It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

show dog questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
zizzuki
Puppy
Puppy
zizzuki

Female Join date : 2012-11-28

show dog questions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 3:42 am

Husky mum wrote:
I'm interested in showing as well. Milla is on full papers and I'm trying to decide whether I want to show or not, otherwise I will be getting her desexed at 5mths. How do you know if you have a "show worthy" dog, I'm not sure if its any different in Australia than US or not?

Lol ive had my fair share of negative comments on my girl. And i've also received nothing but good comments on her.
She came from a breeder in Oklahoma, who bred companions as well as show dogs.
From what ive learned, NO ONE can tell you whether your dog is good enough or not.
The only sure way to find out is to give it a shot and see the results.
Ive only done one show, and it was UKC (gonna slowly work into akc lol its a lot more strict!) but zizzy did wonderful and the judges had such great things to say about her despite her coat not being in AT ALL!
a lot of people think huskies have to have a huge fluffy coat for show, but they dont. Wink

here are pictures from our show. she had just turned 6 months.

show dog questions - Page 2 Zizzys10

show dog questions - Page 2 Zizzys13

and here's the best pic ive gotten of her stacking. as you can see, her coats come in a lot more. and its only gotten better since (i took this over the summer) i took more stacking photos today, but i cant upload them because i dont have a USB lol. ill have to wait til i go to my friends to use hers.

show dog questions - Page 2 Zizzyy10

also, ive been told she wont get anywhere cause of her bald face. another BS comment hahaha.
youll learn that most people in the show world are just competitive a**holes.
people will say negative, rude things. but you cant let it get to ya.
no matter what, your dogs the best in your eyes. so no one elses opinions can matter. Very Happy

so i say any of you should go for it. NOT TO BREED. but to show lol. see how you like it. your pup may surprise ya. Smile

Back to top Go down
zizzuki
Puppy
Puppy
zizzuki

PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 3:45 am

Also, I trained my yuki for cgc myself. And im currently working with zizzy on it. Smile Im certified in dog training and am trying to make a career out of it.
I'd say definitely get your pups cgc certified, and take them to classes if needed!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 4:36 am

It's nice to see more people interested in exhibiting on the forum! Very Happy

show dog questions - Page 2 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 7:32 am

It's so true about their coat! I got Ares neutered because his confirmation teacher told us he'd never get a fill coat. He's almost a year old now and he filled out so nicely and his coat came in great.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 12:05 pm

Is it okay to give.opinions about dogs and their conformation? I cam post a few stacked.pics and we can have at it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 12:25 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Is it okay to give.opinions about dogs and their conformation? I cam post a few stacked.pics and we can have at it.

Unless people genuinely don't care what others have to say in terms of their dog that would probably be best done in private or maybe when everyone could get together in the chat and discuss not only our own dogs but other dogs who are supposed to be "shining examples of our breed". A learning exercise as it were.

That would interest me - as I would love to hear how others interpret the standard and what they see as faults in other dogs in regards to the standard and also what preferences others have since the standard is universally open ended to allow for interpretation.

Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 12:33 pm

Niraya wrote:
mheath0429 wrote:

Unless people genuinely don't care what others have to say in terms of their dog that would probably be best done in private or maybe when everyone could get together in the chat and discuss not only our own dogs but other dogs who are supposed to be "shining examples of our breed". A learning exercise as it were.

That would intrigue me - as I would love to hear how others interpret the standard and what they see as faults in other dogs in regards to the standard and also what preferences others have.

Private might be a better forum for it yes, don't want anyone to feel slighted.

If you wanted to do it in posts however I see no reason why you couldn't. New thread, and it goes without saying but keep it as civil and polite as you can. I think we all understand the love and devotion we have to our own dogs and hurt feelings are easy come by when nit picking little things that tend to factor in on a BoB discussion.

Keep it mature and respectful and it shouldn't be a problem.

~Chris~
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 12:43 pm

Tika wrote:
If you wanted to do it in posts however I see no reason why you couldn't. New thread, and it goes without saying but keep it as civil and polite as you can. I think we all understand the love and devotion we have to our own dogs and hurt feelings are easy come by when nit picking little things that tend to factor in on a BoB discussion.

Keep it mature and respectful and it shouldn't be a problem.

~Chris~

Along those lines I just want to add if you guys want to critique your own dogs in such posts that would be fine, but I would not publicly critique others' dogs unless they specifically open themselves up to the discussion. I think it would be a good read and educational but would only offer criticism if it is asked for. There is no perfect dog so every dog has it's faults and it would be good for those interested in getting into showing to learn but not at the expense of upsetting someone who did not ask for their dog to be made an example of. Wink Happy posting and as Chris said, keep it respectful.

Puppy
Puppy
zizzuki

PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 12:53 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:
It's so true about their coat! I got Ares neutered because his confirmation teacher told us he'd never get a fill coat. He's almost a year old now and he filled out so nicely and his coat came in great.

aw man thats why you got him neutered?! thats a bummer. altho at least you can still show him in altered ukc like kory does with stark. i refuse to spay zizzy until shes 2 years old. because ive read that some huskies just mature slowly, the breeds known for it, so it may take up to 2 years for them to get their adult coat in. it took korys husky juneau around one and a half years old.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 12:55 pm

Some dogs just have short coats also. In the original imports there was a great variation in coat lengths among the dogs. Some breeders have lines that mature incredibly quickly and others slowly - it's not breed specific as any breeder in any breed can have those. Just because a dogs coat isn't a typical "show" coat does not mean anything except it doesn't follow the fad. An excessively short coat (like Bella's) should be faulted just as an excessively long or wooly coat should be.

