It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? Empty
PostSubject: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 9:12 pm

Iv been noticing that husky's tend to look like they walk a little funny, I thought maybe something was wrong with my pup then you tubed a bunch of huskies and they all seem to have that "Stiff" look to there back legs. Anyone know why this is???
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 12:41 am

Maybe you could video tape? I'm not sure what you mean.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 9:15 am

Freya looks like that sometimes. I was considering getting her hips x-rayed when she goes in for her spay next month. just to see if there was anything related to her hips.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 9:48 am

I will try to the next time I am at my dads, It looks like stiff knees, Ill show you a video I found on you tube, he looks just like this when he walks. https://youtu.be/IID5mRvwemc notice the knees seem stiff, thats how Thunder walks, and every husky I have seen does too, I must admit I got scared it was something wrong with the knees/hips but the vet said everything was normal.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 10:21 am

Blaze walks different with his right back leg than theleft one.. I ask the vet about it he did not x-ray but did check him felt he would not extend his knee on his back legs.. Kerian does he show me using her how it should be.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 10:48 am

I'm sure my 2 look stiff as well, like the knees don't bend, never thought it was odd.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 10:50 am

Omg, yes! When I noticed Mya walking like that I thought it was her hips and took her to the vet, but then we got Kody and he walks like that too. So does Asia! Let me see if I have a video of them walking. I think I might...
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 10:52 am

I think that you can sort of tell on Kody in this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2OSY_xe7Vc
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 11:44 am

It has to be a husky thing, A lady saw me walking him and asked me "Whats wrong with his legs" now I have to explain that its nothing just a husky trait I Guess lol. So I am not insane for noticing this lol.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 1:24 pm

I guess I don't see it. They look like they walk like other dogs to me.

Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 1:34 pm

I think this is an all dog thing...
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 11:49 pm

SaraB wrote:

Yea I agree, most dogs don't bend there knees when walking or trotting.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 11:52 pm

It's not a bending knee thing. It's more of a stiff hip walk thing...lol. That probably makes no sense, but I know what she means! Razz
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 8:02 am

Balon's gait is definitely different then Ruby's (lab) he sort of prances lol.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 8:10 am

two of mine have a stiff hip gait. I always thought it had to do with genetics and being breed to pull. More of a 4WD as apposed to 2WD.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 8:38 am

Melissa I am glad you understand what I am trying to say lol.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 2:20 pm

SaraB wrote:

I'm the same, I've never seen a husky that walked different from any other dog. confused

Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 3:40 pm

Hmm, I am not sure if I know what you mean. But there is a website with video/motion capture of dog gaits that is used for teaching people about hip dysplasia, and it has video of a normal dog gait too. So you could look at that if you find it useful: http://www.heathercaprette.info/COTA_741_sp04/CanineLO_090504.html. It's a greyhound that they have for the normal gait, not a husky, but maybe it will still look like a familiar gait. You have to click 'begin' and then click 'skip to normal walking' and choose the video option (it goes automatically to the motion capture). Hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 10:37 am

The only husky I've seen recently who walks with a really stiff hip gait I'm pretty sure she has HD, cause she limps too.

Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 10:56 am

Maybe it just looks off to me because someone mentioned it, he walks like all the other huskies iv seen.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 1:24 pm

I know what you mean because I obsess over my dogs and noticed that on Chili - had the vet check him over for hip dysplasia and he's fine (just like Melissa said!). After watching more huskies and other dogs walk, I realized it was normal and I was just being crazy husky mom. Wink It's normal! hehe
Back to top Go down
LoveMyBrat
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2013-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 4:13 pm

hypers987 wrote:
SaraB wrote:

Yea I agree, most dogs don't bend there knees when walking or trotting.

i think this totally hits the nail on the head. i have noticed this in Thor. He can walk normally, but for the most part, he trots or prances, which is what i think you are describing. My bf and i have a running joke that his attitude (high head/prance/not listening to us when he doesn't want to) just screams "f* you, i am majestic."
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 5:09 pm

There was just a conversation about this on my other forum! We were talking about form and function and someone brought up how it seems like dogs that were bred for pulling heavy loads have a stiff look to their walk, and their back legs look shorter than, say a herder, who needs the agility to get around a flock or herd while on rough terrain. Those dogs tend to be leggier and have a more loose gait. Now it was pretty much speculation based on observations, but it makes sense!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?   Why do Husky's look like they walk funny? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why do Husky's look like they walk funny?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1