It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Makes me Mad!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jasmineramsden
Puppy
Puppy
jasmineramsden

Female Join date : 2012-08-04

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 8:30 am

Hey guys,

Just a general rant over no leash. Since I have been walking my puppy I have had a lot of stick, and unwanted advice over not letting her off the leash. After my years of research on the breed I have made an informed decision NOT to let my husky off.

Whilst I have always known this would be the case and my family fully understand I am shocked by the amount of friends / other dog walkers who are strongly encouraging me to let her off and saying if I start young she will be fine.

How many of you guys let your huskies off the leash?

Its not as if I dont feel bad that she will always be on a lead (although I have extending leads so she can have a run / play on the grass with the others) but I am just trying to be responsible.

Any of you guys had stick for this?
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 8:50 am

Funny you say that, two days ago my girlfriend mother wanted me to let her off leash. I told her no, guess what she did? She went and ask my girlfriend. When they let Luna of leash she ran and I had to chase her. I freaked out and told them please don't ever to do that.

People seem to think they know what's best for Husky just their experience with other dog breeds Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 8:53 am

I have never let Saber off leash in his 13 years. He's also only gotten out of the yard once in his whole life. He didn't take off at a dead run and didn't even make it half a block when I screamed his name. He stopped and came trotting back to me. I was shocked to say the least!
While he might be fine off leash walking next to me, as soon as he saw another dog or squirrel he would take off after it. I just don't want to take that chance. Better to be safe than sorry!
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 9:04 am

SaberK wrote:
He didn't take off at a dead run and didn't even make it half a block when I screamed his name. He stopped and came trotting back to me.
affraid

I cant believe he stop, Luna will only stop if she's tired Mad

Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 9:17 am

I couldn't believe it either. But, he was also 6 years old at the time, no longer a puppy!
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 9:29 am

I get it from people all the time- especially my brother! He can take his "C'mon she'll be fine, she won't go anywhere" and shove it. I will never take that risk. You can have the best trained dog in the world, but if some critter passes thru all bets are off.
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 9:34 am

Kizmat wrote:
SaberK wrote:
He didn't take off at a dead run and didn't even make it half a block when I screamed his name. He stopped and came trotting back to me.
affraid

I cant believe he stop, Luna will only stop if she's tired Mad

I'm with that. Just a few days ago, I came home with my boys, parked my car right in front of the house. I have an SUV and I fold my backseat down so they will have a bigger space to sit in. Opened the boot, I let my Malamute, Lycan down the car first because he is always an off leash boy. Can even get him to come back when he is playing with other dogs. Titus, my husky will usually wait until I clip the leash on him. He knows he is not allowed out of the car without a leash even if the boot is open. So, we were walking to the house and I tripped, dropped the leash. Titus ran towards the house door. I was afraid that he will run away because there are cats in my area, I went after the leash. He thought I was playing with him and started running across the road to the neighbours. He wasn't running away but just checking each of the houses, probably looking for cats. I screamed but he wouldn't stop. Lycan tried to stop him but got ran over by Titus. Not surprising considering Titus is 68lbs, a lot faster and Lycan is only 58lbs and 4 1/2 months old. So both of us just followed Titus for a few houses. My partner heard me screaming and came out. We cornered him in a neighbour's house and he quietly walked towards me, licked me. I didn't scold him or anything. I only hugged him and praise him for coming to me because he wouldn't remember that running away is a no-no.
Maybe able to be off lead just depends on the dog. I know Titus can't be off lead not until he gets really old but I still believe that there are huskies out there that can be off lead.

Last edited by Titus&Lycan on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 9:39 am

Quote :
How many of you guys let your huskies off the leash?

Its not as if I dont feel bad that she will always be on a lead (although I have extending leads so she can have a run / play on the grass with the others) but I am just trying to be responsible.

Any of you guys had stick for this?

Ripley is always leashed.

Tika is allowed off leash.

I understand my pups... I know what they are going to do most of the time and We have spent a great deal of time training and testing Tika before we decided Off leash was even an option.... We got a Husky knowing it never was an option and we would never do it. Things changed, sh proved herself to us, and thus far she has been fine.

