It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Neglected Husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Beki
Newborn
Newborn
Beki

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 11:01 pm

hello everyone! it's a pleasure to be a member of the site. however, i wish my cause for joining was a different reason. i am currently not a husky owner, though i absolutely adore the breed.

*apologies for the length of this post!*

i've always loved the breed, however i just recently found out how great of a breed they really are. just a few days ago, i spotted a husky wandering along the sidewalk just down the street of my house as i was driving. i pulled over and she came to me easily, though she was slightly skittish at first. i easily leashed her(she had no collar, though the area around her neck was bald, as if she has had one before) and she just jumped into the car. i immediately assumed she was a stray because of her bad condition-she was filthy, stink, and had some kind of skin issues(certain areas of skin were bald, swollen, and the skin was black/pink). she looked as if she hadn't eaten in a week+ and was parched! i bathed her, gave her water and food.
however, i discovered that her owner lived on the street where she was wandering. they keep her chained up outside with no shelter. i was appalled that they had only lost her that day. her owner had a bitter attitude and didn't seem very appreciative of me taking her in.

she is literally the most gorgeous husky i've ever seen in my life! and she has the sweetest temperament, very easygoing and not aggressive. it's so sad to think about how such an amazing dog is wasting away outside, neglecting and abused... i would have gladly kept her if she turned out to be a stray.

now my question is, what can i do to help her? my concern with calling animal control is that they won't do anything and just brush me off. or, even worse, if they do decide to remove her from her owner, i'm worried that they won't even give her a chance and put her down immediately. should i just continue feeding her and giving her water? or should i confront the owner about it? put my concerns aside and call the rspca/animal control? i really don't want her to go through this very much longer-she deserves better.

thank you for reading this!!
-Beki
Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

Female Join date : 2011-12-15

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 11:08 pm

She looks terrible! Poor girl =( I take it you have already returned her to her owners?

I am actually going through something similar, except I already have two huskies of my own. I ended up just taking the dog and I am getting her medical attention and will be rehoming her once she is healthy. Maybe not the "legal" way to do things, but as far as I am concerned the original owner lost the rights to own her when they neglected her. If you want to read her story you can see it here: https://www.itsahuskything.com/t6099-disgusting-neglect-case-remember-the-stray-pregnant-momma-husky-at-my-friend-s
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 11:13 pm

I think you should call animal control right away, the police if necessary. Send them the photos and ask them to make sure that she is going into a shelter or faster care. either way I would make sure she gets out of that awful situation.
Kelly

Newborn
Newborn
Beki

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 11:15 pm

yes, i've returned her. i know, she looked terrible when i found her Crying or Very sad however after the bath, she was quite a beauty! you can see a little bit of the reddish/pink skin on her neck in the picture.

i've been contemplating over the idea of just taking her, but i have a feeling that the owner would know it was me. i don't want things to get chaotic. taking her is an absolute resort, though if push comes to shove then i guess i don't have any other choice. thank you for your response!! i hope everything goes well with your girl. sending good thoughts your way!!

i think she may have been pregnant as well(or at least was), but i'm not sure.

thanks, kelly. i don't have any photos of her skin problems at the moment, but she does get off of her chain and wander around sometimes so if i can spot her while she's out i'll take some photos.
Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

Female Join date : 2011-12-15

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 11:23 pm

I would definitely call the local Animal control officer. If you're interested in her, tell them so when you call.
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 11:32 pm

Ugh look at that poor girl. I would call as well and tell them you are interested in her.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 11:42 pm

Make sure you tell them you gave her a bath when you found her and then show them the pics you have in your avatar to prove how bad she was. The pink skin around her neck should be enough for them to question her safety there. I'm not sure if you should tell them you want her just yet. What if the guy says you stole her and then the animal control might question your motives. I could be over thinking it though.
Back to top Go down
Beki
Newborn
Newborn
Beki

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 11:47 pm

alright, thank you! i don't think you're over thinking it-in all honesty he does seem like the kind of guy to say something like that.

i plan to give animal control a call as soon as possible.
Back to top Go down
Beki
Newborn
Newborn
Beki

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 12:09 am

when/if she is evacuated from the home, is that when i should tell them that i'd be willing to adopt her and pay for her vet bills? again, thank you all for your help!
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 12:20 am

That is sad how she has been treated. I would talk to the local humane society. Since in my town they only work part time. I think animal control officers are only for picking up strays.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 12:32 am

Gunnersmatejmac wrote:
That is sad how she has been treated. I would talk to the local humane society. Since in my town they only work part time. I think animal control officers are only for picking up strays.

