It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it..

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it.. Empty
PostSubject: How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it..   How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it.. EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 8:12 am

I was at a dog beach yesterday and everything was fine until this boxer came up to Lycan, knock him to his back, pinned him down and was about to go for his throat. Lycan is a happy go lucky 7 month-old Malamute that doesn't know what is danger. He is already 84lbs and that boxer will not be able to knock him down if Lycan is just a little alert. Lycan thought that boxer was playing with him so he went down easily for cuddles and did not resist when that boxer pinned his weight on him. Me and my partner got there just in time to pull the boxer off him. When we pull the boxer off, it was still snapping and snarling the air. At that time the boxer had its jaw just a few inches from Lycan's throat. And the owner is just a few steps away.
Later on the owner had the nerve to blame it on Lycan saying that it's the breed that provoke her dog. Her boxer always does this to husky/malamutes/shepherds!! Well since she know that her dog has a tendency to go for these dogs' throat, shouldn't she put a muzzle on him or at least have a leash on when she is in the dog beach? I've seen other responsible owner in the dog beach putting a muzzle on their not-so-friendly dog so their dog can enjoy the beach as well.
Back to top Go down
Kick
Newborn
Newborn
Kick

Male Join date : 2012-10-20

How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it..   How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it.. EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 10:33 am

Eh, if someone had the nerve to blame it on the breed, I'd blame it on the owner. I would not be afraid to say something that would offend the owner. He/she deserves it for being so ignorant.

Anyways, not sure what would help. I think something like that would be more instinct dependent than training.
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it..   How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it.. EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 11:46 am

I was too busy checking if there are any wounds on Lycan I did not bother to say anything to the women. Anyway now I'm kinda frighten to let him run around the dog beach freely. He wouldn't know what's danger and what's not.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it..   How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it.. EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 12:01 pm

He'll learn. You can't stop him from having fun because of one stupid dog and its owner, that's not his fault. He's got a sweet personality, you don't want to change that. And yes, if this woman knows that her dog goes for dogs like that she should at least leash it. The next time you go, be on the lookout for that dog. If its there, go somewhere else. It sucks, but its easier to do that then try to make her leave obviously because its never going to be her dog's fault.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it..   How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it.. EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 12:21 pm

Wow he's gotten so big!

I hope this experience doesn't taint your opinion of Boxers. They really are great dogs when raised properly.

I think it's all irresponsible ownership. As you said, if she knew that could be an issue, she should have muzzled him. There's a chihuahua mix that comes to our park all the time and he doesn't like puppies so the owner always has a muzzle on him, just to be safe.

I'm not sure about Lycan though. I would think it'd be instinct. Most dogs know when it's a play growl and when it's the real deal. Like the chi mix I mentioned, despite the muzzle, he still snarls and growls and Callie knows it means to back off. The only thing I can think of is that the boxer didn't give any warning for Lycan to pick up on.

I would like to know what kind of owner says "oh he doesn't like that breed." I didn't know dogs were racist...
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

PostSubject: Re: How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it..   How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it.. EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 12:28 pm

Quote :
I would like to know what kind of owner says "oh he doesn't like that breed." I didn't know dogs were racist...

I didn't either til my friend with a GSD told me there's a dog at one of the parks that hates GSDs and always goes for them and went after her dog. She told the owner that if they know their dog is like that, they shouldn't bring it around when there are GSDs in the park. cyclops
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it..   How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it.. EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 12:53 pm

calliegirl08 wrote:

LOL!!! That made me laugh!!

There's a small maltese type dog at my dog park that apparently is infatuated with small, white, fluffy dogs. Every time I go the little dog tries to hump Cloud.. the ENTIRE time. He will chase Cloud to the ends of the earth to hump him, so I always have to switch sides of the park when he's there xD
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it..   How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it.. EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 1:09 pm

Quote :
I didn't either til my friend with a GSD told me there's a dog at one of the parks that hates GSDs and always goes for them and went after her dog. She told the owner that if they know their dog is like that, they shouldn't bring it around when there are GSDs in the park. cyclops

Maya's the opposite, she thinks GSDs are the easiest to knock over and pin to the ground. Most of the ones she plays with are kinda top heavy and all she has to do is give them a little nudge and they'll fall right over. So GSDs are her favorite dogs.

Last edited by MayaAndSophie on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

PostSubject: Re: How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it..   How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it.. EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 1:13 pm

Quote :
So GSDs are her favorite dogs
Haha that's sooo funny!!! Karlie and Jade (my friend's GSD) are BFFs. We went on a walk with them and when one of the guys running the walk tried to pick Karli up (because she's such a cute little puppy) Jade got really close to him and kept an eye on him. No one was gonna hurt her buddy, that's for sure!
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it..   How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it.. EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 1:20 pm

My chihuahua doesn't have any preferences on breed. Anything female he will hump.

There was one time that a dog came to the park and the owner of a pittbull had me look out for Callie because the dog didn't like the bully/boxer/mastiff type breeds. And he did try to go after her dog so I believed her. But the dog has come to the park a dozen other times and it turns out he just doesn't like anyone.

I guess it's possible if the dog had a bad experience with a certain breed then they wouldn't like any others but still. If you're the owner, you probably know that, so when you see a breed you know your dog doesn't like, step up to the plate a little!

Oh, but yes, Callie seems to love those GSDs. They're like twice her size though so I don't get it.
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it..   How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it.. EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 8:53 pm

I am actually leaning towards the part where 'Lycan doesn't know whether it's a real growl or a playful one'. It's kinda hard to explain. I started socializing him at around 8 weeks old because I know he is going to get big. I teach him to be friendly with all kind of dogs. But recently I realised that he seem to be too friendly that he doesn't know how to protect himself. Before this boxer there is another issue with a black aussie in the beach. The owner told me that dog just like to growl at all other dogs but will not bite. So it was growling and snarling at Lycan, Lycan actually did a play bow to it.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it..   How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it.. EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 10:17 pm

Honestly, I feel like once a dog decides that they've had enough of playing, they'll let the other dog know. And it only takes one second of another dog playing too rough or even not playing for your dog to speak up and tell them to stop.

Pippa never made a sound at the dog park when she'd had enough of someone's playing. She would just run around with her tail down until the left her alone. The other day though, someone went too far and she yelped and they left her alone.

If something does happen and a dog isn't playing, I'd almost guarantee that Lycan will stick up for himself.

And sometimes, dogs really do growl when they play. Pippa looks like an idiot when she's trying to get a dog to play with her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it..   How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it.. Empty

Back to top Go down

How to teach Lycan to be aware of danger? He was attacked and didn't realise it..

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1