It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

A Good Tick Repellant?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 9:09 pm

simplify wrote:
Stupid question but is there a difference between Rose Geranium and Geranium? Also do you think adding a few drops to some water to turn it into a spray would be effective as well? I know people that do this to create a perfume but wasn't sure if using it on the dog would be a good idea as well.

I haven't run into any ticks yet but we have been walking on a local nature trail and I want to make sure I don't have any problems with them in the near future.

Rose Geranium and Geranium is two different products in term of essential oil. I unsure would that have a same affect on tick repellent.
essential oil is very powerful so always advise use as dilute. However, water and oil don't mix, so I assume need to shake it real hard and try to get emulsion.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 11:29 pm

Per Valerie's advice, I use Rose Geranium oil and had no problems with the dogs last year. I did get a tick for the first time on myself though, so I started putting it on the tongue of my shoes and a drop on a hair tie on my wrist when I go in the woods.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 11:38 pm

I've made a lavender and water spray and have used it as a sort of natural perfume. I just figured it'd be easier to have a little spray bottle sitting around to grab on the go then having to do the drop from the original bottle. And yeah you just shake it up a bit. It's not really something you have to shake for a while to get it to mix. Heh.

The reason I asked about the Rose Geranium vs Geranium is there aren't a lot of options for Rose Geranium on Amazon, so I wasn't sure if it made a difference.

Thanks guys!

ladyserenity18
Puppy
Puppy
ladyserenity18

Female Join date : 2013-09-08

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 12:23 pm

I'm thinking about using rose geranium oil for a tick prevention because mine is on trifexis and that only covers fleas and heartworm. Do I put the oil on the collar of her neck or on her collar? Could I put it in a spray bottle with some water and spray it on her?
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 2:45 pm

We've been using rose geranium oil this year. I've been putting a few drops on Layla's harness and collar in various places. So far, so good, though I did find a flea on her today after her walk in the woods. I found a tick on her last week but that was before I had put on the oil. I've been using it in combination with spreading a coating of DE on her bedding about once a week, especially during this time when fleas and ticks are coming out and are hungry.
Back to top Go down
ladyserenity18
Puppy
Puppy
ladyserenity18

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 2:49 pm

So I should put it on her collar versus spraying it on her?
Back to top Go down
ladyserenity18
Puppy
Puppy
ladyserenity18

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 2:50 pm

And inside or outside of the collar?
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 2:52 pm

I prefer putting it on her collar, on the outside. It should still do the trick and stays in longer. If you put a few drops in various locations along the outside of the collar or harness, it will seep through the fabric, so no need to put it on the inside.

I haven't tried spraying it on Layla but I think if I were to do that it would come out of her fur easily like when she gets dirty and the dirt magically comes out of her fur a few minutes later.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 2:53 pm

Trifexis actually does cover ticks, it's Comfortis that is just fleas and worms. If you are planning on using Rose Geranium Oil (we are, Trifexis sometimes triggers seizures in dogs who are prone so we stopped using it), just put a drop on the outside of the collar every few days and you should be fine.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
ladyserenity18
Puppy
Puppy
ladyserenity18

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 3:00 pm

Oh I thought trifexis just covered fleas and work, had no idea it covered ticks too
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 11:31 pm

Don't know how true it is but I've read a few times that if your going to use oils in a spray to be sure it's a glass spray bottle because the oils will leech chemicals from plastic bottles.
Back to top Go down
ladyserenity18
Puppy
Puppy
ladyserenity18

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 12:35 pm

Oh okay, thank you
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 1:48 am

So I had a quick question. We go hiking a lot.. and I like to use the rose geranium oil.. but my boyfriend apparently CANNOT stand the smell of it -.- is the lavender oil as effective against ticks? I've asked and he says the lavender doesn't bother him, but the rose geranium oil does. I am not going out in those woods unprotected lol.. Yuki came back with 2 ticks on our last hike and I thought it was too early for that, dangit!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 10:50 am

Mobezilla wrote:
So I had a quick question. We go hiking a lot.. and I like to use the rose geranium oil.. but my boyfriend apparently CANNOT stand the smell of it -.- is the lavender oil as effective against ticks? I've asked and he says the lavender doesn't bother him, but the rose geranium oil does. I am not going out in those woods unprotected lol.. Yuki came back with 2 ticks on our last hike and I thought it was too early for that, dangit!

