It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Selling points of huskies?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Docks
Newborn
Newborn

Selling points of huskies? Empty
PostSubject: Selling points of huskies?   Selling points of huskies? EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 11:43 pm

Hi everyone! Well I went to my local humane society and fell in love with an adorable husky. They are so easy to love!
Well, I am very ready to take on all the responsibilities of owning a husky, however, the parents aren't so psyched.
So I thought I would ask husky owners themselves!

Here it goes: What puts these dogs apart from others?

Thanks for all of the replies in advance. Smile
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Selling points of huskies?   Selling points of huskies? EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 12:14 am

Welcome! wave Research is so important before getting a husky and you've taken the right step!

How old is the husky?

Huskies are awesome but I really spend most of my time talking about people out of them because they're not for everyone.

These are some of the questions I would ask potential adopters :
Are you ready to exercise your husky at least 1 -2 hours a day? They need a good brisk walk in the morning and evening to keep them from getting naughty.
Are you ready to clean the masses of hair they shed? Most people aren't prepared and we've seen dogs rehomed due to this.
Are you ready to keep your dog on leash at all times and contained in a secure fence? Do you have the tenacity and extra funds to keep them safe while you're at work or out? They love to dig and jump - and many of them would love to follow you to work! You need to work at keeping them safe. Are you ready to crate train your dog to keep them safe and away from electrical cords and other hazards while you're gone.
Are you ready to be a benevolent leader and be firm yet loving with your husky? Huskies need a strong leader to teach them right and wrong. Huskies looove to try to take over leadership and do what THEY want to do! Smile Even if it's not safe.

If you're ready for husky ownership, they are extremely loving, wonderful family dogs. Smile
Back to top Go down
Docks
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Selling points of huskies?   Selling points of huskies? EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 12:43 am

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Welcome! wave Research is so important before getting a husky and you've taken the right step!

How old is the husky?

Huskies are awesome but I really spend most of my time talking about people out of them because they're not for everyone.

These are some of the questions I would ask potential adopters :
1, Are you ready to exercise your husky at least 1 -2 hours a day? They need a good brisk walk in the morning and evening to keep them from getting naughty.
2. Are you ready to clean the masses of hair they shed? Most people aren't prepared and we've seen dogs rehomed due to this.
3. Are you ready to keep your dog on leash at all times and contained in a secure fence? Do you have the tenacity and extra funds to keep them safe while you're at work or out? They love to dig and jump - and many of them would love to follow you to work! You need to work at keeping them safe.
4. Are you ready to crate train your dog to keep them safe and away from electrical cords and other hazards while you're gone.
5. Are you ready to be a benevolent leader and be firm yet loving with your husky? Huskies need a strong leader to teach them right and wrong. Huskies looove to try to take over leadership and do what THEY want to do! Smile Even if it's not safe.

If you're ready for husky ownership, they are extremely loving, wonderful family dogs. Smile

Thanks! And I guess I'll go down the list!
6 months old. Just got spayed recently.

1. Definitely actually, a big thing for me is a walking partner. Plus I assume that she will have a friend (I have a dog currently) to play with all day.
2. Yup. I have more than enough time to groom them daily and clean house.
3. I am!
4. Of course, if I do get her, I plan on taking her to multiple obedience classes. (This goes for this question and the one below it)

I just answered all those and typed them for anyone else to use as a reference. Thanks for the post!
Back to top Go down
tsalaginala
Newborn
Newborn
tsalaginala

Female Join date : 2012-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Selling points of huskies?   Selling points of huskies? EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 12:54 am

While huskies are obviously quite the handful, Nala is the most beautiful, friendliest, best behaved dog we've ever had. Though she's a bit rambunctious, there's nothing like the love of a husky.

Also, they're just so funny. When she doesn't want to do a command, she talks to me. Of course I always tell her, if she wants her breakfast she must mind her manners and sit first, but it's still cute. And if you're not paying attention to her, she'll come up to you and tap you with her paw like a person would trying to get your attention.

And I'll also say, my father isn't much of an animal person, but he adores my husky. They just have a certain charm and charisma about them that just draws people in and makes them fall in love.

I pretty much babbled, but you get the point. Huskies are super adorable and loving.
As long as you're prepared for the work, the cuteness should keep the parents on board (:
Back to top Go down
Docks
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Selling points of huskies?   Selling points of huskies? EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 1:22 am

Aww Smile Seems like a wonderful little girl! Smile
Thanks for the post, it helps!
Back to top Go down
tsalaginala
Newborn
Newborn
tsalaginala

Female Join date : 2012-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Selling points of huskies?   Selling points of huskies? EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 1:35 am

Glad to be of service (:
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Selling points of huskies?   Selling points of huskies? EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 8:20 am

My biggest selling point is that the insanity never ends and I wouldn't have it any other way. (Since 1985)

But yes they are very high maintenance. Great idea to attend obedience classes, if a trainer says Huskies are not trainable feel free to let the trainer know she/he is incompetent. Its lots of work training with life long reminders but both of mine have passed thru beginners and mid level classes w/o problems. Biko, also is a Good Canine Citizen grad one of only 4 in the class that passed. (10 dogs were enrolled).

Get a prong collar for walking so the pup doesn't choke during walks, and use it properly.
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Selling points of huskies?   Selling points of huskies? EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 9:05 am

If you have a yard, the time to play/exercise them for at least 45 min twice a day(this works out well when you have two young children who love playing with the dog lol they wear mine out), and don't mind getting hairy/paying to have them groomed during blowout season then they are one of the most loving, Goof-bally dog breeds I have ever owned. They are known for being hard to housebreak and can be quit stubborn, but they are highly intelligent.

