It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How to evaluate pup

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

How to evaluate pup Empty
PostSubject: How to evaluate pup   How to evaluate pup EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 10:20 am

Hi there and hello!! My hubby and I are bringing home our baby very soon (Jan) and I have been searching all over for some sort of guide on how show huskies are evaluated as a pup for breed confirmation. We will meet the litter at 8 weeks, and might be 9 weeks, as our breeder likes to do her final evaluations for her own choice at this time. Now, she is an excellent breeder, and I am sure she will help us in choosing our show pup and answer all our questions, BUT, I want to be somewhat prepared before we get there. I am a Golden Mom, so Sibes are new to me.

So far, I have found nothing, except the AKC breed standard, which doesn't help me much. We do plan on showing our girl, and hope we do well. The breeder supports us in this, and said she would help all she can as well. Like I said, just want to me more informed before we get there. Any points in the right direction would really be appreciated!!

Also, just one more quick question.....we do agility, and ob with the goldens, but never done confirmation before....what is a 'Major' or can you please explain the point system ?? Thanks a bunch!

Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: How to evaluate pup   How to evaluate pup EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 10:35 am

I have one more question....how can you tell what the pups will look like in the face as adults??? Their mask can change, correct???
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: How to evaluate pup   How to evaluate pup EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 10:41 am

Welcome to the forum! To become a champion you need to earn 15 points and have at least 2 majors. At each show you can earn anywhere from 0 to 5 points. The number of points you can earn depends on your region and how many dogs were entered in your breed and what gender they are. It also changes from year to year to make it even more confusing! lol. AKC puts out a point schedule that you can find here: http://www.akc.org/events/conformation/point_schedule.cfm

A major is any show where you can earn 3 to 5 points.

This link should help with selecting a puppy: http://www.kossok.com/kossok/Selecting_Showdog.html

You may like this too:
http://www.kossok.com/kossok/Introduction.html

And the illustrated standard:
http://www.shca.org/pdfs-docs/1999_IS.pdf

What state are you in? I would love to see fellow IAHT members at some shows!

Also remember to trust your breeder. If you found a good one, they've been doing it for a while and pretty much know what their puppies are going to turn out as. I was amazed when Elara grew up and her breeders comments were spot on about what was going to be good and bad about her.

----------
You can tell a little about what their heads will look like compared to their siblings. Like Elara's litter had "big" heads and "small" heads, but they do change a lot and masks and coat color changes a lot too as they grow. I'll find a picutre of my girls growning up.

How to evaluate pup Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: How to evaluate pup   How to evaluate pup EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 3:19 pm

Sara, Thank you! That is awesome. Would love to see pics of your girl. We are in Indiana.

Thanks, again for the info and the links!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: How to evaluate pup   How to evaluate pup EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 4:01 pm

8 weeks
How to evaluate pup IMG_2509

How to evaluate pup 364

6 months old (she was going through an awkward phase
How to evaluate pup IMAGE0003_zpsf278187e

1.5yrs old
How to evaluate pup IMAGE0004_zpsdf06b9ae

How to evaluate pup IMG_0321

Almost 2yrs old
How to evaluate pup IMAGE0005_zps45bfd386

Back to top Go down
dragonthewhitedread
Teenager
Teenager
dragonthewhitedread

Male Join date : 2012-10-30

PostSubject: Re: How to evaluate pup   How to evaluate pup EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 5:29 pm

Sara, what kind of lead are you using for the initial training and such to keep her in place?
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: How to evaluate pup   How to evaluate pup EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 5:48 pm

Sara, she's so pretty! Thanks for posting the age progression. (and seeing win pictures from shows I used to attend way way way back in the day makes me all nostalgic. lol)
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: How to evaluate pup   How to evaluate pup EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 6:17 pm

dragonthewhitedread wrote:
Sara, what kind of lead are you using for the initial training and such to keep her in place?

I pretty much always use a thin nylon lead with a thin metal choke chain. I use that, cause I have my mom's old hand me downs from when she used to show dogs. Oh and I was lucky to get that stacked puppy picture of her. We took a ton, but she was such a wiggle butt, we only got one good one!

Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: How to evaluate pup   How to evaluate pup EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 9:40 am

SARA:
What a gorgeous girl!!!!!! Thanks for the pictures.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: How to evaluate pup   How to evaluate pup EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 6:05 pm

Elara is a sweetie.

May I ask where your pup is coming from, and have you considered talking to the breeder about mentoring? I have learned so many things from my mentor (I didn't even get my pup from her). There are all kinds of Facebook groups about showing, handling and breeding and you should check those out. In fact, you will see many familiar faces from this group.

I use a black nylon choke and lead....we use the chain but it was pulling out his fur. Sad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: How to evaluate pup   How to evaluate pup EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 12:49 am

I completely agree with Megan, ask the breeder to mentor you! I have learned a ton from both of the breeders I have purchased from and continue to expand my mentor base as I expand into working as well as showing my dogs. There are so many people with years of experience and knowledge and finding the right ones to mentor you is important Smile

When I show Denali I use a black/white leather braided lead with a silver snake chain. My red girl will be getting a tan/light tan braided lead with a gold snake chain.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: How to evaluate pup   How to evaluate pup EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 1:46 pm

Thanks! I am sure she will be more than willing to help us!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to evaluate pup   How to evaluate pup Empty

Back to top Go down

How to evaluate pup

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Community :: Show Dogs-