I have one of the short coated Siberians.

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 1:14 pm

Okay!! I wasn't meaning it in any way to be disrespectful, but I think a lot can be learned by looking at other dogs and their conformation. That doesn't mean someone needs to be a meany-pants. Smile Conformation is just that, how the dog conforms to standard. It means little about love and how beautiful WE think our dogs are Smile
Back to top Go down
zizzuki
Puppy
Puppy
zizzuki

PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 1:24 pm

Niraya wrote:
Some dogs just have short coats also. In the original imports there was a great variation in coat lengths among the dogs. Some breeders have lines that mature incredibly quickly and others slowly - it's not breed specific as any breeder in any breed can have those. Just because a dogs coat isn't a typical "show" coat does not mean anything except it doesn't follow the fad. An excessively short coat (like Bella's) should be faulted just as an excessively long or wooly coat should be.

I agree. Like Snowmist pups...their coats are poofy at birth lol. Her pups are amazing and i can only dream of showing one in the future haha. And then I have seen people show their dogs with shorter coats than my girl and still win! It all depends on the judge, whether theyre gonna be true to standards or just pick the prettiest pooch. As long as your dog has great conformation, you can only hope the judge looks past coat preference lol.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 1:30 pm

zizzuki wrote:
Niraya wrote:

I agree. Like Snowmist pups...their coats are poofy at birth lol. Her pups are amazing and i can only dream of showing one in the future haha. And then I have seen people show their dogs with shorter coats than my girl and still win! It all depends on the judge, whether theyre gonna be true to standards or just pick the prettiest pooch. As long as your dog has great conformation, you can only hope the judge looks past coat preference lol.

Yup! And even then, conformation is relative at times. What I consider conforming, may not be what the judge considers. For example, snow nose. Some don't like snow nose and they judge dogs on it, but others know that it is COMPLETELY acceptable in the breed.
Back to top Go down
zizzuki
Puppy
Puppy
zizzuki

PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 1:44 pm

mheath0429 wrote:

Yup! And even then, conformation is relative at times. What I consider conforming, may not be what the judge considers. For example, snow nose. Some don't like snow nose and they judge dogs on it, but others know that it is COMPLETELY acceptable in the breed.

wow seriously?! i never heard of them not liking the snow nose. you would think it doesnt matter since its a northern breed thing. some of the judges really irk me. i question how anyone allows it haha.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 1:46 pm

Seriously, it happens all the time. I know people who have had to remind judges that is completely okay.

Some people even cover it up!! Which is actually illegal in AKC and UKC
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 2:11 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Okay!! I wasn't meaning it in any way to be disrespectful, but I think a lot can be learned by looking at other dogs and their conformation. That doesn't mean someone needs to be a meany-pants. Smile Conformation is just that, how the dog conforms to standard. It means little about love and how beautiful WE think our dogs are Smile

Personally, I love the idea of a thread that critiques dogs' confirmation, because that is how I (and many others) learn. I think people seriously interested in showing could benefit from having an objective opinion for several reasons.
For one, it helps with being able to make in informed decision about which judges to show under (example: "The dog is a bit straight in the front but has a great rear and so-and-so judge tend to go for fronts over rears").
Plus, if anyone showing is considering breeding in the future, it is imperative to understand the dogs' faults (no matter how minor) when it comes to choosing a stud. I am NOT saying everyone showing should or even wants to breed their dog, but surely someone is bound to be tempted (especially if the dog finishes).
Finally, anyone competing with their dog needs to have a bit of a 'think skin' because one can't (and won't) win all the time. There is no such thing as the perfect dog, but perhaps it would help if we had a rule of saying one nice thing for every fault.
I'm new to huskies and don't have a dog to show right now, but I am thinking of getting back into showing in the future. My dog is a total pet quality rescue, but I'll gladly try to take a stacked pic of him for others to pick apart if anyone is interested (should be plenty to critique! lol)
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 2:21 pm

We started a thread for those interested. Please only post if you are willing to learn. As there is no reason to be negative.
Back to top Go down
zizzuki
Puppy
Puppy
zizzuki

PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 2:54 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Seriously, it happens all the time. I know people who have had to remind judges that is completely okay.

Some people even cover it up!! Which is actually illegal in AKC and UKC

yeah i have heard of people even tweaking their dogs markings with dye. its sad they think they have to go to those extents.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 2:58 pm

People don't show dogs to lose Razz

If your morals and ethics are already that low to begin with it really only is illegal if you get caught. The fault should not solely lie on the people who do this but those that know about it and allow it to continue. Make no mistake either that it will continue as long as other exhibitors use these things themselves or know people who use them and don't say anything and as well as judges who continually put up dogs that are enhanced/altered (whatever word you choose to use).

It really amazes me how we're quick to defend the dog fancy from those who would speak ill about it but people who do those things (and also judges who award extremes) are the reason that people look down upon the fancy. There is a reason why people outside of the dog show world call them "beauty pageants".

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 5:16 am

Is ares out of standard in terms.of height and weight? I thought you mentioned that somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: show dog questions   show dog questions - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

show dog questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2