It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE Empty
PostSubject: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Here he is, Dakota.
My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE Photobucket-9872-1343350963219

My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE Photobucket-5003-1343350931340

My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE Photobucket-10199-1343350878292

My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE Photobucket-9932-1343350856898

My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE Photobucket-9420-1343350712610

My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE Photobucket-5719-1343350669890

Alright, he is very sweet. We posted him a few days ago - and I didn't find anyone to take him. Oddly enough, my brother decide he would. They may actual;y keep him permanently.

He is in REALLY bad shape. He is incredibly matted. We had to cut out a lot of his fur - in huge chunks on his butt and stomach. He even had poop very deeply matted. On top of that, his teeth are HORRIBLE. Any tricks? We may just get his done at the vet at this point.

We are starting him on Blue Wilderness Salmon tonight. Right now Cato is just trying to play with him.

Anyone have tips on grooming woolies? Otherwise, I'm going to stick with what I know.

Val - I want to get his coat, teeth, eyes and virtually whole system in good condition - what can I supplement with to help with this?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:19 pm

I was wondering about this guy, hoped someone wanted him. Kudos to your brother for opening up his home for him, this one needed it pretty bad it sounds. I hope it works out for him no matter where he ends up.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:22 pm

He's like a really fluffy Mika! He is probably the most well behaved husky I have ever met. He's good with the other dogs too and keeps following claire, my pretty much sister in law, around - I think he may stay permanently.

We are going to have to buzz his behind area - which isn't going to be eay, but is super necessary.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:26 pm

You need to do what is best for dakota, it will grow back for sure. I love his white sploches above his eyes, when i see them i think he is either shocked or going very very fast. With quality food, life, and humans, he will turn out well.

Good luck with and for him.
Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

Female Join date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:28 pm

He looks just like my Zoe as far as coat length goes. It is much harder to groom her than Tasha, who has normal length of hair. Zoe hates being groomed, is terrified of anyone getting near her back legs, and won't let anyone get near them with a brush, so she often has tangles back there. I know you aren't supposed to cut Husky hair, but I usually do trim around her back end and the longer hair on her legs and feet. She's outside so much that if I didn't, it would stay matted all the time. I wish I had some more tips/tricks to offer you. He's a pretty boy!
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:44 pm

He's so fluffy! Our aussie has long hair and we keep it trimmed around his butt because otherwise it gets matted and messy so easily.

It's great that your brother took him in!
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 11:04 pm

Aw congrats to your brother! He's absolutely gorgeous! I love you

Yea his teeth are the first thing I noticed, he is in dire need or a prophy. All the bacteria from his gums is going into his bloodstream and can lead to organ problems, so the sooner the better. After that, with brushing, he will most likely never need another one.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 12:29 am

OMG SO FLUFFY! He is so gorgeous and fluffy, I have never seen a wooly in real life but I just want to cuddle with him <3
Back to top Go down
claire-bear
Newborn
Newborn
claire-bear

Female Join date : 2012-07-27

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 12:33 am

I'm so glad we took him in! I'm his new mommy, and I immediately fell in love. He's soo cuddly and loves to give kisses. I can't believe no one wanted him - or worse - wanted to put him down! Dakota will be getting a nice de-shedding and bath on Sunday from a groomer. I can't wait to see how beautiful his coat can be.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 1:15 am

claire-bear wrote:
I'm so glad we took him in! I'm his new mommy, and I immediately fell in love. He's soo cuddly and loves to give kisses. I can't believe no one wanted him - or worse - wanted to put him down! Dakota will be getting a nice de-shedding and bath on Sunday from a groomer. I can't wait to see how beautiful his coat can be.

I'm so glad you decided to join Claire! Smile Cato is exhausted now. I love that pup - he will look gorgeous once we get him in shape.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 9:33 am

Congrats and thanks for rescuing!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 9:42 am

mheath0429 wrote:
Val - I want to get his coat, teeth, eyes and virtually whole system in good condition - what can I supplement with to help with this?

In addition to his new diet I would put him on either Nupro or Wholistic Canine Complete as a general supplement. For his coat I'd add either coconut oil or fish oil depending on preferences, I prefer coconut oil but both are good.

For a quick coat improvement I would recommend doing a coconut oil wrap. Basically, cover the coat in coconut oil then wrap it with a towel or saran wrap and leave it on for 20-30 minutes if you can. Then rinse it out and bathe with a good moisturizing shampoo. That should do wonders for his coat.

For the teeth, I highly recommend Petz Life Oral Care spray along with at least daily brushing with an enzymatic toothpaste until there is noticeable improvement. You can slack off a bit when his teeth are better. My sibe needed a dental when I adopted him at 2 yrs of age. Two weeks after the above regimen, the majority of the plaque was gone and the vet was impressed that he no longer needed a dental AND he will be 7 yrs old in September and his teeth are still in good condition. If raw meaty bones are an option, those would help also. Likewise other chews like deer antlers are good for helping scrape the teeth while he chews.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 10:42 am

Welcome claire and dakota, have u for sure decided to keep him? He looks like a total love and with some good care sounds like a great addition to your family.. keep us posted

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Glad he found a home!

Are you going the shaving yourself? Be careful when shaving matted fur. It is very easy to accidently cut a dog's skin if the mats are bad enough. I've helped hold dogs while my mom shaved off mats from some rescues and some of those mats are soooo close to the skin.

You may find this tool handy, a dematting rake. We use it on our llamas and the dogs sometimes. http://www.petedge.com/product/Master-Grooming-Tools-Ergonomic-Dematting-Rake/45425.uts

My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 1:44 pm

I do a sanitary shave on my long coat Chihuahua every few months. I use an old pair of human hair clippers to shave off the pants, same thing pretty much just on a smaller dog. Takes a little practice but use a groomer if you are not confident doing it on your own.

Newborn
Newborn
claire-bear

Female Join date : 2012-07-27

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 3:04 pm

Thanks everyone! We haven't decided if this is permanent yet or not. We really just want to get him comfortable and completely stress-free before we move him again. As for the shaving question, yes, we are shaving him ourselves. We were EXTREMELY careful when we shaved him. His fur was so matted that we never even got to skin. I'm not even sure if he has skin haha. It all just seems to be fur.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 4:27 pm

claire-bear wrote:
Thanks everyone! We haven't decided if this is permanent yet or not. We really just want to get him comfortable and completely stress-free before we move him again. As for the shaving question, yes, we are shaving him ourselves. We were EXTREMELY careful when we shaved him. His fur was so matted that we never even got to skin. I'm not even sure if he has skin haha. It all just seems to be fur.

Thankfully the only shaving we had to do was on the tail and furry butt chaps. The rest of him just needed some serious brushing. We were using two undercoat rakes at the same time. he was a champ.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 5:35 pm

I second the dematting rake. Had to use that on Ewe and I'm glad we did instead of clipping. His mats were so close to his skin.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 5:37 pm

It looked like he had Dreads on his butt and Tail. It was so bad. Honestly, I really think it was beyond repair. I did not want to buzz him, but there was so much poop caked into the matts that it wasn't salvageable.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 5:42 pm

The dematting rake removes the mats, it doesn't comb through them lol it just makes it so you only have to cut off what needs to be cut off.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 5:44 pm

Hmm thank you dear, we will need that for around his ears. I felt so bad for him, but he is a real love bug and has been giving kisses since he came to them.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 10:33 pm

I hope you guys keep him, betcha will Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE   My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE Empty

Back to top Go down

My Brother Took In The Foster - REALLY BAD SHAPE

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1