It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Crate size.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ghwanee
Newborn
Newborn

Crate size.  Empty
PostSubject: Crate size.    Crate size.  EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 2:07 am

Hello, I am picking up a husky pup in 2 weeks. We currently have a lab and we used a 42 inch metal crate. However, the metal crate folded will not fit in the trunk. So I was wondering if the 36 inch crate would work for a husky full grown. I could just get a small crate for her use for now but I kinda don't want to have to buy multiple different crates. Any input will help.

Thank you
Back to top Go down
luis84
Newborn
Newborn
luis84

Male Join date : 2011-11-15

Crate size.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate size.    Crate size.  EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:32 am

Hello -- My full grown male will not be happy in a 36 inch crate.

I don't like crates but they are good for puppies with positive training. For a full grown you need a 42 inch or bigger, that is just my opinion. As a puppy, 36 inch is fine.
Back to top Go down
Shilonator
Newborn
Newborn
Shilonator

Female Join date : 2012-12-15

Crate size.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate size.    Crate size.  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 1:38 am

I recently spoke to our trainer about this topic. She told us for Shiloh a 36 inch would be ideal for her.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

Crate size.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate size.    Crate size.  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 1:50 am

I have a 42" and it's a decent size. I certainly wouldn't go smaller. Especially if they have to be in it for long periods of time during the day.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

Crate size.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate size.    Crate size.  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 3:41 am

The general rule for dogs and crates is that the dog should be able to stand up head straight, and be able turn completely around inside the closed crate. Depending on the size of your husky, it will probably be 36 or 42. I would just err on the side of caution and get a 42.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

Crate size.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate size.    Crate size.  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 3:52 am

I use 48" crates with metal pans, can get them pretty decently prices online
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Crate size.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate size.    Crate size.  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 7:00 am

We have two 36" crates - one wire and one airline crate. The airline crate seems to be roomier, so our larger Sibe goes in there (he's now at 72-ish lbs) and the smaller 59 lb female is happy in the wire crate with plenty of room to spare.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Crate size.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate size.    Crate size.  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 10:45 am

we have a 36" crate and a 32 " crate. My male uses the larger one and female uses the smaller one (she about 42lbs and 4" shorter than Blaze)
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Crate size.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate size.    Crate size.  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 11:31 am

I have both a 36" and a 42" wire crate for my sibe who is 22" tall and weighs 50 lbs full grown. He fits just fine in both however I prefer to leave him in the 42" crate on the rare occasions that I might need to crate him simply because I want him to be more comfortable and able to spread out more but he fits in the 36" crate just fine too.

Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

Crate size.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate size.    Crate size.  EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 10:19 pm

I actually bought the 48" crate a LONG time ago because I wanted to be prepared. Well what I didn't realize is how GIANT it is.

So, for a puppy, do you think a 30" crate would be good up until they're about 6 months or so? I know it depends on the dog and to partition it still when they're smaller. Or would you not go any smaller than 36" for a puppy. I will be switching out to the big crate when I move out but there's no where it would fit in my bedroom, which is why I was thinking the 30" or 36" for now. Lol.

Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

Crate size.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate size.    Crate size.  EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 10:42 pm

I just bought this crate, it says pets up to 40 lbs - (30"L x 19"W x 21"H). Yuki is 5 months old, about 28/30 pounds ish, and she can fit in it just about perfectly. It's Cloud's crate not hers but just thought I'd give you the comparison. I think Yuki's is about the pets up to 70 lbs - (36"L x 23"W x 25"H). She still has plenty of room in it.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

Crate size.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate size.    Crate size.  EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 11:00 pm

All of mine fit nicely in 36" crates, though my Denali is a bit longer so I have him in a 42" when I do crate...typically that's only at the dog shows.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Crate size.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate size.    Crate size.  EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 11:23 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
I just bought this crate, it says pets up to 40 lbs - (30"L x 19"W x 21"H). Yuki is 5 months old, about 28/30 pounds ish, and she can fit in it just about perfectly. It's Cloud's crate not hers but just thought I'd give you the comparison. I think Yuki's is about the pets up to 70 lbs - (36"L x 23"W x 25"H). She still has plenty of room in it.

That sounds good then. I think the 30" will be good for him as a puppy and when he gets too big for it I'll just switch to the 48" crate.

HuskyMom09 wrote:
All of mine fit nicely in 36" crates, though my Denali is a bit longer so I have him in a 42" when I do crate...typically that's only at the dog shows.

Yeah for when he's bigger and left alone for longer periods, he'll be in the bigger crate. I just need to get a smaller one because the 48" one I bought is just too big to fit anywhere right now.

I've been slowly acquiring things over the last several months even though I had no idea when I'd actually be getting a puppy, hence the reason why I already have a large crate.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

Crate size.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate size.    Crate size.  EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 12:16 am

simplify wrote:
Mobezilla wrote:

That sounds good then. I think the 30" will be good for him as a puppy and when he gets too big for it I'll just switch to the 48" crate..

Not sure if you're interested but here's the link to the crate I got. Took about 10 days to arrive. http://www.petmountain.com/product/dog-crates/11442-522100/precision-pet-pro-valu-great-crate-two-door.html Although its out of stock right now. I also heard petco had really good online deals for crates. I tried ordering mine off amazon at first but then the supplier was like 'loljk out of stock' a week after I had ordered it so I just went to pet mountain xD
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Crate size.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate size.    Crate size.  EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 12:57 am

^ Oh man I hate that so much! It should be marked out of stock when it goes out of stock, not after you've already placed your order. Petco has 40% off everything on their online store plus free shipping, so I may end up taking advantage of that (even if I really won't need it for another couple of months). XD

Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

Crate size.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate size.    Crate size.  EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 11:47 am

I got a 48" for my pup to prepare for him and was just gonna divide it.. Well the first day i put him in there he was whining and chewing the wire and got his mouth stuck between them.. So i havnt put him back in there yet. I will when he gets bigger. I luckly had a small airline one laying around that he just fits in for now..
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Crate size.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate size.    Crate size.  EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 12:23 pm

simplify wrote:
I actually bought the 48" crate a LONG time ago because I wanted to be prepared. Well what I didn't realize is how GIANT it is.

So, for a puppy, do you think a 30" crate would be good up until they're about 6 months or so? I know it depends on the dog and to partition it still when they're smaller. Or would you not go any smaller than 36" for a puppy. I will be switching out to the big crate when I move out but there's no where it would fit in my bedroom, which is why I was thinking the 30" or 36" for now. Lol.

I would get the 36" and use the divider rather than the 30". At least then you could still use it later in life and possibly to adulthood rather than only being able to use it for a puppy.

Crate size.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crate size.    Crate size.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Crate size.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1