Break down

1.They shed ALOT during blow out season be prepared for your house to look like the old west with Husky tumbleweeds.

2.Introduce to smaller animals at a young age, they have a strong prey drive.

3.They can be food aggressive(Just like any other breed) get them use to you taking/Giving them there food from the begging.

4.They can be difficult to potty train, DO NOT GIVE UP, Consistency and high reward and praise is the key here.

5.If there is a behavior you do not want them to do (go onto the bed,sofa ext) NEVER allow them to do it, it is a lot easier then trying to stop something they where once allowed to do.

***NEVER LEAVE A HUSKY ALONE,NOT EVEN FOR 10 MIN, UNLESS THEY HAVE HAD A LOT OF TRAINING, the breed is known to have bad separation anxiety and will destroy your house(Not on purpose), invest in a crate if you do not have someone always home with them.***

My father is retired, that is the only reason I got him a husky(My father does not believe in crating and if he needs to leave him home alone, him and Elvis(His poodle brother go into the yard with the fan on lol.) So either him or myself are always there with Thunder.

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Selling points of huskies?   Selling points of huskies? EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 10:00 am

They shed.. Seriously I cannot stress this enough. Regardless of how much you brush and vacuum there is ALWAYS going to be hair coming off of them and hiding, everywhere.
Understand if your parents aren't sold on the idea it does make things harder.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Selling points of huskies?   Selling points of huskies? EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 10:10 am

Haha, The shedding was never a problem with me, I have always been use to eating dog hair(certified Dog groomer by trade). It was the hardness of potty training that is driving me bonkers
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Selling points of huskies?   Selling points of huskies? EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 10:37 am

I'm assuming you live with your parents? This could be a difficult decision then but all the best to you!

Huskies are: stubborn, independent, strong willed, loving, friendly, energetic.... the list goes on and on. The most important things to remember are:
-You must have plenty of time to spend exercising, training and loving this dog. Huskies are pack animals and they excel which much love and attention from their human.
-Huskies can either be the hardest animal to train, or the easiest. Get started right away
-They have their own personalities. It's a lot more like having a child in the house then having a dog. They will whine, they will scream and they WILL talk back.
-Huskies are known for escaping and running. It's not that they don't love you, it's just instinct for them
-Huskies have a high prey drive so prepare for them to chase small animals especially rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks etc. May also have to prepare for the occasional dead animal...
-Huskies are typically not off leash dogs, yes they can be trained but it takes a lot of consistency and hard work and even when; only allow them off leash in a secured area and still keep a very close eye on them. Keep in mind, some huskies can never be trained off leash; they will just run
-Be prepared to get mad, be happy, laugh and joke
-Have a good sense of humour and be willing to have some ripped, chewed and broken things....
-They are diggers
-Invest in a crate
-Make sure you have a secure yard
-Be prepared for lots and lots of hair...
-Be prepared to create a bond that could not be traded for anything.. these animals need time and consistency but most of all they need love.

Sorry about my long list, these are all factors that a husky MAY potentially have. Not saying that all of them do (mine really doesn't) but these are all to keep in mind of what kind of husky you MAY get. Good luckk! Smile
Back to top Go down
tfaigle
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2012-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Selling points of huskies?   Selling points of huskies? EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 12:24 am

Jeter has only been a part of our family for about a month. He's so typical of what everyone says. I'll add they also make walks interesting as he wants to meet all of the people and other dogs. He also loves to play when he's not lying around. On the negative he lives to dig, nip, and chew on things. He's stubborn and he farts quite the geen fog. Others may be different but his love kisses and energy overcome the negatives even when I'm exhausted!
Back to top Go down
mellard
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2012-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Selling points of huskies?   Selling points of huskies? EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 9:38 am

Likewise with Tom. I have only had Oakley for about 3 weeks. Probably the bet dog I have owned. Its great when you come home from work and all he wants to do is just play with you. Yeah he nips when he plays and chews on the carpets occasionally but hi positives definatly outweigh the negatives. Training should start right off the bat. The younger they are the easier they are to train but once they have it they know it. Definatly great dogs to have around and mine always has me on my toes. You kinda have to crawl into their mind and think like they do. But I digress. As for selling points

They are fun
They are energetic and ready to go
They do the most random things
They have quite the personality

Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Selling points of huskies?   Selling points of huskies? EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 11:37 am

What are your parents specific concerns?

Husky's are known for their shedding and can be destructive at times. They are high energy dogs that require a lot of time and attention. I understand that you believe you are ready for these things (although I thought I was ready too and have still been surprised), but are your parents ready for these things.

For example, when the dog is digging holes in the yard or destroy's the couch, it will be your parents yard and couch the dog is damaging. Or when he/she is potty training and has an accident it will be on your parents floor. When the dog howls and whines all night in the crate the first few nights, you wont be the only one being kept awake. Your parents will have a part to play in training as well. Husky's must have consistency in training. So if your husky gets away with a behavior because your parents don't want any part in training, they you are going to have trouble training the husky not to do that behavior.

I would make sure that if you are having a discussion with your parents about getting a husky that you are honest. Don't just try to sugar coat husky ownership for them so you get what you want. That could lead to disaster for you and your husky.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Selling points of huskies?   Selling points of huskies? Empty

Back to top Go down

Selling points of huskies?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1