It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( Empty
PostSubject: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 10:42 pm

And.... she did it twice!!! Luckily, she just went into the neighbor's yard. All of our adjacent neighbors yards are all fenced so if she gets out, it takes more effort to clear another one.

The second time that she did it, she did it right in front of me and I was amazed at how quickly and easily she cleard it.

Now investigating options. We are only allowed split rail fences in our neighborhood, max, 3 rails high.

What do you think, double up with an invisible fence???
Back to top Go down
Buddywoof
Newborn
Newborn
Buddywoof

Male Join date : 2012-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 11:24 pm

how high is your fence? :-)
Back to top Go down
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 11:42 pm

Not sure, I'd have to measure it. Less than 6' for sure. The side that she hopped is slightly lower than the other three sides, but seeing how easily she jumped it, I am sure that she can jump all 4 sides. I can not go higher... not allowed. I have to find different methods. Making it live won't work, children all around.

It is just like this: http://www.fencesupplyonline.com/wooden-fence-splitrail.html

I was just hoping that she would not be one that tries to escape. My daughter was out the first time that she hopped the fence, she said that she thought that Neeka was chasing the neighbor's cat.
Back to top Go down
Buddywoof
Newborn
Newborn
Buddywoof

Male Join date : 2012-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 11:56 pm

yup thats going to be a problem. My Buddy used to jump d fence often. last month he got hit by a jeep after escaping. Thank goodness he survived. After that i had d fences extended higher. Not sure how to solve your peoblem though. Invisible fence....
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 8:49 am

Did she clear the fence or did she get her front paws on the top rail and go over?
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 11:07 am

I would consider an invisible fence set up just b4 your normal fence so she gets the alarm just as she places her paws on the fence. I take it you are in a housing development with a home owners association that has rules to fencing and all that? wonderful. Well best of luck to you
Back to top Go down
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 1:00 pm

She did have to use her paws once or twice, but it was virtually effortless.

Yes, we live in a housing development with restrictions grrr, crazy lady is the president.

Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 3:01 pm

i know HOA's have good intentions and are trying to keep neighborhoods in good repair and looking pretty but somtimes they can be a royal pita. I would def look into the invisible fence idea, i think that may be your only recorse.... although you could always try submitting a request for varience on the height of the fence. Perhaps if you explain to the powers that be that you want to ensure the safty of your dog and that can be achieved by adding x more height to your fencing..... I hope you can get somthing figured out. I know nothing is more frusterating than a huskybutt who's gotten free and knows it Smile
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 5:57 pm

I was going to say try coyote rollers but if she is sailing over that would not help. Our yard looks like a fortress! Guess you'll have to try the underground fence. I know that they have wireless fences at the store too. Good luck!!
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 6:11 pm

I thought Coyote bars also sarah, but i get there is a rule on the fencing for that or at least if she did they would make a rule against it and make them take it down. Good idea though
Back to top Go down
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 10:12 pm

What is a Coyote bar? I am supposed to get approval before erecting a fence, mine is already there. There is no rule on modifications, lol.

I am not sure that pleading my case would work. I already break restrictions by having Neeka. She is our third dog. Restrictions say we can only have two Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 10:41 pm

I definitely suggest the invisible fence.

I don't know how your HOA is in Ohio, but my HOA in TX is reasonable. You can call/email/write a letter to the president about any inquiries (I would definitely hide your third dog if they came to visit your home lol Twisted Evil) about your fence. Ours will let us replace the fence as long as they're the same color as the neighbors. Then again we have 6' privacy fences...

My old house had an invisible fence with our dogs. He eventually figured out where his limit was, waited until the battery was dead, then bolted. lol I'm hoping they have fixed that by now. He was a pretty smart dog.

I hope you can get it figured out! That would be scary. If it was me, I'd contact the HOA and ask if I could install a 6' privacy fence.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 11:08 pm

We "inherited" a fence like that when we bought our house. Did you attach welded wire fencing to the split rails? We did, if not our boy would have crawled right through the rails. With the attached wire, it is 4-foot tall. Sabaka has not jumped it yet but he's really not much of a jumper. He actually looks rather awkward when jumping...even onto a bed or something... poor boy.
Back to top Go down
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 9:37 am

Yes, there is welded wire on the fence. Your fence sounds about like ours. I was hoping for a husky like Sabaka!!!!!!

