It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Wellness VS TOTW

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 12:27 pm

When I got Nikko I fed him Wellness Super5mix for puppy, so when I got Yukon I fed the same thing. Yukon has been having very runny poo’s and doesn’t seem to want to eat the Wellness. My original plan was to switch them both to TOTW when they are ready for adult food. With the issues with Yukon I decided to switch him now to TOTW puppy formula (high prairie). Since Nikko seems fine with the Wellness puppy food I am going to keep him on that until he is ready for adult food, then switch him over to TOTW adult formula.

I am hoping it is just the food, and that he does well on TOTW. Anyone have a preference between the Wellness and TOTW?

I know Wellness has the CORE line, but honestly it is too expensive at almost 70 dollars for a 26 lb bag. At least TOTW is more reasonable at 45-50 dollars for a 30lb bag.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 12:45 pm

so is the wellness you are feeding now have grains in it?

i feed the wellness core and nature domain from costco (knock off of TOTW) the core is $$ but i mix it and also sierra is the only one that eats it, S&J are on different foods. you might be lucky and they can both do the TOTW but its ok to have them on 2 different kinds of food.

Adult
Adult
jschrader

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 12:50 pm

The Wellness that I feed them now does have grains in it. I had thought about Wellness CORE but it is too expensive, especially with two of them.

I was hoping to have them on the same food the whole time but that’s not going to happen for now. I will switch Yukon to TOTW, and since Nikko is fine with the Wellness I will continue to feed him that until he is ready for adult food, then I will switch him to TOTW.

By next summer I am hoping to have them both on TOTW adult formula.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 2:01 pm

jschrader wrote:
When I got Nikko I fed him Wellness Super5mix for puppy, so when I got Yukon I fed the same thing. Yukon has been having very runny poo’s and doesn’t seem to want to eat the Wellness.

it seems that your boy Yukon could have a grain issue then on the wellness and the TOTW would be a better option. in fact thats what lead me to this forum, when we adopted Jack he had mushy poos forever till i started looking on google, found the people here and they were like huskies can have issues with grain based foods, switched to grain free and his poop was all good from there:) sierra can eat anything and be fine. going to TOTW for both when they get older will be a good thing if Nikko does well on it.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 2:36 pm

May I ask why you aren't putting both on TOTW? It's an All Life Stages food, so I feel it would be completely ok.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 3:14 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
May I ask why you aren't putting both on TOTW? It's an All Life Stages food, so I feel it would be completely ok.

Well my only reason is that I have a 30lb bag of Wellness sitting in my closet that I need to go through LOL!. So I ordered the TOTW puppy formula and I will start Yukon out on that. When Nikko is done with the Wellness I will switch him over to TOTW, which will probably be around the first of November.

BUT Nikko will be ready for adult food, and Yukon will still be on puppy food. Do you think it would be fine to switch Yukon over to the adult TOTW adult formula in November when he is just 4 ½ months old? Or should I have them on separate formulas of TOTW?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 3:16 pm

All pet stores will take it back - just say the dog didn't like it. Should be an issue at all.

I know it would be fine to put him on the adult, since it was all life stages until about 6 months ago when they added a puppy. It's just a marketing scheme.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 3:20 pm

Yeah..the only problem is that I bought it online through MrChewy.com, so that might be more of a hassle to ship it back.

Since I already placed the order for the TOTW puppy formula maybe I will just go ahead and switch them both to adult when they are done with those.

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Honestly, just take it to petsmart, they will never know.

Maybe that is sneaky, but if its what is best for your dogs - I wouldn't hesitate.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 3:30 pm

I could try to, however last time I checked they did not carry the 30lb bags of that brand, and they would probably just give me store credit, which would be fine since I would spend it there anyway. That would solve the issue of having them on 2 different foods.

I looked at the different formulas of TOTW, and the puppy formula has 4% more protein, 1% more fat and 2% less fiber than the adult formula, however there is no difference between the Wellness puppy and TOTW adult when it comes to that.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 3:34 pm

Actually, scratch that I read them wrong. The TOTW puppy formula is the same nutrition as Wellness; the adult formula has the more protein and fat
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 5:23 pm

mheath0429 wrote:

Maybe that is sneaky, but if its what is best for your dogs - I wouldn't hesitate.

Karma works in scary ways.

Just continue to mix it with the TOTW or better yet donate it to a rescue they'll be most appreciative.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 5:26 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
mheath0429 wrote:

Karma works in scary ways.

Just continue to mix it with the TOTW or better yet donate it to a rescue they'll be most appreciative.

