It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help With Potty Training.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

Help With Potty Training. Empty
PostSubject: Help With Potty Training.   Help With Potty Training. EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 2:16 pm

I have owned dogs for the past 15 years, This is my first husky, he is four months old and a very well behaved boy(with the occasional puppy out burst). I am having a very hard time getting him to urinate outside, he knows to go sit by the front door when he needs to defecate to be let outside(he has not pooped in the house in almost a week) but for some reason, I can walk him for 45 min he still comes in and urinates, I have tried positive reinforcement, i have tried firmly saying no while he is in the act, and I have tried taking him outside before he finishes urinating...Any advice??? He is due to be neutered next month and its not "Territorial" (No leg lifting).
Back to top Go down
tfaigle
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2012-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Help With Potty Training.   Help With Potty Training. EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 8:31 am

We're getting similar behavior (long walks then comes back and pees or poops) it does seem though Jeter is starting to get it. So based on what I've read and what we see it's just a matter of work, consistency and time. Now hopefully more experienced folks will offer more insight but I wanted to let you know you're not alone.
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

PostSubject: Re: Help With Potty Training.   Help With Potty Training. EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 9:17 am

See my boy Knows to poop outside, just the urinating is taking him awhile to get, a trainer friend told me to let him pee on the wee wee pads and then put them outside, this will hold his scent and therefor he will have a new place to pee all the time. Well see how it works.
Back to top Go down
tfaigle
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2012-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Help With Potty Training.   Help With Potty Training. EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 11:20 am

I'm not sure about the pads. It seems the general consensus here is not to use them. We may try that if we have to but since Jeter has only been here 2 weeks we'll give him some time to learn. So far the first walk of the day goes well. It's later in the day where the other half is taking care of him and I"m not around that we have issues.
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Help With Potty Training.   Help With Potty Training. EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 11:47 am

I would highly suggest not using pee pads, they teach your dog that it is in fact okay to pee in the house. What I would suggest doing is everytime you are done your walk, go his outside pee area and wait until he pees... it may take a while but don`t let him go back inside until he pees. Even if it is just a small dribble praise him hugely, make a big deal out of it! Tell him what a good boy he is for going potty. Also, I`m not sure how many times you are taking him out but try to make it more frequent if you are having these problems... instead of every 1-2 hours make it every half hour-45 minutes until he starts to get the idea and do the same thing every time he does his business outside! It will take time but he will get it! Also remember, your puppy will need to go out after eating, after running around, after playing, after drinking, after waking up.... remember to be consistent!
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Help With Potty Training.   Help With Potty Training. EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 1:22 pm

I agree with the potty pads…when I first got Nikko I went out and got them, and all he did was want to eat them, plus I realized it is just encouraging him to potty inside. I had to literally follow him around all the time waiting for him to start sniffing and take him outside when I thought he was going to pee. It’s very frustrating, and here I am doing it again with another pup lol. But at least this time I know the signs better and I know to let him out after eating, sleeping, playing, or every 30-45 minutes.

What I don’t understand is my pup will be in a crate for 5 hours without an accident, but he can’t last an hour inside without peeing!
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

PostSubject: Re: Help With Potty Training.   Help With Potty Training. EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 2:10 pm

Trying to stay away from the pads, I never used them before...Also never had this problem though.
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Help With Potty Training.   Help With Potty Training. EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 2:23 pm

Jason, that means your doing something right Smile Puppies typically will not do their business in the place where they sleep!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Help With Potty Training.   Help With Potty Training. EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 4:14 pm

What are you using to clean up his urine when he goes?

Help With Potty Training. Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help With Potty Training.   Help With Potty Training. Empty

Back to top Go down

Help With Potty Training.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1