It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Do huskies ever grow out of chewing on everything?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alexa&joe001
Puppy
Puppy
alexa&joe001

Female Join date : 2012-04-27

Do huskies ever grow out of chewing on everything? Empty
PostSubject: Do huskies ever grow out of chewing on everything?   Do huskies ever grow out of chewing on everything? EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 3:28 pm

This morning, i woke up to my laptop charger completely chewed up & destroyed. Thank god Joe has another for his laptop that fits mine. We try hard to keep things off the floor & keep plenty of toys to keep her entertained. But it isn't the first time she's done this. She has a thing with chewing on wires which not only is annoying, but it's dangerous & concerning as we don't want our dog getting electrocuted or starting a fire. We have a lot of wires to television, phone chargers, fans, cables, etc & some we can't hide anywhere so they are exposed. & caging her at night is a completely different story & out of the question, because she gets mad & poops in it every time we put her in it regardless if we just had her outside to go or not. She's now a year old. We can't have her doing this all the time. She gets good exercise, & has plenty of toys & bones to chew on, so i really don't understand why she continues to act destructive. Advice?
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies ever grow out of chewing on everything?   Do huskies ever grow out of chewing on everything? EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 3:49 pm

Hmmm not sure what to say on this as Yuki is crate trained, shes never whined or had a problem with her crate nor had any accidents in it. As for the wires, we put these plastic coils that my mom got from Ace Hardware really cheap to protect them from getting chewed on. They're super long so and we have about five of them that go around all the TV and cable wires and Yuki hasn't touched them since ^-^
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies ever grow out of chewing on everything?   Do huskies ever grow out of chewing on everything? EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 4:00 pm

This all depends on the dog, how you train them, and the exercise you put into them. Koda never chewed, Ro chewed once. Koda is almost 5 and Ro almost 2, and neither are crated. Most people seem to have experienced their dogs acting up the most around 8 months to 18 months, though I haven't had this issue and I really can't tell you how I dodged the so-called teenage years or destructive habits most huskies have. Both our dogs we had the time to spend the first 2 months home with them at the least to really work on training and whatnot, since Jarod did not work when we got Koda and I did not when we got Ro, and aside from dinner dates or movies pretty much were with us 24/7 the first few months home, which probably had a lot to do with it since most people don't have the option of being home that much. Do you not have an area that can be dog-proofed to secure her in, like a kitchen? I know a lot of people here when they first wanted to test having their dog outside the crate confined them to the kitchen.

Have you also made sure to make her crate a happy, positive place? If she chews wires, I wouldn't have her running around free, even if she poos.. Poopy dog is better than electrocuted dog.
Back to top Go down
alexa&joe001
Puppy
Puppy
alexa&joe001

Female Join date : 2012-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies ever grow out of chewing on everything?   Do huskies ever grow out of chewing on everything? EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 4:42 am

That is true but we never put her in her cage as punishment or anything. N we always keep plenty of toys in there, she just gets mad at us i guess? lol
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies ever grow out of chewing on everything?   Do huskies ever grow out of chewing on everything? EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 5:25 am

My youngest Mika hasn't yet, she will be 2 in January. One day she pushed or something so hard on the crate door she bent it and got out, then chewed up some worthless junk. The main issue I had was she chewed up the connector for the brand spanking new heated mattress pad, not even got to use it once! To get to that HIDDEN connector, she chewed up the blanket, loose sheet, and fitted sheet and then the connector. There are only at least 3 deer antlers, squeaky toys, rope chews, and other stuff around, but she got that connector. Now my other furkids, no they aren't chewers at all. I used to leave cali out when it was just her and ever had an issue.
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies ever grow out of chewing on everything?   Do huskies ever grow out of chewing on everything? EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 6:25 am

If that happens to me, I'm gonna go crazy looking for another charger. I went out today for about 6 hours and I realized I did not close the baby gate that lead upstairs and my rooms door were open, chargers own the floor. Guess what I found when I reach home? Nothing! No mess.. Lycan only hid his kangaroo rib rack under my pillow, that's it and he is only 7 months old. He knows not to touch things that he doesn't own. It's good that I have Titus educating Lycan. Titus used to chew up everything when he was 5 months till 9 months old. After that he stopped. Lycan follows whatever Titus does, that''s why I don't have to worry about things like he chewing the wrong things. Thank god!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies ever grow out of chewing on everything?   Do huskies ever grow out of chewing on everything? EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 1:54 pm

I have issues with Willow chewing but I have learned how to teach her to curb this on certain items. When I first got her, she went after our shoes every time I turned around. I learned a trick to put the item she desires on the floor and stand there and wait til she goes for it. When she does, I block her. The key is to keep blocking until they give up and ignore the item. Do this everyday until they never go for that item again. It worked great with the shoes. I can leave her alone with a pair of shoes all day and she doesn't touch them now. This doesn't solve the chewing issue completely. She finds things randomly every once in awhile, but if she fixates on a particular item, I just do that trick and it seems to work for us.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies ever grow out of chewing on everything?   Do huskies ever grow out of chewing on everything? EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 2:32 pm

I lucked out. Nanook is somewhere between 1 and 2 and the the only things he's gone for are my dumbbells (he gave up on that pretty quick).Oh yeah - and he tried to pick up my 6 year old daughter's Fur Real dog but dropped that idea real quick when she told him to Leave It.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do huskies ever grow out of chewing on everything?   Do huskies ever grow out of chewing on everything? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do huskies ever grow out of chewing on everything?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1