It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Want to rescue a second husky but need advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RickyT
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2012-06-15

Want to rescue a second husky but need advice Empty
PostSubject: Want to rescue a second husky but need advice   Want to rescue a second husky but need advice EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 9:23 pm

I would like to but sometimes one husky is alot of work. I try to go running in the morning before work but there are days I don't want to get up that early and it sure would be nice to let two dogs tire each other out and be companionship for when I am at work.

Pros and cons of a second husky?
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Want to rescue a second husky but need advice   Want to rescue a second husky but need advice EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 9:41 pm

Pros they will tired each other out.
You may not need to run with both of them everyday.
they are good companions for each other.
they teach each other things both good and bad habits.

Cons. Your vet bills will increase
your food for dog food will increase.
you probably need to watch their play some before leaving them alone with each other.

I love having two huskies but we supervise their play all the time to insure they don't hurt each other.
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Want to rescue a second husky but need advice   Want to rescue a second husky but need advice EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 9:52 pm

It's a great idea I think. Having two is so much fun and they will definitely tire each other out, but will still need to be walked/ran on a regular basis.
With all things there are pros and cons, you just need to make sure you are ready to take on another one physically and financially. Our "rescue" that we just took in has cost us quite a bit in the last few weeks to get her up to par as far as health and grooming goes, way more than Snow has ever cost us, but its totally worth it in the end!!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Want to rescue a second husky but need advice   Want to rescue a second husky but need advice EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 10:04 pm

I had only one for 9 years and finally made that jump to adding another to the family and I'm glad I did. In my opinion, I really do think they are happier with a brother or sister in the home with them. I will probably never just have one again for this reason. As for you, one is easier and cheaper but the joy you get watching them play together is worth the extra work. Smile
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Want to rescue a second husky but need advice   Want to rescue a second husky but need advice EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 10:14 pm

Getting a second Husky was the best decision I've made! Smile
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Want to rescue a second husky but need advice   Want to rescue a second husky but need advice EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 9:09 am

I did it differently, I got a husky to tire out my lab lol! But it's the same thing, they are best buddies, they definitely tire each other out! It was a great decision for me!
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Want to rescue a second husky but need advice   Want to rescue a second husky but need advice EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 10:59 am

4 is lots of fun....

Seriously I recommend 2 if you have the finances, its has more pros than cons.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Want to rescue a second husky but need advice   Want to rescue a second husky but need advice EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 2:46 pm

Yep, a 2 (or 3...lol) husky house is much more fun! Smile I would never have just one again either!
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Want to rescue a second husky but need advice   Want to rescue a second husky but need advice EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 6:20 pm

I have two and bringing in the 2nd one really made life nice and easy. Cali was a super spoiled picky eating husky. I brought Mika in and with in a month she was mellowed out, not a picky eater, and very socialable to people. Cali was abused in her first home and was very "aggressive" to people and I got alot of compaints about her, but now when I take her around all i get is compliments from everyone. I recommend having more than one for sure. Good luck and can't wait to see pics, love pics of huskies!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Want to rescue a second husky but need advice   Want to rescue a second husky but need advice EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 7:57 pm

I like having two, cause they keep each other company. It's not that much harder than just having one IMO.

Cons: extra $, you have to bath and brush twice as many dogs! lol, one usually throws a fit if the other goes somewhere without them (which happens a lot here with me bringing my two to different training classes and shows).

Want to rescue a second husky but need advice Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Want to rescue a second husky but need advice   Want to rescue a second husky but need advice EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 9:53 pm

MelissaI wrote:
I would never have just one again!

Enough said right there for me.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Want to rescue a second husky but need advice   Want to rescue a second husky but need advice EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 11:33 pm

Two are so much fun! However, chosing the right dog can make your life much easier. A dog with a similar energy level will allow them to play and not get annoyed with each other. We chose our second dog based on how our first dog got along with her, but ending up with a much more high maintenance dog than we looked for with dog #1. Smile You definitely want to balance the two.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Want to rescue a second husky but need advice   Want to rescue a second husky but need advice Empty

Back to top Go down

Want to rescue a second husky but need advice

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1