We have the same problem with the essential oils. I just tell Aaron to suck it up and deal with it  Twisted Evil 

Honestly I don't know about lavender for ticks, and we had the same problem with Ghost a couple of weeks ago. We went hiking out in Western MD and didn't find the tick on Ghost for a week.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 11:35 am

Does anyone know of anything that would be ok to put in the yard? We live near a small wooded area and ticks come into our backyard and Kevin got three on him yesterday. The dogs were fine though.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 11:40 am

Food grade diatomaceous earth, although I have it on good authority that it won't do anything about a black widow infestation Wink

It really will help with fleas and ticks though.

Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 11:44 am

I was going to suggest this too, but then I wondered whether sprinkling DE around the exterior of the house would do anything, as it could easily blow away with the wind or wash away with rain?
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 11:48 am

capellalayla wrote:
I was going to suggest this too, but then I wondered whether sprinkling DE around the exterior of the house would do anything, as it could easily blow away with the wind or wash away with rain?

Works well until it gets wet - then not so abrasive. Also, do NOT use pool filter DE - very fine and will irritate dogs lungs - people, too, Do NOT breathe the stuff.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 11:54 am

It's pretty cheap, if it had worked on our widow problem last summer I'd have just sprinkled it periodically to keep up with stuff. We had to go with chemicals for those though, they're resilient little bastards.

Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 12:05 pm

I've been using DE indoors in Layla's fur and on her bedding in her crate. Works great for fleas, ticks and other pests with an exoskeleton. Dogs and humans can also ingest it to get rid of worms in the GI tract. I'll have to try it outside on a dry, less-windy day, since we also have lots of ticks on our property. The only times Layla has picked up ticks have been in our yard!
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 12:07 pm

Thanks all. Amazon order has been put in and will get it Thursday.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 12:37 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
We have the same problem with the essential oils.  I just tell Aaron to suck it up and deal with it  Twisted Evil 

I am trying to do that but dear lord you'd think I'm trying to tell him to amputate his foot! Razz I may just carry the bottle with me and put it on once we actually get to the woods, and get a big baggy for their packs/collars once we're done to wrap them in to minimize the smell in the car.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 1:48 pm

Mobezilla wrote:

blueeyedghost wrote:
We have the same problem with the essential oils.  I just tell Aaron to suck it up and deal with it  Twisted Evil 

I am trying to do that but dear lord you'd think I'm trying to tell him to amputate his foot! :PI may just carry the bottle with me and put it on once we actually get to the woods, and get a big baggy for their packs/collars once we're done to wrap them in to minimize the smell in the car.

Aaron is the same way! God forbid I ask him to help with something in the house too, you'd think I just ordered him to go clean the toilet with his toothbrush. Men...

Back to top Go down
kylah2013
Teenager
Teenager
kylah2013

Female Join date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 5:36 am

We just found our first tick, so I'll be buying some rose geranium oil!!!
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 8:56 am

I pulled a half-engorged tick off Layla yesterday and a somewhat-engorged tick off me the day before that. They're pretty bad around here. Rose geranium oil isn't cutting it for us anymore as we live in such a tick-infested area, where Lyme is endemic. We will have to switch back to K9 Advantix II but I will also use rose geranium oil as a natural backup.

A friend of mine on Facebook just shared this with me, if you're still looking for natural alternatives to tick prevention. This has solutions for both dog and people. Worth a try!

Quote :
It's summer! Time for camping, hiking and getting outside to play. Don't let those pesky annoying ticks stop you. Here's how with a simple homemade solution!

Repellent for your pets:

For pets, add 1 cup of water to a spray bottle, followed by 2 cups of distilled white vinegar. Ticks hate the smell and taste of vinegar, and will be easily be repelled by this ingredient alone. Then, add two spoonfuls of vegetable or almond oil, which both contain sulfur (another natural tick repellent).

To make a repellent that will also deter fleas, mix in a few spoonfuls of lemon juice, citrus oil, or peppermint oil, any of which will repel ticks and fleas while also creating a nicely scented repellent. Spray onto the pet's dry coat, staying away from sensitive areas including eyes, nose, mouth, and genitals. When outdoors for an extended period, spray this solution on two to three times per day.

For you and your family:

In a spray bottle, mix 2 cups of distilled white vinegar and 1 cup of water. To make a scented solution so you do not smell like bitter vinegar all day, add 20 drops of your favorite essential oil.

Eucalyptus oil is a calm, soothing scent that also works as a tick repellent, while peppermint and citrus oils give off a strong crisp scent that also repel ticks.

After mixing the solution, spray onto clothing, skin, and hair before going outdoors. Reapply every four hours to keep ticks at bay, and examine your skin and hair when back inside to make sure no ticks are on the body.

If you have ever shared anything, please click share on this! WE must get the word spread about the dangers of Ticks and how to avoid them!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Good Tick Repellant?!   A Good Tick Repellant?! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

A Good Tick Repellant?!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next