It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What can be causing these ear infections!?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

What can be causing these ear infections!? Empty
PostSubject: What can be causing these ear infections!?   What can be causing these ear infections!? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 11:08 am

Alrighty! So now it seems that Mya has an ear infection. Hubby was saying goodbye to her this morning and noticed that her right ear was kind of smelly. I grabbed the Q-Tips and sure enough...some nasty stuff came out of there! I also noticed that her ear is swollen on the corner. Right where that little hairy ear flap is. I'm not sure how to explain it. You can feel it from the outside and inside too. I made a vet appointment for Saturday.

Kody got an ear infection a few months ago, then Asia, and now Mya. This is all within 4 months.I find this extremely odd. Is there something that could be causing ear infections in the three of them?! With Kody and Asia I thought it might be because they bite each others ears a lot while playing, but not Mya. scratch

Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: What can be causing these ear infections!?   What can be causing these ear infections!? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 11:37 am

Two common causes are fleas / bugs and exposure to lots of unclean water.

Mikko had several bouts of infections when the vet scoped his ear and found significant loose hair on his ear drum. I don't know if this is typical for other huskies (my other 3 haven't had an issue). The vet suspected Mikko's ZRD was causing the resulting hair loss to just fall into the ear canal. While he was sedated for teeth cleaning he removed it and no infections since.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What can be causing these ear infections!?   What can be causing these ear infections!? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 11:39 am

I thought it could be ear mites, but both Kody and Asia's where yeast ear infections. This is so odd!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: What can be causing these ear infections!?   What can be causing these ear infections!? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 5:14 pm

Your Miami humidity would be my 1st guess. Mylo, use to get infections in his ears all the time, finally got some cleaner from the vet to use about once a month never had the problem after that.,
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: What can be causing these ear infections!?   What can be causing these ear infections!? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 7:47 pm

I use a product called Oti-Clens on kale every week. It's an acidic solution that makes the ear less than stellar for yeast organisms. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What can be causing these ear infections!?   What can be causing these ear infections!? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 8:11 pm

Is this it Brooke?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=666&ref=NA&subref=NA&cmpid=PPC-G-NA
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: What can be causing these ear infections!?   What can be causing these ear infections!? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 8:27 pm

Yup that's it! I put about 1cc in both ears. I use a 3 cc syringe, makes the bottle last longer lol I wouldn't use it on a dog with a current ear infection because it'll sting.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What can be causing these ear infections!?   What can be causing these ear infections!? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 8:40 pm

Gotcha! Thanks! I'll look into it. At least start Kody on it and the girls once they're done with their ear drops. Asia has about another week of it and Mya should be starting on Saturday. I was just going to put Asias drops on Mya, but since her ear is swollen I think I should take her in.

Always something!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: What can be causing these ear infections!?   What can be causing these ear infections!? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 8:51 pm

I know how you feel! Kale has Colitis AGAIN, a skin infection on his chin, and last night some a**hole pulled out right in front of me, slammed on my brakes (almost creamed him) and kale and I flew forward. He hit his chin on the dash (right where in infection is) and now has an abrasion on top. Evil or Very Mad I was pissed.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: What can be causing these ear infections!?   What can be causing these ear infections!? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 9:49 pm

I have a cleaner for my labs ears that I use whenever she gets in water, something similar to Brookes, I have to use it about once a week or she gets an infection.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What can be causing these ear infections!?   What can be causing these ear infections!? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 9:54 pm

hypers987 wrote:
I know how you feel! Kale has Colitis AGAIN, a skin infection on his chin, and last night some a**hole pulled out right in front of me, slammed on my brakes (almost creamed him) and kale and I flew forward. He hit his chin on the dash (right where in infection is) and now has an abrasion on top. Evil or Very Mad I was pissed.

Ugh I would have been pissed too!!! Something similar happened to me the other day on the way home from the doggie park with Kody and Asia. I didn't strap them in because on the way home they're so tired that they just sleep. I usually do it anyway, but this I let it slide. Right when I was turning onto my block some dude took the stop and when I slammed on the brakes they both flew forward. If I wouldn't have put my arm back Asia would have ended up on the dash too. From the back seat!

Balonsmom wrote:
I have a cleaner for my labs ears that I use whenever she gets in water, something similar to Brookes, I have to use it about once a week or she gets an infection.

My mom has to do the same for her golden because of the floppy ears
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What can be causing these ear infections!?   What can be causing these ear infections!? EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:42 pm

I use a combo of ACV, few drops of tea tree oil, and warm distilled water. If its bad I put coconut oil in to preface it, a few washes of ACV/Water/Tea tree oil and then cotton ball dry.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What can be causing these ear infections!?   What can be causing these ear infections!? EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 9:23 am

arooroomom wrote:
I use a combo of ACV, few drops of tea tree oil, and warm distilled water. If its bad I put coconut oil in to preface it, a few washes of ACV/Water/Tea tree oil and then cotton ball dry.

where can i get the tea tree oil? You told me before, but I forgot Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: What can be causing these ear infections!?   What can be causing these ear infections!? EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 4:55 pm

Amazon has them Smile
I think certain pharmacies have some here too. in the natural sections.

We still have plenty of cleaser the vet gave us for Rip's ears, but it seems a little unneccesary since every time we turn around TIka is cleaning them out for her......lol

~Kelly

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: What can be causing these ear infections!?   What can be causing these ear infections!? EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 5:58 pm

Most health food stores will carry Tea Tree Oil.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What can be causing these ear infections!?   What can be causing these ear infections!? Empty

Back to top Go down

What can be causing these ear infections!?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1