It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Boarding Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
djannitto
Teenager
Teenager
djannitto

Male Join date : 2012-04-18

Boarding Question Empty
PostSubject: Boarding Question   Boarding Question EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 1:45 pm

My husband and I are heading on vacation next week and the Kennel which we have looked at, approved, and had our puppy do a test visit with is full and can't accomodate us. What we love about this particular kennel is that there is lots of group doggy play time. Our puppy just loves to socialize with other dogs so we encourage it whenever we can. I made an appointment to look at a different kennel over the weekend which looks great. From what I can see online, it is extremely clean, tidy and very well kept, however after speaking to the owner, I found out that the pups are kept in individual runs all day with no group play. Their individual areas are all chain link with attached 12' outdoor runs. So they can all see each other and talk to each other, but can't actually play together. She said it is a very social atmosphere. He will definitely be exercised and played with multiple times per day, but on an individual basis. Does anyone see any downside to this type of set-up?

And BTW, regarding the first kennel we were told after his overnight test visit that he did great. He ate all his food, slept overnight and played very well with all the others.

We love our little guy to death and we just want to make sure we do what's best for him.

Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Boarding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boarding Question   Boarding Question EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 1:51 pm

I always board Kale individually. I prefer the kennels that don't have Chain link, Kale massacred the backs of his canines on chain link while boarding. Biting and twisting the fence can break them. I prefer the ones that have polyurethane see-through doors that he can't bite. The reason I don't board at a place where he can play is just a precaution. Dog fights happen, and I would rather me not be hours away, getting a phone call saying that Kale was injured, and them asking about stitches and all. But that's just a personally preference.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
djannitto
Teenager
Teenager
djannitto

Boarding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boarding Question   Boarding Question EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 2:06 pm

Thanks. I appreciate your input. My only concern with him staying in the kennel without group play is that I'm worried that he'll be really lonely. Breaks my heart to think of him being sad.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Boarding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boarding Question   Boarding Question EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 2:15 pm

I work at a kennel and personally I think daycare all day is too much overstimulation. For that reason my dogs don't come to work with me more than once or twice a week.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

Boarding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boarding Question   Boarding Question EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 2:21 pm

We left Sabaka for his first overnight stay at a kennel very similar to the chain-link enclosed one that you have described. It came highly recommended and we were excited to think that even though the dogs had no group play time they could see each other and run along the fences together. Another positive for us was that the kennel would bathe them before you picked them up. We were asked to call them about an hour or two before we arrived and they would return to us a fluffy, good-smelling dog. We thought that was a great perk, but after picking up a nicely bathed pup...with urine from another dog all down his back leg, we began to wonder if the bathing was just what they had to do in order to hide the fact that the dogs were peeing on each other through the chain-link fence. I can't know if that is really what happens, but we decided not to chance leaving the poor guy there to be peed on for days while we are away. We used another kennel that has very private cement block walls. I wish there was something in between these two scenarios for us, but our options are limited. Sad
Back to top Go down
djannitto
Teenager
Teenager
djannitto

Boarding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boarding Question   Boarding Question EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 3:41 pm

It so hard to leave your beloved pet in someone else's hands. Since our trip is so closely upon us, and we have the opportunity to bring him with us, we are leaning towards that. The two main reasons we had decided not to take him with us from the get go are (1) that we are driving from New England to North Carolina and we just aren't sure how well he'd do on a long drive like that; and (2) we are bringing another couple (friends of ours) so we didn't want our dog to become a burden for them on what is their vacation too.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

Boarding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boarding Question   Boarding Question EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 4:41 pm

I was also in this dilemma, but I made up my mind a few weeks ago. I'm taking Juneau on an 18 hr car ride next week lol.

I find it very hard to bear the thought of receiving a phone call saying my pup has been hurt or injured while at a boarding facility (with a kennel that has individual pens, I think it would be fine). Your pup is by himself at home, right? It would be no different imo. They still interact with humans with the plus of seeing other dogs.

If given the choice, I would take him with you. There are harnesses that have a seatbelt restraint on them to hold your pup in place while driving. I put Juneau in my backseat with the harness and she just falls asleep (in the path of an AC vent, of course). Bring a few different variety of chews/bones/etc to chew on, and a water bowl. You would probably have to stop every 2-3 hrs to let him pee, depending how old he is. I'd give little food. A friend of mine's dog got car sick, so be careful that he doesn't have a good view of the window all the time. He may get dizzy.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

Boarding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boarding Question   Boarding Question EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 4:42 pm

Also - ask the couple going with you if it's okay with them.
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

Boarding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boarding Question   Boarding Question EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 4:57 pm

If your concerned about the length of the drive and him getting car sick ask your vet about dramamine
Back to top Go down
djannitto
Teenager
Teenager
djannitto

Boarding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boarding Question   Boarding Question EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 5:24 pm

Luckily our friends are great and don't mind having him travel with us. We are definitely leaning in this direction. And if we do, he'll have plenty of his favorite treats to last him the whole week!

Thanks for everyone's input. It always helps to get the perspective of others!
Back to top Go down
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

Boarding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boarding Question   Boarding Question EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 7:31 pm

I take mine to a kennel that has large enclosures that they can keep all of my dogs together. Therefore they have each other to play with and I don't have to worry about any other dog hurting them. Each enclosure has its own run area. I love the place, they offer free play time with one of their handlers. It is one of the locally owned kennels here and they are very behind the times technology wise. They don't accept credit cards or have a website. For the way they treat my dog.... I'll forgo that stuff Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Boarding Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boarding Question   Boarding Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Boarding Question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1