It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Resource Guarding- Victoria Stilwell

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Resource Guarding- Victoria Stilwell Empty
PostSubject: Resource Guarding- Victoria Stilwell   Resource Guarding- Victoria Stilwell EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 11:55 am

A post from Victoria Stilwell via Facebook:

Quote :
I am responsible for the majority of posts on my fan page because it’s important to me that I connect with you all as much as possible and discuss important issues as well as giving you the latest info. Very occasionally if I am traveling, which I have been doing a lot of lately, my admin team puts out posts or puts up videos that I have done. Yesterday one of my new videos on teaching impulse control around a dog’s food bowl was posted and shared widely. The video itself is great, but the explanation that was given by my team was incorrect. This video illustrates impulse control and is NOT a way to train a dog that is already guarding his food! I teach impulse control like this to every puppy and adult dog to PREVENT resource guarding issues from ever happening and as a FINAL part of a teaching plan that I use for dogs that were once resource guarders.
Only when I have gone through a whole plan and the dog is NO LONGER guarding his food or food bowl, will I then teach him this valuable lesson in impulse control. The dog that has previously been resource guarding has to become confident around his food bowl before this impulse control training can be done. Remember, treating a resource guarder successfully is NOT about battling with your dog and trying to make your dog submissive towards you, as we all saw in the dreadful video that was posted a week or so ago showing a trainer putting a massive amount of stress and pressure on an already highly insecure resource guarding dog, that had no choice but to bite him.
Remember – EACH TIME A DOG BITES IT IS A FAILURE – not just for the trainer, but for the dog and every person that comes in contact with that dog from then on, because now, not only has trust been broken and an insecure dog made even more insecure by a trainer’s misunderstanding and attempt to make that dog submissive, but the biting behavior is more deeply ingrained and therefore more resistant to being changed. Treating resource guarding successfully is all about using NON CONFRONTATIONAL methods to teach a dog to be so confident with your presence around his bowl and food that he doesn’t feel the need to guard it any more.
I have successfully treated very dangerous resource guarders using positive methods – it is much safer and more effective. DOMINANCE TECHNIQUES ARE DANGEROUS AND SHOULD NOT BE USED ON ANY DOG FOR ANY REASON, ESPECIALLY WITH AGGRESSIVE ‘RED ZONE’ DOGS. Please share this explanation and video far and wide again so that everyone gets the right information. Many thanks.

Video in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ3Kbf0iDss

In short: Making feeding time a stressful situation for your dog is taking things in the OPPOSITE direction. Help your dog trust you and feel confident is the best way to address such issues. By forcing the dog to show certain behaviors or by punishing those behaviors we find unacceptable we are really only making it worse by creating a walking biting time bomb that WILL react, and their reaction will be far far worse when pushed enough.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Resource Guarding- Victoria Stilwell   Resource Guarding- Victoria Stilwell EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 2:44 pm

I wish there was a "like" option for this post.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Resource Guarding- Victoria Stilwell   Resource Guarding- Victoria Stilwell EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 3:51 pm

Megan, there is. You see the plus and minus signs in the top right of the post? They are the equivalent of 'like' and 'dislike' (there is a forum policy on using them in a sticky somewhere). If you click the plus sign, you make a green line appear Smile You can see that you have 26 treats, and this is how you got them Smile

(As for me, I seem to get minuses and pluses on the same posts, so they mostly cancel each other out).

Apologies if I misunderstood and you knew all this already, but I was on the forum ages before I realized.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Resource Guarding- Victoria Stilwell   Resource Guarding- Victoria Stilwell EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 3:53 pm

I like what Victoria Stilwell says about bites there. It's a complete contrast to the clip from that other trainer's show that was doing the rounds a couple of weeks ago.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Resource Guarding- Victoria Stilwell   Resource Guarding- Victoria Stilwell EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 8:25 am

This will be a great thread to send newbies to when they post food issues! Much easier having them watch a video vs trying to explain it. I have my dogs practice this behavior at meal time and it really does help! I thought it was funny she kept saying "uh oh" every time the dog tried to go for the food to soon. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Resource Guarding- Victoria Stilwell   Resource Guarding- Victoria Stilwell EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 11:33 am

I am just commenting on this so I can find it when I get home from work and watch the youtube video.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Resource Guarding- Victoria Stilwell   Resource Guarding- Victoria Stilwell Empty

Back to top Go down

Resource Guarding- Victoria Stilwell

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1