Ripley I can't trust off leash as far as I can throw her. She is always moving and has a very prominent prey drive. When she does take off running she doesn't look back...

Sounds harsh and I may be out of line not knowing the full extent of who exactly is saying this to you but if they are suggesting anything at all that you aren't comfortable with tell them no and move on.

I have so little time left in my life for random ignorant people, that their opnions on my pups behaviors just doesn't factor in anymore, and trust me we know your pain..... It happens all the time to us. We just tell them ;

"Ripley is our dog. We have decided what is best for her and WE know her limitations. I'm glad your rescue golden lab stays close to you, and you've had him for only 2 months, but I have a half deaf husky who has no recall at all and I know her much better then you do."

I then promptly walk off.

In the end it is your pup and you know their limitations, triggers, and behaviors. If you listen to every so called "Dog expert" out there you'll be turning in circles for years. Go with your instincts and you'll be fine.

Oh and don't worry.... The second you have an off leash Husky you will hear about how it should always be leashed right away anyways... Sitting there with Ripley leashed to me while at the dog park I've had people tell me what a nice husky she was. They then turned and said "At least you know you can never leave a Husky off leash, unlike the owners of that dog over there" pointing at Tika.

I tend not to mind the people who are at least informed on Huskies running off and not get annoyed when they call me out for having Tika off leash... But it is fun recalling her and telling those same people she is my dog.

A day at the dog park isn't complete unless some so called expert tells me I'm doing something wrong.

Either way like I said in the end it's your dog... You will always know what is best for them. Don't let ANYONE convince you otherwise.

My favorite rebuttal to everything lately is thus:

"I'm sorry, these are my dogs and I get to decide what is right an wrong for them at the moment. However, if you would like provide the 2 and a half hours of exercise they need a day I will take everything you say into consideration".

Most people get big eyes and change the subject to our exercise routine, which works for me because I would much rather talk about that.

~Chris~

Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 9:53 am

I definitely get what you mean Chris.

For Titus he is not even allowed being off lead in a fenced dog park, knowing that if he want to he can jump over the fence easily. I usually have a 10 metre leash on him for him to run. However when the park is full of dogs, he will be on a shorter lead as he has little recall and self control and a little too overprotective on Lycan that he goes ballistic when another dog charges at Lycan.
I will have people looking at me as if I'm torturing Titus and anti-socializing him. People always think I love Lycan more because he is allowed to run around where Titus could not. I just didn't think that the risk is worth what people think of.

Titus can only be off lead in a specific beach which is surrounded by cliff and there's only one way in and out.
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 10:33 am

I honestly don't think any dog should be off leash, you never know what will trigger them, If they are in a designated fenced in area its a different story, but just for a walk no, Iv seen to many dogs run from there owners, get into dog fights because neither owner had there dog leash, I just think it is safer for the dog to be leashed.
Not to mention In NYC there is a fine if your dog is off leash in an un-designated area.
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 10:58 am

I can't tell you how many times I've walked Saber and a loose dog has come running up to us because somebody thought it was a good idea to let their dog off leash (usually a kid with no parental supervision).
We also have leash laws but animal control here is a joke the few times I've had to deal with them.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 11:26 am

I only ever take Cal off leash in an enclosed area. I'm not sure if I'd even do that with a husky, but I completely agree that it's the owners say. You know your dog. I can take Callie out in the front yard without a leash and she's just fine but I would never trust her on a walk without a leash. Something in her switches when she's in walk mode and she becomes pretty hard of hearing. So even though she'll sit and watch if she sees a distraction in the front yard, I don't think she'd do the same on a walk.

