It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Excited Wee?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jasmineramsden
Puppy
Puppy
jasmineramsden

Female Join date : 2012-08-04

Excited Wee? Empty
PostSubject: Excited Wee?   Excited Wee? EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 5:33 am

Hi Guys,

House training and crate training are going really well. However, one thing i just cannot afford is excited wees when new people enter the room!

any tips on this? she also does one first thing in the morning immediately as she sees me as i open her crate.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Excited Wee? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Excited Wee?   Excited Wee? EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 8:49 am

Willow does this. She was much worse as a puppy and is getting much better. The morning thing will pass with time. As willow got older she was able to hold her bladder until we got o the door. In the beginning, I would pick her up as soon as I woke and carry her to the door to prevent her from peeing the minute she realized I was awake. Smile. As for the excitement peeing with new people...the key is to teach them to stay calm. Willow is much better with this but we are still working on it. I've tried all the tricks to teach Willow that she doesn't get attention until she's calm, but she goes from 0 to 10 when someone is at the door and the only thing that works for me is to put her up before I answer the door. I put her in the breezeway that has an all glass door so she can still see the new person and I can see when she has calmed down to let her out. This works for me but I've been contemplating taking her to a trainer since I haven't been successful in teacher her calm myself. Some of the tricks you can try is have a couple people practice knocking on your door, come in and completely ignore her when she tries to get their attention. Have them turn their backs to her until she gives up. I would suggest taking her outside to pee before you start this exercise though. Another trick is to have her leashed and stand on that leash so she only has room to sit, not jump up, and thn have the people ignore her until she is calm. I know there are more suggestions, I just can't think of them at the moment. I'm sure others will pop in and help.
Back to top Go down
jasmineramsden
Puppy
Puppy
jasmineramsden

Excited Wee? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Excited Wee?   Excited Wee? EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 9:15 am

thanks very much I will all of these, willing to try anything!

she actually has been known to pee on people laps / legs if she is picked up and sometimes doesnt make it from being lifted from the crate to outside without a little one.

haha i will keep working on it thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Excited Wee? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Excited Wee?   Excited Wee? EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 9:55 pm

jasmineramsden wrote:
she actually has been known to pee on people laps / legs if she is picked up and sometimes doesnt make it from being lifted from the crate to outside without a little one.

haha i will keep working on it thanks Smile

I'm going to suggest something that will not be easy because everyone wants to cuddle with a puppy but it sounds like people should refrain from picking her up for now. If she is calm and people want to pet her, then I would suggest they squat down to her level and let her sniff them first and then calmly pet her. I assume she doesn't do this with you? Just new people that come around?
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Excited Wee? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Excited Wee?   Excited Wee? EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 10:13 pm

Here's some good links to check out...

http://suite101.com/article/excitement-urination-in-dogs-a71041

http://dogs.about.com/od/dogtraining/qt/submissiveurination_petmd.htm

http://www.webvet.com/main/2008/10/15/does-your-dog-pee-when-excited
Back to top Go down
jasmineramsden
Puppy
Puppy
jasmineramsden

Excited Wee? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Excited Wee?   Excited Wee? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 11:44 am

thanks thats really helpful just having a read now.

Its not just new people (although mainly it is) she will do it occasionally when i first come down in the morning to let her out of her crate. Her excitability is getting a bit worse as she gets older in general (she is 5 months now)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Excited Wee? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Excited Wee?   Excited Wee? Empty

Back to top Go down

Excited Wee?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1