the tips!

Dena- thank you! I get the being next to him in the crate thing was just thinkin that having me there for the first week would help calm him down! Thanks for the response!!
Back to top Go down
AdamK
Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

puppy questions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: puppy questions.   puppy questions. EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 3:17 pm

Update. He has been doing awesome with the potty training, maybe will have 1 accident throughout the day, some days he doesn't! Very Happy Now I am kinda stuck on the crate training. He has been doing well for the most part with being crated usually I put him to bed at 1030. Whines for about 30 min. then goes to sleep. Two hours and I take him out, same thing again. Last night he whined for about an hour when I took him out at 5am. Put him in his crate and fell asleep outside of it (really tired). We both didnt wake up till 10am, without a peep? so wierd. I dunno if I should move his crate in to the bedroom or not. I want him in the living room during the day though. Has anyone used 2 crates? Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
AdamK
Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

puppy questions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: puppy questions.   puppy questions. EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:20 am

I have been thinking about it alot and feel that 2 crates are a bit much. what do u guys think??? I'm stuck! scratch I do want him in the living room during the day, not cooped up in the bedroom.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

puppy questions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: puppy questions.   puppy questions. EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 11:31 am

I live in a 2 story house and have crates upstairs and downstairs. I have so many crates! I have 4 crates for my 2 Chihuahuas, and another 4 crates for my 1 Husky!

Obviously I think the more the better when it comes to crates, although my sibe has outgrown his young, destructive years and no longer needs a crate at all. Besides, won't you need a second crate when you get your second sibe? Wink

In all fairness, I have multiple crates because it IS so much easier than having to move one from room to room, that gets old fast.

Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

puppy questions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: puppy questions.   puppy questions. EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:09 pm

Thanks Valerie. Im just trying to figure out his sleeping regiment. Whenever I am near he sleeps forever. Like last night I was testing it out too see how he did and he literally slept for 4 1/2 hours without a peep. Then the occasional 2 1/2 hour wake up for potty, but then he goes right back to sleep. If were in the other room he would wine for about a half an hour after I put him in the crate. SO wierd, guess he really loves being close to the pack? To make him be more independent during the day should I leave for longer periods of time throughout the day? I just got out of the military and dont have a darn thing to do besides train for my triathlons and stay at home with him till school starts late august. He doesnt like me gone, if i go in the other room for a quick second he will whine till he sees me! Thoughts? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

puppy questions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: puppy questions.   puppy questions. EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 3:03 pm

At this stage I'd vary the length of time that you are gone, start small and work your way up with varying lengths of time. Of course he wants to be with you but eventually he will need to learn to be content on his own. At his current age you won't be able to leave him for long anyway. It's funny this sounds so similar to my 3 month old daughter, she sleeps fine when I am with her but all hell breaks loose if I am not there by her side. It's fine for now but I know eventually she will have to tough it out and sleep by herself.

All my dogs sleep in our room. Even when we were crate training our sibe when we first brought him home (and we only had one crate back then), we crated him in the family room with the TV or radio on during the day while we were gone. Then at night we moved the crate into the bedroom for him to sleep next to the bed. It was a lot of back and forth but it worked out best for us.

Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

puppy questions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: puppy questions.   puppy questions. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 3:15 pm

So.. everything is going well with Shadow. He is doing well with potty training couple accidents here and there. Crate trainging is good he sleeps now for like 5 1/2 hrs in his crate without waking up! Is he too young to use a prong collar? Do you guys use one around the house? I have him tied to the couch with a 15 foot leash so I can keep an eye on him but when he chews and stuff, jumps up etc, is it ok to use a prong, plus outside?? My last question is him being socialized? He is almost 10 weeks and has had one play date and I was nervous about parvo. I dont wanna take him to the pet store cause of that, around parks or grassy areas where dogs have been. I need to find a fully vaccinated dog but that still makes me nervous. I have had him at home and take him on little 5 min walks daily/ Any thoughts, hes had 2 parvo shots so far, 3rd shot is in 2 weeks. Sorry i just worry about my little guy, he has to smell and eat everything outside! I know i have a window till 12 weeks for socialization right?? thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

puppy questions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: puppy questions.   puppy questions. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 3:38 pm

I would not recommend using a prong collar on a puppy. 10 weeks is way too young for that. Have you tried using a method of correction like distraction and redirection when he chews things he's not supposed to?

Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

puppy questions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: puppy questions.   puppy questions. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 3:45 pm

Yes, I give him a firm no and redirect it with a toy. He just has to have his mouth on everything haha.
Back to top Go down
djannitto
Teenager
Teenager
djannitto

Male Join date : 2012-04-18

puppy questions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: puppy questions.   puppy questions. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 5:09 pm

We started our pup in Puppy Kindergarten classes at 10 weeks. We had to show proof of first shots and clean poops. Once we had that he could start right away. If you can find a class that has similar requirements, it would be a more controlled environment to socialize him
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

puppy questions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: puppy questions.   puppy questions. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Way too young for a prong collar.

I too did puppy classes with both my girls. I forget exactly how old Siku was, but Elara started going right when I got her at 8 weeks. I too had to show proof of shots.

I also took mine to a regular park (not dog park) while my bf played flag football and softball. Not too many people bring their dogs to parks like that, so you should be relatively safe there. Just hold him most of the time and let people come pet him. But puppy classes were our main form of socialization. Plus I met other puppy owners there and we set up puppy play dates.

puppy questions. Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

puppy questions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: puppy questions.   puppy questions. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 5:42 pm

There's a great waist leash from Ruff Wear that you could wear to tether him to you, so you can keep an eye on him.
http://www.backcountryk9.com/284/0/Products.aspx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

puppy questions. Empty
PostSubject: Re: puppy questions.   puppy questions. Empty

Back to top Go down

puppy questions.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1