It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is Saya a mini Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

Is Saya a mini Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Is Saya a mini Husky?   Is Saya a mini Husky? EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 4:55 pm

Saya weighs 27 pounds at 5 months so her weight is fine I think, but she is not as tall as other huskies.She seems to be so much smaller.

https://imgur.com/7Gf2A
https://imgur.com/GZUti

These are her parents
https://imgur.com/ykkmu
I think her dad is a gorgeous husky.

Do you think saya is a mini husky considering her height at 5 months?
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Is Saya a mini Husky?   Is Saya a mini Husky? EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 5:32 pm

I don't know of any "mini husky breed" except Alaskan Klee Kai and they are really small. She just may be on the small side. Balon is about 49 lbs at 7 months but he's a male. She is only 5 months and has a lot of time left to grow. They come in all sizes!
Back to top Go down
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

PostSubject: Re: Is Saya a mini Husky?   Is Saya a mini Husky? EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 5:45 pm

Yeah I heard about the klee kai. I meant to say do you think she is on the short end of the scale or do you think her size is fine?
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Is Saya a mini Husky?   Is Saya a mini Husky? EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 5:53 pm

Melissa's Husky is a small one. Just like people you have big ones and smaller ones. In the long run she'll still drive you crazy.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Is Saya a mini Husky?   Is Saya a mini Husky? EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 8:15 pm

When you say not as tall as other huskies what other huskies are you comparing to? I ask because the majority of Sibes I meet are much larger than breed standard and make my boy look small even though he's close to the top of the breed standard but still within standard.

Saya sounds like a normal size for her age going off of her stated weight and photos. I am sure she's not done growing and breed standard for females is 35-50 lbs. Keep in mind sibes can keep filling out up to 3 years of age so my guess is she'll be normal.

Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

PostSubject: Re: Is Saya a mini Husky?   Is Saya a mini Husky? EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 9:25 pm

@ Val I saw this male husky that was like 7 months old I believe and he was literally looking down on saya. He was huge. I read somewhere that huskies get their first growth spurt at around 4 or 5 months. I mean I'm 5'7 She is up to my knees already to me she seems fine. But when I look at pictures of huskies online that are the same age as saya they all seem like giants. Also I keep looking at her dad there is something unique about him but I can't figure it out (facepalm)
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Is Saya a mini Husky?   Is Saya a mini Husky? EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 9:56 pm

Last year we ran into a husky puppy that was bigger than my 7 yr old who is just under the max for breed standard and the owner claimed the pup was 3 months old (not possible, but point is it was still a puppy and was looking down at my full grown adult).

Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

PostSubject: Re: Is Saya a mini Husky?   Is Saya a mini Husky? EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 10:02 pm

That is totally insane!!!! A puppy bigger than an adult geesh
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Is Saya a mini Husky?   Is Saya a mini Husky? EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 11:51 pm

She looks perfectly normal to me. I took my 5 month old into the vet 2 days ago and she is 34.4 lbs! I was shocked! I thought she was going to be tiny, because her parents are small, but she is filling out quite nicely. When they are puppies they go through all kind of growing stages, so I'm sure she will be just fine Smile
Back to top Go down
KareBear
Teenager
Teenager
KareBear

Female Join date : 2011-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Is Saya a mini Husky?   Is Saya a mini Husky? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 12:30 am

I always tend to question the size of huskies, too. So many of the adults on the site seem to be much larger than Aevyn and the other dogs I see at the dog park. (Or in some cases seem far too small, some of them look sick with their size. Sad) My vet however, assures us that Aevyn is the proper size - and he was about the same size as your girl at the same age.

So I wouldn't worry! Eventually you're going to wish she stopped getting so big (like when you wonder where all your feet space went on the bed. Hm.)
Back to top Go down
Onyx_Blitz
Teenager
Teenager
Onyx_Blitz

Male Join date : 2012-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Is Saya a mini Husky?   Is Saya a mini Husky? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 3:18 pm

They come in such a large variety of sizes. My boy is 61 lbs at 9 months hold, where is brother is about 50 lbs, and when we take him out people don't believe he is a puppy. My sisters boyfriend has a husky that is 4 years old and is only 50 lbs, but taller than my boy, and quicker, which makes it more fun. And my sister in law has a husky that is 60 ish lbs and on the shorter size of the standard. Her boyfriends parents have a husky that is about 55 lbs and is on the medium side of the standard. So I don't think you have anything to worry about. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Is Saya a mini Husky?   Is Saya a mini Husky? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 4:36 pm

That seems a normal weight to me. Huskies are not considered large breeds. Mals are bigger. You don't have to worry.
Back to top Go down
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

PostSubject: Re: Is Saya a mini Husky?   Is Saya a mini Husky? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 7:23 pm

Thanks for the replies everybody. I was just wondering since I see all these big and giant huskies outside and most of your huskies weigh a bit too. I thought she was just too small for her breed standard, although her vet said she was fine
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Is Saya a mini Husky?   Is Saya a mini Husky? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 10:11 pm

If I am remembering correctly, I think the breed standard minimum for females is 35 lbs. Based on her current weight, it seems like she should reach that weight or more. One of my girls is only 35 lbs at three years old. Most huskies I meet are on the larger size, but I have seen quite a few smaller ones as well.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Is Saya a mini Husky?   Is Saya a mini Husky? EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 12:04 am

She's perfectly fine. Cato is 38lbs at 8 months, and he is male. You will fit standard or maybe be a bit bigger.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
capblossoms
Teenager
Teenager
capblossoms

Female Join date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Is Saya a mini Husky?   Is Saya a mini Husky? EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 1:44 am

Dante weighs only 45 pounds at 15 months. I worried for the longest time that he wasn't big enough, but he is within breed standard and he certainly isn't starving. I, too, have seen a LOT of larger huskies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Saya a mini Husky?   Is Saya a mini Husky? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is Saya a mini Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1