It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Your pet peeves of other dog owners?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 6:17 pm

Word of advice for those of you training puppies or young dogs and you do not have human kids:

Go find some kids and get your dogs used to kids! You are correct that parents are often negligent, kids are often unsupervised and uninformed, PACKS of kids can appear out of nowhere... AND YOU ARE LIABLE! It might be annoying, but it's real life and it's much more serious than a turd on the front lawn!

I know some of you have rescues and this training may be too late, but if you can do it, it just makes sense to me!

....find a kid on a bike (that's scarier than a walking kid)
....find a pack of kids
....find a shy kid
....find a loud kid
Back to top Go down
ThereseZ
Newborn
Newborn
ThereseZ

Female Join date : 2012-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 6:36 pm

I get really annoyed with people assuming my dog is mean, because she is big. She has been called a wolf on more than one occaision. I've even had people act all horrifed and lecture me about the fact that i have a husky around my kids.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 6:37 pm

SabakaMom wrote:
Word of advice for those of you training puppies or young dogs and you do not have human kids:

Go find some kids and get your dogs used to kids! You are correct that parents are often negligent, kids are often unsupervised and uninformed, PACKS of kids can appear out of nowhere... AND YOU ARE LIABLE! It might be annoying, but it's real life and it's much more serious than a turd on the front lawn!

I know some of you have rescues and this training may be too late, but if you can do it, it just makes sense to me!

....find a pack of kids
....find a shy kid
....find a loud kid

Thank god we have a lot of kids on our street who think huskies are gods gift to the world. Not a moment goes by that I don't have one of the neighbor kids coming up to pet Delilah and Cato. In fact, they know the dogs names, but I don't think they even know mine!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 6:37 pm

ThereseZ wrote:
I get really annoyed with people assuming my dog is mean, because she is big. She has been called a wolf on more than one occaision. I've even had people act all horrifed and lecture me about the fact that i have a husky around my kids.

Ignorance at its finest!
Back to top Go down
ThereseZ
Newborn
Newborn
ThereseZ

Female Join date : 2012-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 6:43 pm

Its so funny. there are tons of kids in my neighborhood, my kids are always out playing with them, and of course, im out there with the kids, and the dog is with me (LOL she would just cry and howl at the window if i dare left her!) and all the kids run up to pet her, she loves the attention. Then you get a parent or two coming out screaming at their kid to get awy from the dog, giving me dirty looks and lectures! LOL All well Shadow is sitting nicely and happy!

HATE the dog poo issue.
Also, I get that huskies shed...ALOT. But for goodness sakes, VACCUUMM! Nothing is worse than being at someones house for dinner and picking dog hair out of your food.

Oh! ONE MORE! People who buy dogs because they are "cute" and dont educate themselves about the breed...then realize 6 months in they have an uncontrollable puppy, and get rid of it...

Last edited by ThereseZ on Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 6:44 pm

SabakaMom wrote:
Word of advice for those of you training puppies or young dogs and you do not have human kids:I know some of you have rescues and this training may be too late, but if you can do it, it just makes sense to me!
....find a pack of kids
....find a shy kid
....find a loud kid

Not to late for rescues, we taught this by stopping a head of the kids and letting the kids walk to us while telling S&J to "say Hi" to the kids, i then start rubbing the dogs back and the kids seem to follow where ever im petting. has worked so far. we have kids on bikes, scooters, skate boards, so far we have been good. if im walking with the packs on i just tell the kids we can't stop as were in "training" Smile that works to.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 6:46 pm

ThereseZ wrote:
Also, I get that huskies shed...ALOT. But for goodness sakes, VACCUUMM! Nothis is worse than being at someones house for dinner and picking dog hair out of your food
Guilty Embarassed but i swear i do vacuum and put on clean clothes!!!! add a whole pack to the party/dinner and all hope is lost, most of us just consider it a seasoning Razz

Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 6:49 pm

SabakaMom wrote:

....find a pack of kids
....find a shy kid
....find a loud kid

Fortunately my mom runs a daycare, so mine have been exposed to a bunch of kids of all different ages, but for some reason or another Hayden just does not like them. I'm not sure why since he hasn't had a bad experience with them. Nicky on the other hand loves kid's, so when kid's do approach us I try to steer them to her, but Hayden is always the more popular one for some reason. I just try and avoid kid's in public, but some parents will follow us some times, which gets annoying. Oh well, guess that's just the breaks for owning cute dog's like Huskies Smile

I do agree with you by the way! Those who haven't socialized their dog/puppy with children should do so! Great tip Smile
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 7:22 pm

mheath0429 wrote:

Thank god we have a lot of kids on our street who think huskies are gods gift to the world. Not a moment goes by that I don't have one of the neighbor kids coming up to pet Delilah and Cato. In fact, they know the dogs names, but I don't think they even know mine!

