It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
markquinton
Newborn
Newborn

Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them! Empty
PostSubject: Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them!   Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them! EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi all

Well as mentione on another topic I really would love to bring a husky into the family. We currently have 3 cats but I have always wante a Husky and now i'm allowed one! However I have some basic questions, they are very basic indeed but will help me understand the changes we need to make should we take on a husky.

1) If you want to visit the local shop im assuming you need to leave the husky crated at home as they are too precious to leave tied up? This could be a problem as our 4 year old is now starting school so if we wanted to take the dog to pick him up we would need to tie him somewhere.

2) If a puppy is left for 1 or 2 days a week on its own how many time should I arrange a visitor to come and let him/her out for a toilet break?? Or will puppy pads surfice?

Thanks guys, please don't shoot me down for basic questions. I am a first time dog owner but am only interested in Husky's and will do out best to ensure we suceed at ownership.

Thanks

Mark

Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them!   Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them! EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 9:17 pm

Mark, good on you for doing your research! No one will shoot you down for asking questions, we were all new at this once too Smile

I think most of us will agree, it's generally a bad idea to leave a Husky tied up. We do have a member whose puppy was stolen out of his truck, but thankfully he got the puppy back. More than that though, there are a lot of dangers associated with doing that, and Huskies generally don't do well tied up and separated from their pack. Crud, there are a lot that don't do well crated during the day either.

That leads into your second question. Crate training will help a lot, but with a super young puppy you are going to have to have someone come by to let the puppy out every couple of hours. A puppy can generally hold their bladders for about an hour per month of age. I'm really not a big fan of puppy pads either, they really sort of hinder the potty training process because it gives them the idea that it is ok to potty in the house.

Instead of getting a puppy, you may want to look into adopting since an older dog is generally going to be potty trained and will likely be a little more mellow (if it's older than about 2). If you do decide to go the puppy route, we will help you find a good breeder. There are a lot of really lousy breeders out there, and it's hard to tell right away sometimes if they're bad.

Good luck!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them! 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them!   Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them! EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 9:33 pm

I love my adult dogs I got. I haven't had the puppy thing but like Meredith said, they usually are already trained.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your choice.

There are always more adult dogs out there that get over looked because they aren't a puppy. When you find one you like, I recommend going to see the dog several times for extended time periods. The dogs true personality won't show in minutes. Spend an hour with the dog if possible, if it doesn't work out, the dog will have a new friend to remember after you leave.
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them!   Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them! EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 9:37 am

When my father has to leave his husky alone(which is rare) he puts him and his poodle(For company) in the yard, my dad has a shaded area with a fan blowing and leaves a bowl of water out for them. The only time thunder does good is if the poodle is outside with him, other wise he howls like a banshee.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them!   Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them! EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 1:10 pm

Well said, Meredith.

Can you clarify the tie-out question a little more? I think you are wanting to tie the dog up outside the school so that you can go inside and collect your 4-yr old? I am a big proponent of taking your dog to any school or sports activity that is held outside. I know that it would depend on the school, but if a tiny poodle is allowed in the building, properly restrained of course, so is my boy. I take Sabaka to school all the time and if I had to go inside with him, I would just ask.

Teaching manners and proper behavior around kids should start as soon as you get your pup. Also certifying him with the CGS (Canine Good Citizen) would go along way to insure that he will...well...be a "good citizen" if allowed into the school.
Back to top Go down
markquinton
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them!   Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them! EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 1:36 pm

SabakaMom

I totally agree I would love the dog to be part of the school run in both directions, I just assumed in this health and safety gone mad kind of world we live in that dogs may not be allowed in the school property. However I will check with the school!
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them!   Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them! EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 1:56 pm

I'm sure there is some amount of liability for the school is dogs are allowed inside the building. There really should be signs on all doors where dogs are not allowed.

At age 4, my kids were still at a small privately owned pre-school. Rules are different for government buildings, I'm sure. My kids still attend a private school where the art teacher was allowed to bring her puppy to class for an entire year as she worked on his behavior so that he could become a therapy/companion dog.

It never hurts to ask...
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them!   Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them! EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 4:49 pm

Depending where you are, it might be against the by-laws to leave a dog tied up. In Vancouver it's not allowed - if you tie a dog up outside a shop while you go in, you might come out to find animal control taking the dog away. But also as Meredith mentioned, it's not a good idea for many other reasons, namely the possibilities of escape and theft.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them!   Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them! Empty

Back to top Go down

Some very basic questions! Sorry to have to ask them!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: General Discussions-