For now, I just be sure to go outside with her. If she jumps on 3 sides or the two corners, she is still contained since all adjacent neighbors are all fenced and have dogs. I am mostly worried about the front two portions. If she got over those, then she would be free. I may start trying to husky proof them first then the section that she did jump and gradually work my way around the yard.

OMG... The crazy lady president would lose her mind over a privacy fence!!!! LOL. It is second to sheds.

I did google the coyote rollers. I may just have to try it. The DIY ones look goofy, but there is nothing in the restrictions against them. And I am not constructing a new fence, so really, I don't need permission.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 10:12 am

Man I hate dealing with fence jumpers! There's a GSD mix at the doggie day care I work at and he can clear a 6' fence in seconds and will at any chance. We have to walk him on a leash which is a pain and he doesn't get along with other dogs! Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, I would try an invisible fence too. That's what my mom did for her fence jumpers. It beeps a few feet away from the real fence and will stock when the dog gets too close.

I was thinking you could use a hotwire too, but if she jumps and hits it without touching anything else, then it wouldn't actually shock her. She'd have to be grounded.

Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 11:21 am

She does touch the fence while jumping. However, I am afraid of making it live since I have children and so do 4 of the 5 adjacent yards. I don't think that it would be such a good idea.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 2:08 pm

Haha! Kids learn fast! We had hot wires up when I was young cause we had horses and I only touched it a few times. A little boy did grab the wire once at a party and it made him cry, but nothing too bad. We would try to jump up and touch the wire while we were in the air. You know stupid kid stuff. lol.

But the invisible fence will probably be the best option. Make sure to get the long prongs on the collar, so they can reach through all the husky hair. The standard short ones really aren't long enough to go through thick husky hair and if they try and shock the dog, the husky won't even feel it unless they're touching skin.

Back to top Go down
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 2:14 pm

I may just look into the invisible fence thing.

Any experience with the DIY vs the expensive full service route?
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 5:04 pm

If you make a diy coyote roller out of PVC pipe, you can paint it. I would look at the installation instructions for a DIY invisible fence online. Digging the trench might be the hardest part and you might be able to rent something at a Home Depot type place. At the lowest parts of our wood privacy fence, I have some decorative trellises that act as a fence inside a fence but it sounds like you have a lot of ground to cover.
Back to top Go down
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 5:20 pm

I would say that 400 feet would safely cover it. The rear width is 78 ft. 2 sides are conservatively estimated at 100 each (entire depth of the lot is 150 including the front yard). Then that leaves the two little front portions where the gates are.

How deep does the trench have to be. The ground is clay. PIA to dig in!!!!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 5:33 pm

i would do the hotwire fence, kids and neeka will learn real fast, check with the neighbors first to see if they would be ok with it even if its on your side. if no, go with the roller and the electric fence. i would rather be safe then sorry if she does get out on a side with no other fences. sorry you got a jumper, we have solid 6' high fences and one side that is 5' S&J have not tried jumping it but they can clear my 3' chicken wire fence with out even running!

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 8:14 pm

taveraw wrote:
I would say that 400 feet would safely cover it. The rear width is 78 ft. 2 sides are conservatively estimated at 100 each (entire depth of the lot is 150 including the front yard). Then that leaves the two little front portions where the gates are.

How deep does the trench have to be. The ground is clay. PIA to dig in!!!!

My parents were lazy and a lot of their wire is just in PVC (some not even in PVC) on top of the ground! But I would dig it down a little to make mowing easier.

Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 9:59 pm

http://reviews.petco.com/3554/6533/petsafe-petsafe-wireless-instant-fence-pet-containment-system-reviews/reviews.htm

Would something like this work to save from digging trenches in the yard?
My parents used it for their basset hounds and it seemed to work well for them.
Back to top Go down
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 11:17 pm

I looked at that at the store today. In theory it was what I wanted!!!! But then I thought about it, our yard is 80' wide roughly, so she'd get a 40'radius for the width of the yard. But the depth would also be 40', less than 1/2 the yard would be useable to her, mostly of which is the patio Sad

I am thinking the Petsafe Stubborn Dog system.
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 11:31 pm

What about landscaping? My wife has friends that have rose of Sharon that double as a privacy fence.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(   Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :( Empty

Back to top Go down

Neeka jumped the fence today for the first time :(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next