I'm guilty of this as well! Bob will say something like, "Who was that in the green car?" and I can only answer, "Angel's mom." Embarassed

"Sabaka" is a strange name, but you are correct, even the tiny pre-schoolers yell, "Hi Sabaka" when we walk past. No one knows me... or cares who I am... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 7:38 pm

Just yesterday a couple walking their dog came up to my fence to pet my dogs (without asking) while I was watching them from my kitchen sink.
Back to top Go down
Gilly
Puppy
Puppy
Gilly

Male Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 8:01 pm

SabakaMom wrote:

....find a pack of kids
....find a shy kid
....find a loud kid

sorry let me clarify... khuno is GREAT with kids... it just annoys me that parents let their kids go up to ANY dog without teaching them how to. When i was in chicago it was completely opposite than baltimore. every mother made sure the child asked if they could pet my dog and they made sure they went slowly and had their hand in a loose fist to let the dog smell them first.

people in baltimore... from my experience... let their kids run up to any dog on busy streets where any number of things can go wrong.

That is what bothers me.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 8:04 pm

Gunnersmatejmac wrote:
Just yesterday a couple walking their dog came up to my fence to pet my dogs (without asking) while I was watching them from my kitchen sink.

I would suggest you stay out with the dogs, even if you are watching from the kitchen. Livonia is a very family driven area and kids, for whatever reason, do not seem to know boundaries.

( I live in livonia too)
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 8:16 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Gunnersmatejmac wrote:

I would suggest you stay out with the dogs, even if you are watching from the kitchen. Livonia is a very family driven area and kids, for whatever reason, do not seem to know boundaries.

( I live in livonia too)

Thank you I'll keep that in mind. These weren't kids though they were adults.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 8:17 pm

jbealer wrote:
ThereseZ wrote:
Also, I get that huskies shed...ALOT. But for goodness sakes, VACCUUMM! Nothis is worse than being at someones house for dinner and picking dog hair out of your food
Guilty Embarassed but i swear i do vacuum and put on clean clothes!!!! add a whole pack to the party/dinner and all hope is lost, most of us just consider it a seasoning Razz

Same here. I feel like I constantly vacuuming yet I almost always have the added protein of husky hair in a meal. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 8:18 pm

Gunnersmatejmac wrote:
mheath0429 wrote:
Gunnersmatejmac wrote:

( I live in livonia too)

What part of livonia are you from? There have been some husky nappings, you are more than welcome to message me if you like and we can talk about it.
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 8:36 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Gunnersmatejmac wrote:
mheath0429 wrote:
Gunnersmatejmac wrote:

( I live in livonia too)

What part of livonia are you from? There have been some husky nappings, you are more than welcome to message me if you like and we can talk about it.
Thank you for the heads up. My fiancée are at Inkster & 5 mile.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 8:58 pm

Demon&Dakota wrote:
jbealer wrote:
ThereseZ wrote:

Same here. I feel like I constantly vacuuming yet I almost always have the added protein of husky hair in a meal. Embarassed

Same here. It's like I vacuum everyday for no reason. The next morning it's back to the same amount of hair and dirt from the yard. It's come to the point that if people are coming to my house they know to expect it and if they don't like it then don't come over. Sucks, but hey that's that way it is. Husky hair with your drink anyone? Razz
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 9:12 pm

Heard that people would have their dog's voice box removed for they can't bark.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 9:16 pm

Gunnersmatejmac wrote:

Yep, and it's a horrible, horrible practice. I'm pretty sure Bodhi on here had that done by a previous owner, and we had next door neighbors when I was a kid who had done it to their collie. They didn't address the root problem, they just cut his vocal chords and he stood out in the yard all day long trying to bark in a really raspy voice.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 9:30 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
Gunnersmatejmac wrote:

Yep, and it's a horrible, horrible practice. I'm pretty sure Bodhi on here had that done by a previous owner, and we had next door neighbors when I was a kid who had done it to their collie. They didn't address the root problem, they just cut his vocal chords and he stood out in the yard all day long trying to bark in a really raspy voice.

What I wouldn't give to do that to the owners and doctors who do that.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 9:45 pm

Gunnersmatejmac wrote:

I have relatives that have done that to their sheities.
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 9:51 pm

ljelgin wrote:
Gunnersmatejmac wrote:

I have relatives that have done that to their sheities.

Do you know why they did that?
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 9:53 pm

Did like them barking.. Is all I know..
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 10:40 pm

Gotcha but it comes with the territory of owning a dog.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 10:55 pm

I know I get very upset with them.. to be honest they try to BYB I just do not feel like I can say anything to them. I know better but they have been doing the BYB thing for years..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Your pet peeves of other dog owners?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next