It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

sooooo i got bite by Odin.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
yung_wallace B5
Newborn
Newborn

sooooo i got bite by Odin..... Empty
PostSubject: sooooo i got bite by Odin.....   sooooo i got bite by Odin..... EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 4:23 pm

soooo Odin have been chewing on my office chair and my bed legs when he is bored, so i figure why not go get him a bone right?
i went to pet co and got him one of those giant bone for like $16 and he loves it, when it was dinner time i was going to put the bone away, and as i was reaching down and i was going to pet him first, but without warning of any kind, he slapped and bite me, didn't drew any blood but i did have a tooth mark on my hand and it hurts like hell, now the bottom part of my thumb is twice the size as the other one, i don't know what the hell happened, he is fine with me taking away his food bowl and such..... i have dealt with German Shepard, Belgian Malinois and Doberman, and Odin wasn't my first husky either, and none of my dogs have ever bitten me...... and to be honest, i am kinda heart broken and i am not sure what to do
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: sooooo i got bite by Odin.....   sooooo i got bite by Odin..... EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 4:29 pm

He is protective over the bone, because it is important to him. You can prevent this from happening again, by practicing taking things away. Have a hot dog or some other kind of treat and offer it to him while he has the bone, when he takes the treat, take the bone away and give it back after a few seconds. He will eventually understand that you taking thing's away is not a bad thing and he will get it back.

Good luck with the finger and ice it. Lesson learned, don't take important thing's from untrained dogs Wink
Back to top Go down
yung_wallace B5
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: sooooo i got bite by Odin.....   sooooo i got bite by Odin..... EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 4:32 pm

i am not sure if i want stick my hand in there again haha, maybe i will put my hockey gear on first Shocked
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: sooooo i got bite by Odin.....   sooooo i got bite by Odin..... EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 4:39 pm

Hockey gear might be good. I tried to take a stick away from the lazy teething puppy the other day and she bit me. It hurt like hell! Although, she didn't do it on purpose. She was laying down and trying to chew on the stick and my fingers got in the way as I tried to take it. Lesson learned. Now I make her sit up. It would also help if she wasn't so stubborn. She knows drop it but she likes whatever she's got in her mouth more.

I have had success with the offering a treat to take the toy away. I've been playing Take it, Drop it just to get the general idea down. The only problem is now she'll only drop things when she knows I have something else to offer her.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: sooooo i got bite by Odin.....   sooooo i got bite by Odin..... EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 4:43 pm

Dog's can sense if you're afraid. Don't be, because that makes you weak and they won't want to listen to you. Our private trainer told me to do that with Hayden and she tells all of her clients to use that method and has had great success with it. Give it a try and if it works, great ... keep doing it so he learns. If not, then try a new method or seek advise from a trainer.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: sooooo i got bite by Odin.....   sooooo i got bite by Odin..... EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 5:18 pm

Awh, I'm sorry Yaz! Razz Interesting how he doesn't react when you take food away.

I would definitely put on the hockey gear. When I give Juneau a bully stick, bone, etc, I take it away from her for about a minute. I "pretend" to eat it, then give it back to her while she stares at me like I'm a crazy person. I praise her for sharing lol.

I would do this method with Odin. If he shares with you, praise him with another treat and etc. If he doesn't, scold him and firmly say, "NO". Then I'd keep the bone away for a while and repeat with the sharing.

Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: sooooo i got bite by Odin.....   sooooo i got bite by Odin..... EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 6:13 pm

When you give something to a dog - it's supposed to be a gift from you not something you really take away. The dog then learns that things that you give get taken away and they become protective so they don't lose things they like. Anything you give you have to actually give back otherwise something like this can get much worse.

Start off small with things that aren't of such high value. Food or food bowl - things you can take away from him without concern and praise/treat and steadily move up to things that are valuable. Keep the bone away from him/out of his reach for awhile until you get a grasp on the situation.

sooooo i got bite by Odin..... Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Kayjill
Newborn
Newborn
Kayjill

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: sooooo i got bite by Odin.....   sooooo i got bite by Odin..... EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 7:52 pm

Coby is doing this with us. He's not actually bitten one of us but even if you just walk past him he growls and if you do go near the bone he will quickly move his head as though he is going to bite you. It is quite scary, we have a distraction technique where we will walk and shout him so he leaves the bone that way one of us can remove it. We never give him one now incase he bites one of our children for going near him. He's clever though and knows where we hide them so sometimes he will just stroll in with a bone! Bloody clever huskies!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: sooooo i got bite by Odin.....   sooooo i got bite by Odin..... EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 9:13 pm

Teaching a solid drop it (with good rewards) is how to get a good drop it. Since bones are very high value I would play trading games (or asking for a drop while having an even tastier treat, we used fries in class) and play that for a few times until the dog will reliably drop without seeing what you have.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
yung_wallace B5
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: sooooo i got bite by Odin.....   sooooo i got bite by Odin..... EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 11:08 pm

time to get some chicken haha
Back to top Go down
yung_wallace B5
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: sooooo i got bite by Odin.....   sooooo i got bite by Odin..... EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 6:22 am

so did a little work with him this evening and even know he didnt really want to give it up, he did drop it and did not get mad, so for now, i am happy lol
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: sooooo i got bite by Odin.....   sooooo i got bite by Odin..... EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 6:28 am

Many dogs have no problem giving up food etc, but bones are a different story. My female greyhound was terrible at that, she would growl and snap if you tried to get her rawhide. In the end I stopped giving it to her because she would snap at you if you walked by her when she had it she had attitude lol. Tried unsuccessfully to teach her drop it, she would for anything else, just not bones.

Balon and Ruby are fine if you take them away, which makes it easier.
Back to top Go down
yung_wallace B5
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: sooooo i got bite by Odin.....   sooooo i got bite by Odin..... EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 6:34 am

yeah, my GSD have always do whatever i say so i wasn't thinking he would slap at me, kinda my fault lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: sooooo i got bite by Odin.....   sooooo i got bite by Odin..... Empty

Back to top Go down

sooooo i got bite by Odin.....

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1