It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How to get my husky not to STEAL food!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
niccilynn33
Newborn
Newborn
niccilynn33

Female Join date : 2012-07-15

How to get my husky not to STEAL food! Empty
PostSubject: How to get my husky not to STEAL food!   How to get my husky not to STEAL food! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 2:42 pm

We Recently adopted a Husky from the shelter! Shes beautiful and so much fun! her WORST trait is that she is like a SCAVENGER. Shes around a year old, and she can not be trusted around food. We mistakenly left food on the table while we finished cooking other things and half of it was gone before we could blink our eyes. How can this be broken and for her to understand not to get on the table or steal food from the kids while they are eating??
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: How to get my husky not to STEAL food!   How to get my husky not to STEAL food! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 7:58 pm

I can't even list all the things snow has stolen off counters lol. Unfortunately that comes with the breed, but can be managed with training. We have just learned to husky proof the house and keep all food up, and crate her when we eat. Finnick, our boy, is great when it's dinner time though and will lay on his bed while we eat...so it is possible, it just takes a lot of patience and catching her in the act with a firm NO!
Good luck!! Smile
Back to top Go down
KitR
Puppy
Puppy
KitR

Female Join date : 2012-03-08

PostSubject: Re: How to get my husky not to STEAL food!   How to get my husky not to STEAL food! EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 11:59 pm

Keeping all food and other fun things put up and away when you aren't using them or home will help with the counter surfing. Also, when you're eating at the table, teaching her a place to sit, whether by your side or away from the table or on a bed, will help with the food stealing. Having a spot where she's supposed to be means she won't be trying to get extra snacks Very Happy

Our coonhound is much more of a food thief than our husky, but we keep food and our trashcan put away and have them sit on opposite sides of the table during mealtime. It has helped out a lot.
Back to top Go down
Montana14
Puppy
Puppy
Montana14

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: How to get my husky not to STEAL food!   How to get my husky not to STEAL food! EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 12:10 am

A friend of mine had a bad time trying to break her husky of counter surfing, she tried everything to break him of it. A friend suggested putting out a few empty mouse snap traps on the counter every foot or so. She gave it a shot and it worked. Anytime the dog bumped the counter one of the traps snapped, thus scaring the dog. She now doesn't have to worry if he wanders into the kitchen when her back is turned.
Back to top Go down
tcarp916
Puppy
Puppy
tcarp916

Female Join date : 2012-07-16

PostSubject: Re: How to get my husky not to STEAL food!   How to get my husky not to STEAL food! EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 3:59 pm

So excited i found this post!

We're bring home our adopted husky today and counter surfing plus getting into the garbage are some of the bad habits we've been told she has. The mouse traps sounds like a good idea, but i was wondering if anyone has ever used a spray bottle to deter counter surfers.
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: How to get my husky not to STEAL food!   How to get my husky not to STEAL food! EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 6:33 pm

I've used a spray bottle and although for some dogs it works great, it didn't do much for us. After her first counter surfing episode, where she ate a full chicken and all the sides, I filled a spray bottle full of just water and it just gave me a wet dog and slippery floors lol
Redirecting her to something else worked better for Snow. During meal times or times when we are preparing food a stuffed Kong really helped. She hasn't had a counter surfing incident in awhile, thanks to us being diligent in keeping food away and her knowing she has a kong coming if she waits on her bed like a good girl.
Good luck!! I know you will find something that works for you.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: How to get my husky not to STEAL food!   How to get my husky not to STEAL food! EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 6:41 pm

Kale isn't allowed in the kitchen when there's food around, we block it off with baby gates. The mouse traps sound good in theory, but knowing Kale, he'd snap his tongue and I'd have to rush him to the ER. That would be quite a story for the vet LOL Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
pandactivity
Teenager
Teenager
pandactivity

Female Join date : 2012-06-14

PostSubject: Re: How to get my husky not to STEAL food!   How to get my husky not to STEAL food! EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 8:20 pm

Trillion dosnt steal food from anybody she kinda gets in your face at first but if you ignore her she just leaves you alone, and not in your face like to get your food but to lick your face lol. I can leave food on the floor and tell her to "leave it" and she will lay down and not inch for it, even if I leave the room.

However if something is on the counter and nobody is in sight she goes for it... Neutral
My brother and his girlfriend taught their dogs "not yours" which. Actualy works REALLY well for them, then again they don't have huskys. They have a gsdxpoodle catahoula and a burnise mountain dog
Back to top Go down
LRomero
Newborn
Newborn
LRomero

Male Join date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: How to get my husky not to STEAL food!   How to get my husky not to STEAL food! EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 7:55 pm

A friend of mine suggested either tin foil or bubble wrap has worked for his dogs. He that most dogs don't like the crackling sound of the bubbles or the texture of tin foil. I'm sure huskies would just tear it up, but it's worth a shot! lol. He said it also works on furniture training if you don't want them on certain furniture.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: How to get my husky not to STEAL food!   How to get my husky not to STEAL food! EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 8:24 pm

Luckily, I've never had a problem with Lycus table surfing lol. I taught him to stay out of the kitchen completely because I'd like the least amount of fur around there as possible. He's really good but I've caught him scavenging the floors a couple of times when I left for a moment but never table surfing!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to get my husky not to STEAL food!   How to get my husky not to STEAL food! Empty

Back to top Go down

How to get my husky not to STEAL food!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1