As far as other people, there's a guy up the street who has an unsocialized min pin and I don't even think he owns a leash for him. The other day the dog was laying out front, not restrained by anything and the owner was nowhere in sight. I'm walking my dogs on leash- perfectly legal last time I checked- and this dog tries to attack mine! So while, yes, I believe some dogs can be let off lead, if it's a dog you know doesn't like others, that shouldn't be an option, especially if you're nowhere to be found.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 12:03 pm

Great advice Chris . I love it that we know our dogs and what is best for them.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 12:08 pm

I just don't understand people sometimes. If they're going to watch the dogs or help you out, they always ask you about your dog's behavior, what they like and don't like and all that because they know YOU know your dog better than anyone else. But if it's a different situation then it's the "why won't you let her off leash?" or lecturing you on how to raise your dog.
Back to top Go down
Piper
Puppy
Puppy
Piper

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 12:18 pm

I've gotten it a couple of times, mostly from family members. I have some huskies that can be off leash but the others? Heck no!
I've found that the same people who tell you to have your husky off leash are the same people to tell you that your husky should be on a leash if it's not.

You just can't win. Rolling Eyes

And I hate it when people think "Oh, I've owned a dog so I must know everything about everyone else's dog too..." Rolling Eyes
It's one of my pet peeves...
/end rant

Back to top Go down
http://www.smallmightyracing.weebly.com
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 12:47 pm

I used to get it from other people, but now my friends own huskies also and now know from their own personal experienced that they're not coming back lol!

Embry will not come back off leash. I've had to chase him for 3 hours before and finally tackle him...It was not fun.

Zoey has gotten out twice, she will only come back if I start shaking a bag of treats.

Ares is still a puppy and comes back no matter what, but I wouldn't ever let him off leash
Back to top Go down
sarumsey
Newborn
Newborn
sarumsey

Female Join date : 2012-09-04

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 1:11 pm

there's no way i would EVER let luka off a leash unless he was in an enclosed area. i'm not going to risk the safety of my dog. he is a husky after all. silly people.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 1:41 pm

The only times mine are off leash are in enclosed areas like our backyard or a dog park. Even the dog park isn't fool-proof as idiot people can (and have) left gates open.

Mine will not come back. They'll look over their shoulders and then start running faster... Makes me Mad!! 1625187496
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 2:03 pm

ha dakota has figured out if he pushes hard enough on the screen door it will pop open and he's off like a shot. The couple times it's happened the only reason we were able to catch him is he is super into kids and people and will stop to let strangers pet him (he only runs from us lol) now we have a new front door he can't pop open.
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 2:48 pm

I let Thane off leash when we are training for it. its usually done in areas with no to minimal distractions since he is young and has a short attention span.. He is getting pretty good at it but it is something that will take time and consistent practice to perfect.

If you start young its possible to do off leash but I suggest just doing what you feel is more safe and that you are comfortable with. After all you know your pup best Smile
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Demon&Dakota wrote:
They'll look over their shoulders and then start running faster... Makes me Mad!! 1625187496

Oh heck at least they look back at you. Adobo every time she has escaped has never hesitated or looked back. Totally useless for me to chase her, just drive around town looking for her and Beth setting near the phone waiting for a call.

Biko, I really think I could off leash him but nope not gonna happen.
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 9:25 pm

Our dog park is basically a hugeee lot with trees and forest and two big fields for the dogs to run in. None of it is completely and totally fenced in, if a dog wanted to run-they could. I have been bringing Cally there since she was a pup and letting her off leash. She will follow through the forest etc. and sometimes run ahead but she will always wait when she can't see us anymore. And I have seen quite a few huskies off leash at our park... but I also do believe that some huskies most definitely cannot be let of lead. Also, I watch Cally carefully and I would never let her off lead on a walk or something
Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

Female Join date : 2011-12-15

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 10:09 pm

Zoe can never be off leash, ever. She will run and run and not stop. I've had to tackle her once before too, definitely not a fun experience. Tasha can be off leash. She won't leave our yard. I would never walk her off leash though. She's allowed to run around in the yard to play because she comes on command and will stay with us, but that's it. Storm, I wouldn't even try it. I don't think she could get far because she barely gets around as it is, but I wouldn't want to take the chance since she's in a strange environment.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 8:04 am

I had two retired racing greyhounds (sighthounds have very strong prey drives) for over 10 years, they were never off leash except in my friends 1 acre completely fenced in yard,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Makes me Mad!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Makes me Mad!!   Makes me Mad!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Makes me Mad!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1