It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hello From Michigan

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kmarti32
Newborn
Newborn

Hello From Michigan  Empty
PostSubject: Hello From Michigan    Hello From Michigan  EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 10:20 am

Hi everyone! My name is Kelly and we will soon have a new pup. We are rescuing a Husky Mix puppy. He will be ready to come home December 9th. We currently have a 20 month old German Shepherd named Diesel. He is my baby! I realize that all breeds are different and I want to learn as much as possible about raising a Husky as I can before we bring him home (and of coarse continue to learn as we go lol).

This is supposed to be my husband's dog, but since he works and I do not, I will be doing most of the parenting. My husband has decided to call him Bandit. He named my dog Diesel and I was supposed to name his Dog and I wouldn't have picked Bandit so I will call him Bandito the Great Skippito! (Skippy John Jones Childrens Book must read if you have kids).

Hello From Michigan  76252_284872254965031_721190715_n

This is his Mom:

Hello From Michigan  398219_273812569404333_1594785534_n

Not sure who Dad is (so we don't know what he is mixed with) but this is him (Quinn) and his litter mates:

Hello From Michigan  564981_278124468973143_1268755110_n

Can't wait to bring him home!!

Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Michigan    Hello From Michigan  EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 10:47 am

Congrats! Very cute. Where in Michigan are you?
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Michigan    Hello From Michigan  EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 am

Welcome! He sure is a cutie! I love gsd's, post pictures of diesel Smile
Back to top Go down
kmarti32
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Michigan    Hello From Michigan  EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 12:17 pm

MGoBlue wrote:
Congrats! Very cute. Where in Michigan are you?

Thanks. We are downriver. South of Detroit.

Hayden_69 wrote:
Welcome! He sure is a cutie! I love gsd's, post pictures of diesel Smile

Thanks!

Here is Diesel. He's my love!!

Hello From Michigan  IMG_0444
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Michigan    Hello From Michigan  EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 1:25 pm

Well both Deisel and Bandito (lol) are gorgeous! I take it the owner must a Dexter fan huh? Can't wait to watch him grow up! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Michigan    Hello From Michigan  EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 1:31 pm

Welcome! There are alot of us from the area!

I am in the Toledo area right on the OH/MI state line
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Michigan    Hello From Michigan  EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 1:53 pm

Welcome! Both of your pups are gorgeous! Very Happy

My friend has always had GSDs and she loves that I have huskies because in her opinion huskies and GSDs are the coolest dogs around. But she would never own a husky. Razz
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Michigan    Hello From Michigan  EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 2:31 pm

I love Masuka x3 stop showing me cute red puppies. Bandit is very cute, looks like it'll be a fun time <3 and of course Diesel is one handsome GSD Wink welcome ^-^
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Michigan    Hello From Michigan  EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 3:21 pm

Welcome! Bandit and his whole litter are just adorable Very Happy I love Deb, I'm a sucker for a heavy mask Smile

Diesel is so handsome
Back to top Go down
kmarti32
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Michigan    Hello From Michigan  EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 4:11 pm

cinnamonbits wrote:
Well both Deisel and Bandito (lol) are gorgeous! I take it the owner must a Dexter fan huh? Can't wait to watch him grow up! Very Happy

We're actually getting him from a German Shepherd Rescue that works with a local shelter. The GSD rescue has a friend that was rescuing Husky's to make a "all rescue sled dog team" or something like that. She got the mama and was soooo annoyed at how lazy she was. One look from the GSD rescue gal and she was like SHE'S NOT LAZY!!! SHE'S PREGNANT!!! LOL Well, a week later the pups came. I'm not sure who Dexter is but I'll have to ask her. LOL

MayaAndSophie wrote:
Welcome! Both of your pups are gorgeous! Very Happy

My friend has always had GSDs and she loves that I have huskies because in her opinion huskies and GSDs are the coolest dogs around. But she would never own a husky. Razz

To be honest, I'm VERY afraid! I've been doing a lot of reading about Huskies and it's going to be a big adjustment (one we CAN handle though) for us. My GSD never leaves my side. He's great off leash and on. Great Recall. Even from a hundred yards away. It will be strange to not be able to let him off leash. I'm going to buy a 40 foot lead for big open spaces.

Also, my GSD is so easy to train and such a pleaser. From what I've read that may not be the case with a Husky. I feel like I've been so spoiled with Diesel because training him for basic things was literally a piece of cake. I have a feeling this puppy is going to make me work for it. LOL What are your thoughts or experiences with this?

On a positive note, I have a great support system of friends and co-op members who are very experienced and full of information on anything "dog" related and some even have Husky's. Very Happy I also have a great trainer who also happens to be an old friend and I can call her anytime.

So, bring it on!! bounce
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Michigan    Hello From Michigan  EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Training my huskies have always been fairly easy for basic commands. They would learn them immediately but recall is a lot tile different for my girls. Maya will come if she wants to or if there's something in it for her. Sophie comes all the time unless she's on the trail of something. Kay comes all the time in the backyard but the dog parks a different story. Jumping up on people and housebreaking I think is the hardest thing for my girls. Sophie's a year old and still not potty trained but Kay and Maya are good even though I've only had Kay for about a month. But it sounds like your up to the challenge and have a good support group. Very Happy

The bond I have with my girls is so much different then I've had with any other dog. Though it might be because they're mine and I do everything for them. My girls never leave my side inside the house, they forget about me outside.

Maya got out of the yard yesterday and I seriously freaked out. I was about to start running around the neighborhood looking for her when she comes running back to me when I call her name. Her recall sucks so I was really surprised. I broke down after she came back into the yard. She was ecstatic though so she must have had fun. No body in my house seemed to really care though but I thought I lost her forever when she got out. Maybe her recall is better then I thought but she's not doing that against.

Sorry this got kinda long and off topic but I wish you the best with your new puppy. Smile
Back to top Go down
kmarti32
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Michigan    Hello From Michigan  EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 10:25 pm

Thank you Abby! Long is good! I'm glad Maya came back. I couldn't imagine losing Diesel.
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Michigan    Hello From Michigan  EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 3:43 am

Welcome! Bandit and Diesel are both looking dogs. My advice since huskies are pack animals make sure Diesel knows that he is the alpha dog. I have to do this cause miniature schnauzer is older than my Loki.
Back to top Go down
Onyx_Blitz
Teenager
Teenager
Onyx_Blitz

Male Join date : 2012-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Michigan    Hello From Michigan  EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 11:42 am

Welcome to the Forums.

I love your GSD! He will have so much fun with the husky.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Michigan    Hello From Michigan  Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello From Michigan

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: It's A Husky Thing :: The Welcome Mat-