It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Siberian Husky Genetics

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Siberian Husky Genetics Empty
PostSubject: Siberian Husky Genetics   Siberian Husky Genetics EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 2:28 pm

I don't remember this conversation coming up before, but if so, can someone find the link and I'll delete this or lock and redirect?

I had a conversation with someone in the bar (I'm a bartender part-time) and he was claiming that Siberian Huskies are genetically the closest to wolves than any other breed. Now, I know that's not true, but I also know that they are on the "Ancient Breed" list with about 13 other breeds who have DNA strands most closely resembling the grey wolf. So... I didn't really know how to refute the person's statement.

We ended up discussing it, but I was definitely not able to articulate myself well and in a search right now, I can't seem to find the information that I'm looking for, so I'd like some help. Does anyone have articles discussing this?

Where he was getting me was that I said huskies looked "wolfish" because they were bred in isolation for so long. He claims that because of that, they are genetically closer to wolves. I couldn't refute that.

Am I wrong? What's the proper scientific argument here?

Siberian Husky Genetics Hailey10
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Genetics   Siberian Husky Genetics EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 2:47 pm

I'm not sure if this helps you or not. It's not really an article but a chart:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/02/build-a-dog/dog-families-graphic
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Genetics   Siberian Husky Genetics EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 2:52 pm

http://www.wayeh.com/aboutsleddogs/wolves.htm

Here's something I think might help. You're right. The scientific argument would just be how and where the breeds were developed over time. It took hundreds of years to get the differences in appearances in today's dogs. It was all due to selective breeding really. Joe wanted a dog that would fetch things for him so he took two wolves that chased more than others and made pups. Then he moved to a warmer climate where they didn't need thick double coats so as the generations passed, Joe's dogs developed a different coat, (shorter and thinner). Sally wanted a dog to pull her stuff so she took two wolves that were strong and made pups. She stayed in the colder, northern climate. Sally's dogs didn't need to adapt to knew conditions so even after several hundred generations, they kept generally the same appearance as their ancestors. Etc, etc. (Assuming you know this but for future reference of others who might not).

A good way to show someone how breeding plays a role would be to bring up some stuff on Pomeranians. They used to be a lot bigger than they are today. But people wanted them smaller so now if we want to be technical, today's Pomeranians aren't even the same breed of dog as they once were.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Genetics   Siberian Husky Genetics EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 3:47 pm

The above post is an excellent one (check out that link too!). Definitely check out Robert Wayne's (UCLA) research. He uses DNA sequencing to work out the relationships within the Canidae family and provides evidence that huskies are no more related to a wolf than a chihuahua.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Genetics   Siberian Husky Genetics EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Here's another great read.

http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/99jul/9907dogs2.htm

Mitochondrial DNA is a much more accurate representation of ancestry as it is the DNA just passed down by the mother unlike regular DNA which is a mix of both parents and therefore "diverged" at a much faster rate.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Genetics   Siberian Husky Genetics EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 8:25 pm

I think I was part of that original conversation. Somewhere in my house I have a book that says that the Siberian Husky is indeed one the of the breeds that remain the least removed from their wild ancestors. Some of the reasons I remember (I'll try to find the book when I have a minute - I believe it was a training book.): The husky has kept the ability to raise its hackles, many huskies have a dark patch of fur at the top base of their tail indicating the location of a gland in wild dogs, also the inability to digest many grains efficiently. I know there were more characteristics in this list, even though the appearance of the husky was not one of the reasons. As a matter of fact, there was a very non-wolf looking dog high in this list as well as I remember, simply because that breed also exhibits many of these wild dog traits.
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Genetics   Siberian Husky Genetics EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 10:06 pm

Believe it or not Shih Tzu are more related to wolves than any other breeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erZOOhG99yI
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Genetics   Siberian Husky Genetics EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 10:21 pm

Many other breeds not any other. As Beth posted the shiba inu leads that distinction. Heres another link on their ancestral origin.

http://www.terrificpets.com/articles/1028465.asp
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Genetics   Siberian Husky Genetics EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:02 am

Kizmat wrote:
Believe it or not Shih Tzu are more related to wolves than any other breeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erZOOhG99yI

The Siberian Husky episode of Dogs 101 on Animal Planet stated the husky was closely related to the Shih Tzu which surprised me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky Genetics   Siberian Husky Genetics Empty

Back to top Go down

Siberian Husky Genetics

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1