It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 8:09 am

brady.law wrote:
mheath0429 wrote:
Kelly, if you read her previous post she already tried that Sad

I thought the same thing, I think she means give her a small bowl w multiple peices so she doesn't know which one the pill is in.

That's exactly what I mean Smile

If you give one piece, then they'll know something is up. If you take multiple small pieces, they won't know which one it's hidden in. My dog's use to do the same thing, until I tried this method. The Greenie Pill Pockets work great too!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 8:23 am

Arainais wrote:
I'll try the bowl method. We had a disagreement this morning when she woke me up to go pee. Afterwards, she did NOT want to go back in her crate. She's stubborn, that's for sure. I know she has to be bored out of her mind in there, but they told me strict crate rest until the surgery and maybe for a week or two after (excepting physical therapy times). I can swing by tractor supply today and get her some toys or something to keep her occupied. Any suggestions on good ones to use? My girls don't do toys, unless I give them a tennis ball and it only lasts about 5 minutes til they destroy it.

As much as I'd like to keep her, we're probably just a foster family until she gets healthy enough to go on to a good home. My husband isn't nuts about the idea of adding a third dog to our pack when our first two still don't get along and have to be separated. Although, turns out my rescue friend trains dogs, so she is going to come and help me with those two. If I can get them getting along, he might think about it. I'm not sure she'd work for us anyway because she seems pretty adamant about staying in the house, and our girls are outside girls. If I could find her a home where she could live inside with her owners, I think she'd be happiest there. She seems to have a lot of separation anxiety, whereas my girls are both headstrong and independent. I'll have to be careful about how I go looking for a new family for her because I don't want her previous owner to get wind of it at all. We did technically steal her after all, lol.

Try giving her a stuffed kong or a long lasting chew toy! I gave mine dry roasted beef knuckles and they go crazy over it! My dog's have the attention span of a flea fart and pretty much nothing keeps them more occupied than the knuckles. Smile
Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

Female Join date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 12:12 am

I picked her up a kong treat bone and filled it with peanut butter, and it seems like it kept her busy while we were gone to our daughters' family night at school.

Last edited by Koda on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Deleted Chip-in information)
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 12:17 pm

This thread has been locked because it has crossed a bridge that the staff needs to address. Our goal is to severely limit and restrict the donation requests posted on the forum. The topic and link will remain, but discussion of the donations and questions regarding any request shall be done through private messages.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 11:50 pm

Thread unlocked. Please do not discuss donations in this thread. A new forum has been created for such requests. Any questions regarding donations for Storm can be directed to the OP. Any questions regarding this ruling or policy can be directed towards a staff member.

Thank you for your understanding.

Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 4:15 am

Last edited by Jennet&Embry on Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 2:59 pm

Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 Photo15

See all this black stuff on her face? I can't get it off of her no matter how hard I try. I can't bathe her because it hurts her too much to do so, but I've tried using a soft cloth soaked in warm, soapy water (I've tried using doggie shampoo as well as regular Dawn dish detergent). Nothing seems to help. I thought the black stuff was caked mud, but now I'm not so sure. It is hard and stiff and doesn't seem to diminish no matter how much I scrub. Also, it seems to be bothering her. She's been scratching and digging at that side of her face and I'm afraid she is going to scratch a sore there. She's already torn out some of the hair where it is. Anyway, it's all over the side of her face and her ear. Any ideas what it might be or suggestions for how to get it off?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 3:16 pm

Honestly, it looks like sap or tar to me. I am gonna catch some scrutiny for this, but I would cut it off. Just me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Charsmom
Teenager
Teenager
Charsmom

Female Join date : 2012-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 3:24 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Honestly, it looks like sap or tar to me. I am gonna catch some scrutiny for this, but I would cut it off. Just me.

I was thinking the same thing.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 4:02 pm

If you don't want to cut the gunk out, if it's sap butter might work (it works on human skin, not sure about fur) or if it's tar, I found this on http://www.hairfinder.com/hair4/remove-tar.htm:
" Secondly, there are those who use the same methods as with chewing gum to remove the tar. The difference is that in this case you use a non-vegetable oil, such as mineral oil or baby oil. Apply the oil to the tarred hair, allow it to sit for a short time, then gently work the tar out of the hair using a comb. If you wish, you can use a little iced water poured over the tar to keep it firm and make it easier to comb out."
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 10:02 pm

Ice it and maybe it'll break off in pieces??????
Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 10:11 pm

I'll give all these things a try tomorrow. Thanks for all of the suggestions! If her hair was long enough, I would just go ahead and cut it out, but her hair is really short where it is located, especially around her ears.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 11:54 pm

I was going to suggest baby oil. Otherwise, just cut it off. If you really can't get it to come off this might be the better option if it is bugging her. Poor girl.
Kelly

Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 11:55 am

Some other thing's you could try is Olive Oil & comb, Vaseline and comb, Adhesive remover, Tooth paste, or Eucalyptus oil.
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 12:20 pm

Looks almost like asphalt sealer to me. We recently sealed our driveway and my boys got it on them and we used WD40 on a rag to get it off. Didn't cause any irritation and worked, but with it near her eyes i'd be fearful. What about something like "Goo Gone?" You could mention suggestions to your vet to see what would be safe to try. Maybe try something on her ears first just to see if it works. I'd just be diligent in cleaning any product off thoroughly after you get the gunk out. Poor girl Sad Makes me wonder if it's something she got into herself or if something could have been thrown on her
Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 1:42 am

She's sleeping in her crate now. I am nervous about her surgery tomorrow, so please keep her in your thoughts. The vet will call me as soon as it's over to let me know how she did, so I will update as soon as I can.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 4:05 am

Hope her surgery goes well!
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 7:19 am

Thinking of you and Storm today. Prayers for a successful surgery so she can get on the road to healing and happiness
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 8:40 am

Good luck, I'll be thinking of you and Storm.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 9:54 am

Wish you guys the best with surgery today.. Give storm some hugs from us..
Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 12:59 pm

Dropped off our girl this morning. Somehow despite everything she's been eating this past week, she had actually lost weight since she was there last Tuesday. =( They are going to check her for parasites and heartworms while they have her. Now I'm just waiting on a call to let me know how she's doing.
Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 1:49 pm

Well the vet just called. After they got her in there and the two senior vets assessed her they decided that she is too sickly and malnourished to do her surgery right now. They did her pre-surgery blood work and it all checked out fine and she tested negative for heartworms, which is great news. However, they said she is full of tapeworms and so they want to deworm her and try to get about 15-20 lbs of weight/muscle mass on her before they do the surgery. They said they could go ahead and do it, but the risk would be much higher and I am just not willing to take any risks with her. I am getting ready to go get her and will double up on the satin balls to see if we can get some more weight on her.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 1:53 pm

I think you made the right decision. It would seem logical the better her muscle tone and overall health the better the recovery. Once the tapeworms die she should start gaining. Good luck and thanks for caring for her!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 2:30 pm

I think we will all support that decision.

Regardless of what happens and if you keep her - you are the best mom she has ever had. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 8:14 pm

When I picked Storm up, they gave me copies of her X-Rays. Here's the one that shows her busted up pelvis.

Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 459_74963_3_s0
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread   Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Storm (our rescue girl) updates thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next