It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Protective over food out of nowhere

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bcmorrow89
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-09-03

Protective over food out of nowhere Empty
PostSubject: Protective over food out of nowhere   Protective over food out of nowhere EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 12:53 pm

Just created an account, but I did a lot of my research here and training tips here before my wife and I got our first Husky, that's right, rookie Husky owners here. We got our little girl, Luna, when she was 6 weeks old (I know a lot of people here will not be happy with that, but sorry). She is now 4 months old now (17 weeks). I don't want to complain first, so I'll start with compliments: She goes to the door on her own 95% of the time when she has to go to the bathroom, sits, lays, shakes, stays, comes (but only when her attention span allows it or she isn't in a super hyper play mood), loves to be in her crate and she is in there everytime we leave and every night. She sleeps through the whole night and hasn't had an accident in a long time. We're still trying to work on her not jumping on people to say hi, but she loves giving kisses.

I'll separate for anyone who doesn't want the history haha

Onto the bad.... Out of nowhere we've been having problems with her being protective over her food (eats in her crate). As long as we've had her, my wife and I both, have fed her from our hand (not the entire meal, but just a couple small handfuls), scratched her back, stomach, face, under her chin, and even kissed her while she's ate and never had the slightest problem....until 2 days ago. All of a sudden if you touch her while she's eating she either eats very very slowly or freezes and if I scratch under her chin, she'll growl every now and then. She doens't care if I touch the bowl, take food out, or take the bowl from her. Her only problem is being touched. We haven't gotten to nipping or anything like that while she's eating but I'm afraid it will just get worse. My plan is just to keep petting her and maybe she'll get used to it again. But any other thoughts on what's going on? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Protective over food out of nowhere   Protective over food out of nowhere EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 3:16 pm

Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Protective over food out of nowhere   Protective over food out of nowhere EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 6:27 am

I agree with Brooke go back to hand feeding her entire meal. for treats, make her work for them.
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Protective over food out of nowhere   Protective over food out of nowhere EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 8:51 am

My dog started that too, I can take ANYTHING out of his mouth but if he is eating he is becoming a jerk and also he digs up mice in the yard and the only way to safely get him to drop them is to spray him with the hose..HE LIKES THE HOSE lol.
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Protective over food out of nowhere   Protective over food out of nowhere EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 11:44 am

I just went through this, and there is hope! If you look back you may be able to find my post about my journey with Finnicks food aggression.
Some tips though...
I would not suggest feeding in a crate. Ever.
While messing with a dog while eating seems like a good idea, it actually made Finnick worse.

If you cannot find my previous thread, I will be happy to look it up for you Smile
Back to top Go down
bcmorrow89
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2012-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Protective over food out of nowhere   Protective over food out of nowhere EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 2:21 pm

She's gotten a little bit better, but I think she just generally doesn't like being touched while she's eating out of her bowl, even while I'm holding it. While she's eating out of my hand, nothing bothers her. We're thinking about trying it out of the crate also, I feel like her basically being backed into a corner / small space doesn't help at all. Especially when she nips or growls while she's eating and we get onto her.

But just recently, within the last few days, She hasn't been eating normally. She's been very very slow, a few pieces at a time, even out of my hand. She's not finishing her meals either. We're thinking it's her teeth bothering her because the longer she eats, the less she eats. It will start normal and then after half the food is gone she's very reluctant to eat and usually eats one piece of food at a time until she just stops all together. When she starts acting funny she also tries to turn the bowl over out of our hand with her head as if to say "I don't want anymore". At first I thought she wanted her food on the floor, but that's not it either. Does her teeth bothering her seem like a possibility to anyone?

On a more happy note: We start classes with her this coming Monday with a very well regarded trainer in our area. It's a 7 week class and he looks forward to having a husky in his class he told me. Wish us luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Protective over food out of nowhere   Protective over food out of nowhere Empty

Back to top Go down

Protective over food out of nowhere

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1