It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

TRYING to adopt a red Husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

TRYING to adopt a red Husky Empty
PostSubject: TRYING to adopt a red Husky   TRYING to adopt a red Husky EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Friday, I was looking at my local animal shelter and came across a BEAUTIFUL red 11 month old Husky names Achilles. I called the shelter and they informed me of his background (he's already been in 2 shelters and multiple homes). The previous owners surrendered him, because he was too much puppy for their small Pug.

My boyfriend want's to adopt him, so we go to the shelter yesterday and filled out the adoption application. They informed us that he was pulled from the adoption floor, because he was being "too aggressive". I asked them how he was being aggressive and they told me, because he didn't want to go back into his cage. The girl said the dog isn't aggressive, he's just doing really poor in the shelter as most Huskies do. She read over our application and immediately approved us and told us to call back tomorrow (today) to see if he was available to be viewed.

I just got off the phone with the shelter and spoke with a different lady. She told me we couldn't come visit with Achilles, because he tried to bite two staff members this morning (not wanting to be put back into his kennel). The lady then informed me that they are going to more than likely send Achilles to a rescue, so they can get him into a foster home, so they can adopt him out.

I'm like WTF we are trying to adopt him and get him out of his current situation so he CAN do better in a forever home! Why stress him out more and confuse this poor puppy more than he already is? I asked if he was being properly exercised, maybe that could be the reason for his behavior and she couldn't give me a straight answer, she just kept saying she couldn't put her staff or the public at risk. I completely understand what she's saying, but it's not his fault that he's acting the way that he is.

Yesterday, the staff was all excited we have Huskies and Husky experience and today this new lady is like "well having Huskies isn't probably the best thing for him". Such BS! They won't even tell me what Husky rescue they would be sending him to so we could apply for him through them. We probably wouldn't even get approved, because my BF lives in MD and VA rescues like to stick to locals and he's too far away. I'm calling back Tuesday to speak to the adoptions manager, but the lady I spoke with today said more than likely the shelter will send him to a rescue. Sad

TRYING to adopt a red Husky 578_162187740592749_1708244738_n
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: TRYING to adopt a red Husky   TRYING to adopt a red Husky EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 4:14 pm

I would try contacting rescues that work with that shelter and explain the situation. Most are willing to pull a dog if they have a home that's waiting.

I would also go down in person tomorrow and insist on speaking with someone. Say you'll sign a waiver.. whatever.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: TRYING to adopt a red Husky   TRYING to adopt a red Husky EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 6:22 pm

If they haven't found a rescue to take him yet, I"d contact your closest rescue be it a husky rescue or an all breed rescue and explain the situation. Say you will foster him and then adopt him.

TRYING to adopt a red Husky Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: TRYING to adopt a red Husky   TRYING to adopt a red Husky EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 7:15 pm

The adoption manager isn't in until Tuesday. The lady I spoke with on the phone earlier was the 2nd highest person in charge. I even called the shelter back a second time and apologized to the girl if I may have seemed a little persistent or rude (trying to earn brownie points even though I was being super nice to her). She was a lot nicer this time and said she's sorry she can't do more for us at this time, but it's the adoption manager's decision as to what will happen to the dog. The lady really kind of pissed me off saying "you haven't even met this dog yet, how do you even know you want it"? She said it in a way like she was sorta weirded out by that, but I'm thinking I've bought dog's in the past before seeing them in person. How the other staff has described Achilles is a typical scared Husky puppy, which I have experience with. It took me month's to get Hayden out of his shell and now he's awesome and I know I can do the same for this guy.

She also slipped and told me they are only letting him out of his kennel twice a day. That is crazy! No wonder the poor guy is acting the way that he is. He's full of puppy energy, confused as to why he is there, he needs to potty more, needs training, surrounded by other barking dogs, and they wonder why he's acting out.

I just don't understand why they want him to go to a rescue so badly when they have a home for him already. The rescue could be helping another Husky in need, instead they are putting another one of their hands. I just don't get it ...
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: TRYING to adopt a red Husky   TRYING to adopt a red Husky EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 8:18 pm

I think it's all about liability. I know most shelters will not adopt out "biters" to people unless they are a rescue. Just a way that the shelter doesn't get blamed for the dog later biting someone. I would hope the shelter would be more helpful to you and at least let you know what rescue is taking the dog.

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: TRYING to adopt a red Husky   TRYING to adopt a red Husky EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 8:23 pm

Poor dog - a husky can't deal with that kind of crap... If my 10 month old male was in a crate and only let out twice a day I'm sure he'd be an asshole
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: TRYING to adopt a red Husky   TRYING to adopt a red Husky EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 11:29 pm

Sara, that does make since. It just really sucks though! Even if the shelter did tell us which rescue he would be going to, I highly doubt we would be approved, because we do have cats and the distance my boyfriend lives from the local rescues. I hope that he starts behaving himself the next few days and shows improvement and the manager will allow us to adopt him without going through the rescue. Guess I'm just going to have to keep my fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: TRYING to adopt a red Husky   TRYING to adopt a red Husky EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 11:37 pm

Keep bugging them. You might be able to get them to break! Wink

Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: TRYING to adopt a red Husky   TRYING to adopt a red Husky EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 11:50 pm

Lol always a possibility
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: TRYING to adopt a red Husky   TRYING to adopt a red Husky EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 2:10 am

Sometimes I feel like Virginia shelters and rescues are living in the dark ages.... I don't think there is a single VA husky rescue that would approve me to adopt. I wonder if I could even do better at a shelter. I think I got put on the "black list" once for taking in a nasty cat who showed up on my porch (one cat rescue when I am highly allergic is all I can do!).

Good luck Kelly!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: TRYING to adopt a red Husky   TRYING to adopt a red Husky EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 11:45 am

I know!!! I've talked to several people who have adopted huskies from VA rescues and they said it was almost impossible! Easier to get a top secret security clearance than to get approved by these people. I see their concern with wanting good homes, but they are also making people not want to go through them and just go out and get a puppy ... It sucks, because I know we won't get approved if they send him to a rescue. Sad
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: TRYING to adopt a red Husky   TRYING to adopt a red Husky EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 12:06 pm

Aww I hope you get him! He's beautiful and deserves a wonderful home! Best of luck!
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: TRYING to adopt a red Husky   TRYING to adopt a red Husky EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 12:39 pm

It's a liability issue for the shelter. If he has attempted to bite they will want him to goto rescue so they can screen for a proper home. As sad as it may be most shelters of any size never let dogs out of their kennel unless volunteers are available to walk them. They just don't have the resources to do so.

Like others have said contact the nearest husky rescue and explain the situation and see if they can pull the dog for you. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: TRYING to adopt a red Husky   TRYING to adopt a red Husky EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 6:20 pm

I too think a change needs to made in the "interview department" of rescues, mostly because I have been turned down as "not a good match" for a rescue dog. The people running shelters are doing a wonderful needed service but selection of "fit adopters" is ruling out people who would make a good home for a lucky dog. I'm not mad, but sad, rescue dogs I looked at before finding Maya are still waiting for a forever home. I'm not sure how to do it, but there has to be a better way of getting good people together with dogs and having the rescue people at ease that a loving home has been found. Both sides want the same thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TRYING to adopt a red Husky   TRYING to adopt a red Husky Empty

Back to top Go down

TRYING to adopt a red Husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1