It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Using Name to Get Attention

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ksutton
Puppy
Puppy
ksutton

Male Join date : 2012-10-15

Using Name to Get Attention Empty
PostSubject: Using Name to Get Attention   Using Name to Get Attention EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 2:23 am

Any suggestions on the best way to get Kodi to learn hearing his name being called is my way to get his attention?

I've been using clicker training (basics) for the past two weeks. I use his name in all commands ("Kodi, come", "Kodi, sit", "Kodi, down") and have been consistently using it when he is going to the bathroom outside ("Kodi, go potty"). I also try to lure him to eat each meal with "Kodi, come" coupled with the 'kissie noise' (I think that's the technical term). Laughing I also use it occasionally when I'm loading-the-clicker: after several click, reward, click, reward... I will call "Kodi", when he looks I click & reward.

When I somewhat have his attention (play, training, etc.), he does a decent job looking to see what I want. But if he's laying down, walking around, or chasing the cat... it's almost like he doesn't even hear me call his name.

I know this will take time, so please don't think I have unreasonable expectations. I'm open to any suggestions if you guys/gals have any ideas on what I can improve on (myself).

With decent weather, I am hoping to spend significant time outside this weekend working on his recall -- using a 30ft lead. He's finally getting used to the leash! Hopefully this will get him to enjoy going for short walks rather than "short drags" (as I joke with my wife).

TIA!!!
Back to top Go down
http://about.me/kevinsutton
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Using Name to Get Attention   Using Name to Get Attention EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 2:53 am

I still can't get my male to listen all the time - he has selective hearing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Using Name to Get Attention   Using Name to Get Attention EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 4:56 am

i'd say just constantly call him randomly throughout the day if he looks up click and give him a treat. eventually he will start looking whenever he hears his name b/c he will assume you have somthing yummy for him. it's what we did with Dakota and when we are in the house he always at least looks over to see if there is somthing in it for him to bother coming over lol
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Using Name to Get Attention   Using Name to Get Attention EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 10:08 am

I didn't bother with clicker training. I didn't really do anything special to get Callie to answer to her name either. She just kind of learned that "Callie, Cals, Cal Cals," etc etc all mean I want her attention. When I was reading up before I got her, I read that dogs tend to really only listen to the first syllable of their name, so I didn't worry that my many nicknames would confuse her. She's at the point now where she just knows when i'm talking to her. "Baby girl" "punk". She answers to those too. But she doesn't answer to the other dog's names or nicknames. (We've got Pooka/Pooky/Pook/Pookita/Pookachu/list goes on and Hercules/Herc/Hercafleas/Fleabag. He's never had fleas but I just call him that for no reason but he gets so excited because it means attention)

Quote :
When I somewhat have his attention (play, training, etc.), he does a decent job looking to see what I want. But if he's laying down, walking around, or chasing the cat... it's almost like he doesn't even hear me call his name.
This is a lovely case of selective hearing. Eventually he'll learn that it's better to answer you than to go after the cat. Just make sure when he's distracted like this, if you say his name and he even slightly acknowledges you, praise like crazy and give him treats he loves and doesn't normally get. Soon he'll start completely acknowledging you and judging whether he thinks whatever you have for him is worth giving up on whatever he was doing first. Try to call his name as soon as you notice the cat enter the room or something along those lines and interrupt the action before it can begin. I've worked on that with Cal and now she's at the point where if she sees a squirrel or a cat and wants to chase it, she knows she has to sit and watch it instead. Unless we're in the backyard, she doesn't get released to chase squirrels. We're still working on her ability to answer to her name at the dog park.
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Using Name to Get Attention   Using Name to Get Attention EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 11:12 am

Just curious . . . Do you want Kodi to come when you call his name or just look? Saphire has look down pat but come is a different story. I used treats and got her to look. She only come's when she thinks there is something in it for her. I've found that acting like I don't want her near me is the best way to make her come. If I do this she will be right in my lap or under my feet every time. I swear she just does it to annoy me. Anyway, the point is that if come is your goal then its not just about teaching Kodi his name but teaching him that come means there is something good in store for him (i.e. a treat, extra loves, etc.). Hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
ksutton
Puppy
Puppy
ksutton

Male Join date : 2012-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Using Name to Get Attention   Using Name to Get Attention EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 12:01 pm

All great advice, thanks!

Dena, my intention is that he will look at me for the next command when I call his name. As an example, I can usually tell when he is starting to sniff around and ready to go to the bathroom. I'll call his name and grab the leash hoping to catch his attention long enough to distract from the sniff & squat. Overall, it is working fairly well, but I have to watch him like a hawk when it's "time." The concern here is that I can currently pick him up if I need to grab the leash. But in a few weeks/months, picking up will be less of an option.

I just figure I need to make sure he gives me his attention as we progress on the training. I would like for commands to be more of "Kodi, down" rather than the current "Kodi, Kodi, Kodi, hey, hey you, Kodi, ...." bounce I will definitely try rewarding highly for look, especially around distractions. I'm currently only using treats during housebreaking and training sessions, but will try to incorporate them at random throughout the day.

Thanks everyone!!!
Back to top Go down
http://about.me/kevinsutton
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Using Name to Get Attention   Using Name to Get Attention EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 12:23 pm

We have taught "Look at me" for those times when ours if off in ADD World (i.e. focusing on the cat or happily digging in the mud...). After a while, they will begin looking at you when you say their name. Sabaka knows that after, "Sabaka....Sabaka....Sabaka, look at me...." he had better start paying attention. I do believe that if you can get them to look, they will obey the "come" command better. We use it at other times when he is out of control as well. On walks, when he's begging for more treats, etc...
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Using Name to Get Attention   Using Name to Get Attention EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 4:08 pm

I am starting to seriously doubt that Nanook even knows his name, even though it's the name he came with. He will respond to just about any sound from my mouth if he's feeling inclined to respond and to absolutely nothing if he isn't.
With respect to training, I've always used "watch me" before giving a command. For me it was a habit I developed a long time ago when I was doing dog shows and using a dog's name in the ring wasn't allowed. (I have no idea what the rules are these days) Since becomming a mom to humans, I catch myself doing the same thing to them. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Using Name to Get Attention   Using Name to Get Attention EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 4:31 pm

there is nothing wrong with using the same methods on your kids as you do your husky.

Kids and huskies have alot in common.

Selective hearing
Destroying the house in under 2 min
not coming when you call them
begging for treats
the need to be the center of attention... especially when i'm on the phone
Stealing cookies off the counter

need i go on?
lol
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Using Name to Get Attention   Using Name to Get Attention EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 4:38 pm

LOL. Crystal, you are absolutely right!
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Using Name to Get Attention   Using Name to Get Attention EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 9:52 pm

Well said, Crystal!! lol!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Using Name to Get Attention   Using Name to Get Attention EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 1:13 am

ramoscl wrote:
i'd say just constantly call him randomly throughout the day if he looks up click and give him a treat. eventually he will start looking whenever he hears his name b/c he will assume you have somthing yummy for him. it's what we did with Dakota and when we are in the house he always at least looks over to see if there is somthing in it for him to bother coming over lol

He listens for food and he does everything in the show ring - for food. I don't use clickers, but only because the sound annoys me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using Name to Get Attention   Using Name to Get Attention Empty

Back to top Go down

Using Name to Get Attention

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1