Considering that I am on a budget and the food costs almost $60.00 per bag I would first consider returning it to PetSmart since I paid for it. It's not like I am trying to get something for nothing. However since the PetSmart near me does not carry that bag, I will continue to use it for my older pup that is doing fine on Wellness.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 5:42 pm

True Len. Karma's been a bitch lately - I guess I should learn that lesson lol
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 5:45 pm

Just a note, you might not want to invest a ton in the change over up front before you know if the TOTW will agree with your pups. We tried it with Bode and it just didn't work for him, and I know a couple other members had the issue too, but plenty do just fine. As someone mentioned above, Costco has a grain free food and it's very budget friendly. It's around $28-30 for a 30lb bag, and Bode loves it. It also really helped firm up his stool when TOTW wasn't working.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 5:48 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
True Len. Karma's been a bitch lately - I guess I should learn that lesson lol

meh, I don't really buy into "karma" but what you suggested is perfectly reasonable. It's not like I am trying to return a used product or a product I did not pay for.

Even so I'll just end up keeping Nikko on the Wellness until it's gone and switch him over to TOTW afterwards.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 5:50 pm

MGoBlue wrote:
Just a note, you might not want to invest a ton in the change over up front before you know if the TOTW will agree with your pups. We tried it with Bode and it just didn't work for him, and I know a couple other members had the issue too, but plenty do just fine. As someone mentioned above, Costco has a grain free food and it's very budget friendly. It's around $28-30 for a 30lb bag, and Bode loves it. It also really helped firm up his stool when TOTW wasn't working.

That's a pretty good price! I got a discount on the first bag of TOTW so it wasn't too bad. I thought about that after I ordered it though. doh!

I used to have a Costco membership but it wasn't worth the 50 bucks a year to renew, but that was before the dogs...now maybe it would be a better deal
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 9:11 pm

If you go ith TOTW high prairie, it might give your dog gass issues. If that happens, try TOTW pacific stream. My Willow is sensitive to foods and high prairie gave her horrible gas. Once we switched to the Salmon, she did wonderfully. I believe there were a couple members that had the same gas issue with HP and did fine when they switched to Salmon as well. I have since switched mine to Salmon and potato, 4Health from Tractor Supply Co because it's $10 cheaper and a bigger bag than TOTW but I would definitely put them back on TOTW if need be.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 9:17 pm

26nikita wrote:
If you go ith TOTW high prairie, it might give your dog gass issues. If that happens, try TOTW pacific stream. My Willow is sensitive to foods and high prairie gave her horrible gas. Once we switched to the Salmon, she did wonderfully. I believe there were a couple members that had the same gas issue with HP and did fine when they switched to Salmon as well. I have since switched mine to Salmon and potato, 4Health from Tractor Supply Co because it's $10 cheaper and a bigger bag than TOTW but I would definitely put them back on TOTW if need be.

ugh! That's all I need is two smelly huskies!!! Nikko can clear a room with his gas..it is like opening leftover sauerkraut. Nasty stuff
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 9:22 pm

If that's the case you may just want to start them off on the pacific stream. Smile
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 9:26 pm

26nikita wrote:

I had gas issues with TOTW with my girl.. I am not sure which one now that I think of it I ended up switching both of them to another brand which helped.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 9:32 pm

ljelgin wrote:

I had gas issues with TOTW with my girl.. I am not sure which one now that I think of it I ended up switching both of them to another brand which helped.

I bet it was the high prairie! That was the only flavor I heard feedback on with the gas issues. I wish I could remember who but I'm pretty sure it was someone on this forum and a couple people on another forum. Luckily I was told to try the pacific stream and that solved the issue.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 11:24 am

Well, its been about a week and a half and have fully switched Yukon over to TOTW. He is doing much better on it than the Wellness. His poo’s have started firming up. Now, instead of mostly being runny they are solid most of the time. I have not noticed any gas issues with it.

Now, the only issue I am having is he goes crazy when it is feeding time, like it has been days since he ate last! He will gulp his food down in 30 seconds and will cry and squirm if you try to hold him back from his bowl. This is a 180 from before when I would have to put treats in his food to get him to eat it. I have him on a 3x per day feeding schedule (6am, noon, 6pm).

I still have tons on Wellness left, so Nikko is still on that food. Soon I will start switching him over, but that will take about a month.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wellness VS TOTW Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wellness VS TOTW   Wellness VS TOTW Empty

Back to top Go down

Wellness VS TOTW

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1