It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
shay.hinton.09
Newborn
Newborn
shay.hinton.09

Female Join date : 2012-11-18

My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........ Empty
PostSubject: My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........   My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........ EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 2:22 am

So my sweet Johnny Cash will be one year old on December 11th.. These past 2 weeks, Cash has went from sleeping in our bed to sleeping in the living room.. granted, we did gain two roommates 2 weeks ago and moved into a 3 bedroom from a 1 bedroom.. So maybe he feels like he needs to protect us since he's got in his head that he's alpha? any how! So he won't sleep with us anymore, he's starting to mark his territories when he goes, He's starting to talk to us more, and he's also mastered breaking out of his kennel! I have yet to figure out how he is doing that! We also had an accident at PetSmart the other day! He saw a german shepard that he wanted to try to dominate over and we pulled them apart and he just lost it! Bladder and bowels! What a nice embarrassment for me! Has anyone else noticed a major change in their male husky when they become of age? If so, how did you handle it? Any advice is always appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........   My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........ EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 3:36 am

Is he neutered?
Back to top Go down
shay.hinton.09
Newborn
Newborn
shay.hinton.09

PostSubject: Re: My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........   My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........ EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 12:34 am

No he isn't.. I was hoping to have puppies one day with a female!
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........   My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........ EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 12:44 am

From what I have learned, I believe that is your problem. They change a lot, and can become more aggressive when you don't de-sex them. From what my breeder and the people on this forum have said, at least.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........   My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........ EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 12:45 am

shay.hinton.09 wrote:
No he isn't.. I was hoping to have puppies one day with a female!

I'd start with neutering. Is there any real reason to breed him? If it's effecting his behavior, it's not worth it.
Back to top Go down
shay.hinton.09
Newborn
Newborn
shay.hinton.09

PostSubject: Re: My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........   My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........ EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 12:57 am

He's not aggressive like growling or biting.. He's just marking his territories, sleeping in the living room instead of with me, and showing dominance over other dogs..Today I left for work and when I came home, there were 15 piles of poo on my carpet floor and he peed on my couch! He's potty trained so I don't know why he did that.. Are all of these actions out of him not being neutered?
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........   My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........ EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 1:38 am

There are plenty of threads on here about why neutering is good for your dog, so definitely take a look around.

He's growing into an adult teen dog from a puppy and his behavior will definitely change. Siberian huskies for dummies is a great book that many of us have read. He may also be adjusting to moving - so hang in there and let him settle in for a couple weeks.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........   My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........ EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 1:42 am

shay.hinton.09 wrote:
He's not aggressive like growling or biting.. He's just marking his territories, sleeping in the living room instead of with me, and showing dominance over other dogs..Today I left for work and when I came home, there were 15 piles of poo on my carpet floor and he peed on my couch! He's potty trained so I don't know why he did that.. Are all of these actions out of him not being neutered?

He's marking, that is what a intact male will do. My newest addition, Ares is now 10 months old. At 8 months he started marking the back of my couch and getting dominant with other dogs at the dog park, which can EASILY turn into a dog fight. He went in to get neutered a week later and now all the issues stopped as if they never happened. Honestly the only way to reverse it will to get him neutered, he has a ton of testosterone running through his body right now and getting him neutered is going to decrease that.
Back to top Go down
shay.hinton.09
Newborn
Newborn
shay.hinton.09

PostSubject: Re: My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........   My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........ EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 2:00 am

I will definitely take your advice and get him neutered then! If i want a puppy, i guess i will have to buy another puppy.. lol.. Maybe i can talk the fiance into getting another one, once Cash settles down! He is so full of energy.. I'm fixing to start bikejoring with him! If i can teach him the right way and if he can handle the dern heat down here!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........   My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........ EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 2:07 am

I'm really glad to hear that Smile We got our second when Embry was like 14 months. Having a second reduced his energy so much because he had a buddy to play with 24/7
Back to top Go down
shay.hinton.09
Newborn
Newborn
shay.hinton.09

PostSubject: Re: My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........   My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........ EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 2:15 am

I've actually had a second before.. Lets see, Cash was 8 months old and i had found a female husky on craigslist that the people were fixing to take her to a dog pound that killed the dogs, so i took her in, and for TWO days, Cash did nothing but chased this female around the house and was constantly trying to hump her.. We were not able to sleep either nights because he wouldn't leave her alone! I couldn't handle it anymore so i found her a good home.. I wonder if i were to try again when he's a little older and with him being neutered, if the situation would change?
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........   My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........ EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 2:19 am

Yeah I'd wait until a couple months after he has been neutered to try again for a second after his hormones are settled. He was trying to be dominant over here and showing that he is alpha of the house.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........   My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........ EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 2:25 am

Sounds great! Smile Glad to hear he's getting neutered. Our second dog was 1 1/2 when we adopted her and a little wild but having an older husky helped train her and calm her down. She still loves to play but behaves great when we're just all hanging out. If you're looking into a second, definitely look into an older dog because they're already calmed down. Makes your life so much easier! Smile We had two young husky strays in the house for a few days while we tracked down their parents and it WORE ME OUT! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........   My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........ Empty

Back to top Go down

My husky is official the Alpha, the Protector! I think........

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1