It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Furminator vs. HV dryer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

Furminator vs. HV dryer Empty
PostSubject: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 3:25 pm

Ok so i am wondering between a furminator and a HV dryer is one better than the other at keeping the hair in ur house to a minimum? I know some people feel furminatora are not healthy for a husky to use to often.. And i also know that HV dryers are expensive! But is one better than the other? Or are they something u should use together? Or and input on this would be greatly appreciated..
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 3:42 pm

I have both but I rarely use my furminator. I like my HV dryer, I found it for 135 on craigslist. It can be used for more than just drying a dog also. I like multi-tasker stuff than a brush. When I dry the dogs off, I use the dryer to clear off the back patio also.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 3:46 pm

What HV dryer do you have.. Everyone always talk about the k9 mini or the bears... I found some cheaper ones around the price of yours but i just didnt know if i would get the results that i wanted.....
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 3:54 pm

I have a Metro Air Master Blaster II. I like it, has 2 motors/blowers on it so it can be low or high.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 4:12 pm

I would not want to be without either and I regularly use both. With that said, my HV dryer (K9 Mini) knocks the socks off the Furminator and is better/safer for their coat.

Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Thanks for always answering my different questions about HV dryers valarie.. Im just nervous to spend that kind of money on something that im not sure if its worth it.. But from everything i read from mulitple posts i think ill have to spend the money.. I will be getting my pup home when he is 8weeks old.. How old do u think he will be when he starts shedding bad and i should purchase one?
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 4:20 pm

Kevin ill have to look into that HV dryer. I havnt looked at that one.... Does it work well for you? Do you use it often? Do you have alot of hair around ur house?
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 4:26 pm

I still have a decent amount of hair, but my dogs are scared of it so I am slowly getting them use to having it be used. I like it alot. The dogs like it when there isn't an attachment on the end so the air is slower but also warmer for them. I am using it maybe once a week or maybe two. I got one to like it, the others are not so sure about it.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 4:34 pm

Ok so i should get one when he is a pup.. So he gets used to it probably.. Or maybe just use a hair dryer so he gets the idea of it.. U think that will work? Eventually when he older ill actually get one though..
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 4:43 pm

There really is no comparison between a hairdryer and HVD which the force and sound. But no matter what, you will deal with a ton of hair when they blow coat. Minimalize it with grooming tools still leaves you with a copious amount of hair all over, and it pretty much doesn't end that 2-3 months they blow.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 4:45 pm

I was just thinking bout the hair dryer to get him used to the blowing and some of the sound instead of just throwing him into a big old hurricane foruce winds lol.. But i userstand what ur saying.. I know there is still gonna be hair around the house.. Just wanted to do whatever i can to keep it minimized..
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 5:07 pm

I agree with heather. I work at a dogie daycare and grooming facility. I keep maggie well brushed and well groomed. Even with that there will still be a ton of hair! Me and my co worker groomed 2 huskies last week. They were blowing their coat big time. I get husky owners all the time asking how can we get them to stop this nonsense. I tell them well using a grooming tool and get most the undercoat you can helps, but there still will be hair around the house.

Northern breed ownership got to love it! Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 5:26 pm

Eric, your pup won't start blowing coat until closer to the latter part of its first year most likely. Although, like people, each dog varies on when their first real shedding starts. Regardless, you will have at least several months (most likely 6+ months) to consider an HV dryer. I would suggest starting to save now for a good one if money is an issue so that when your pup is older (maybe 8-12ish months old) you can get a good one if you are still interested. In the meantime you can get your pup familiar with the sight, feel, and sound of HV dryers by taking him to a groomer or using one at a self service dog wash...or borrowing one from a friend if you know someone who has one.

I would definitely invest in several different brushes right now to get your pup used to being brushed right from the get go.

Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 5:34 pm

I planned on getting furmintor, what other brushes are good?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 5:48 pm

Check out the grooming forum for brush recommendations, we've had several threads on the topic which will be of help to you.

Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 5:52 pm

Duh im new to forums lol thank you
Back to top Go down
Rotorhead
Newborn
Newborn
Rotorhead

Male Join date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 4:04 am

I have been considering a furminator but have been reluctant fearing nuking my vacuum with hair more than freaking out the dog. This other device, the "HV dryer" sounds like a big high velocity hair dryer. True? This works to blow the loose hair off a dry dog? Interesting. So far I find brushing her while out on a walk on a windy day (plenty of those in the high desert) is as good as it gets for now, but can always learn. Often I can stand outside in the breeze with her and just pluck hair off of her, especially her hind quarters. It looks like a little blizzard.
For me the attraction of the furminator is how it collects the hair. Brushing in any kind of a breeze is messy. But if you blow the hair off with a high velocity blower, how to contain the mess?
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 12:53 pm

You blow them off outside! lol. I sometimes use it on my pourch, but it gets to the point where I can't breath, cause there's so much hair flying around. Looks like it's snowing.

For me, I love my HVD and HATE my furminator. Will not use it on my girls. Just don't think it's safe for their coat, though I am a little biased, because I do need to keep Elara's coat in good condition because I show her in conformation.

As for when you should get one, I would just use a regular drier and maybe your vaccume to get your pup used to the noise and something blowing on him. Siku didn't blow her puppy coat until 9 months and Elara blew her coat a little around a year, but is finally going though a big blow at 2yrs old.

Furminator vs. HV dryer Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 12:54 pm

Rotorhead wrote:
But if you blow the hair off with a high velocity blower, how to contain the mess?

You don't! That's why I only use mine outdoors and it's like a being in a snow globe of fur...without the globe! Laughing

Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 1:12 pm

Thank you guys so much!!! I defintly be getting one.. Thank you so much!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 1:25 pm

I use a zoom groom initially (thanks Sara for that tip!) in a circular motion and then blow them out, rake, blow, slicker brush, blow and then i'm usually done. Odin I have to use a stripper on because of how screwed up his coat is. We use the coat king.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 1:29 pm

lol. Zoom grooms are your friend! When used on a dry coat that is. Smile I've never actually used it while I've washed my dogs which is what it's supposed to be used for.

Furminator vs. HV dryer Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Rotorhead
Newborn
Newborn
Rotorhead

Male Join date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 2:27 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Rotorhead wrote:
But if you blow the hair off with a high velocity blower, how to contain the mess?

You don't! That's why I only use mine outdoors and it's like a being in a snow globe of fur...without the globe! Laughing

That's a vivid description! Do you brush the coat as you blow her or does air pressure alone do the job?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 3:11 pm

Nope, I don't brush and blow. I just let the dryer do its thing and it does a great job.

Puppy
Puppy
zizzuki

Female Join date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 1:41 pm

Well, I used the furminator ONCE on yuki (my mix) and it made her look like a bald hairless thing lol. thats because the furminator doesnt just get out the dead, loose hair, it also cuts the good hair out....which isnt a positive thing. I learned that at a dog show. So I will never use it again cause i like my dogs keeping their coats. i just use an undercoat rake to get the dead hair out as much as i can. I reaaaalllyyy need to invest in an HV dryer soon. When I was in grooming school, we'd have like 6 dogs getting dried at once....hair EVERYWHERE hahah.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Furminator vs. HV dryer   Furminator vs. HV dryer Empty

Back to top Go down

Furminator vs. HV dryer

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next