Sorry, but I would NEVER use the humane society. Especially in our area. They only have a 21% save rate.

Are there any husky specific rescues in your area?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 12:41 am

Beki wrote:
when/if she is evacuated from the home, is that when i should tell them that i'd be willing to adopt her and pay for her vet bills? again, thank you all for your help!

If it was me, I would call the next day to "check up" on her. Tell them you just can't get her out of your head and want to help. Smile
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 1:05 am

mheath0429 wrote:
Gunnersmatejmac wrote:

Sorry, but I would NEVER use the humane society. Especially in our area. They only have a 21% save rate.

I had no idea espically with shows like animal cops of various cites.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 1:10 am

Yeah they are REALLY good at acting. Our Humane Society is horrible and for profit. They make A LOT of money and yet are always askign for donations - its B.S.
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 1:23 am

Yeah sounds like it.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 1:57 am

mheath0429 wrote:
Gunnersmatejmac wrote:

But can a rescue do anything to get the dog out of a home?

Not trying to be rude, just curious. I assumed since they technically own the dog that a rescue can't just take it like animal control could.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 2:37 am

Ac can. Our ac can transport to rescue as well.
Back to top Go down
Beki
Newborn
Newborn
Beki

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 5:13 am

i contacted animal control a few hours ago and sent them the photos. i will contact them again tomorrow to follow up. thank you everyone for your help. i drove by storm's house today on my way home. poor thing was chained up outside in the rain. she's looking skinnier, and i returned her last thursday! unfortunately i haven't been able to sneak her food recently, but hopefully i won't have to worry about that anymore if animal control investigates the case and removes her from the home. please send good thoughts storm's way!!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 9:49 am

This is just horrible! Clearly the "owners" don't want this dog if they would leave her in the back yard neglected. If I were you, I would go to their home and offer to buy the dog from them (offer like $50-$100). Tell them what kind of a life she could live in you're care and that may melt some of the ice away from their heart to consider signing ownership over to you. It's worth a shot ...
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Kelly has a good idea. Tell the owner you would like to buy the dog from them and if they agree I would make them sign some sort of bill of sale. That way after you get her taken care of they don't try to get her back.

She looks pitiful, but hopefully you will be able to rescue her!
Back to top Go down
Beki
Newborn
Newborn
Beki

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 9:35 pm

thank you both, kelley & shawna! animal control has yet to investigate, so i may just offer to buy storm soon. it's been raining almost nonstop here and i just can't stop thinking about her having no shelter in this whether. Sad
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 10:39 pm

I hope they'll let you take her Sad
Back to top Go down
xxchristine
Puppy
Puppy
xxchristine

Female Join date : 2012-02-26

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 6:23 am

I hope everything works out one way or another! Sounds like she deserves a loving home that you could provide. Keep us all posted Smile
Back to top Go down
http://xxchristine.tumblr.com
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 6:49 am

Perhaps get a friend to offer to buy her, that way if you do end up taking matters into your own hands they won't be pointing the finger at you...Good luck with it all!
Back to top Go down
Beki
Newborn
Newborn
Beki

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 12:08 am

so i went up to storm's house this morning to talk to her owner about possibly adopting her since animal control hasn't done anything yet. i gave her a bit of food. however, her owner hasn't been home and now that i think about it his car hasn't been in his garage lately. i'm going to keep checking back, but hopefully he didn't just go off somewhere and leave her there alone. Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Neglected Husky Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neglected Husky   Neglected Husky Empty

Back to top Go down

Neglected Husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next