It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client   Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Karissa, I would love to read about the training of your puppy, as I'm currently training Karli on my own til I take her to puppy classes (things have just been so crazy right now that training her myself has been easier.)

I agree his tail may have been injured in the past. My grandpa had a GSD when I was little that had been shot in the butt (poor guy got mistaken for a skunk in the early morning) and so his backend was always sensitive. But we were always reminded never to touch Sam's backend and as long as we listened, he never bit or snapped. He was a cuddlebug otherwise. So it may be something related to an injury. But its great he's doing so well!!
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client   Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 3:06 pm

I think its hardest to get them to listen to you when strangers are involved. My pup won't jump on me b/c she knows i dont take that nonsense but when im walking her at the park, forgetaboutit! lol. She lunges towards people in extreme excitement and immediately jumps on them.Im still trying to figure out how to tell strangers to Please dont encourage her to jump on you. Well best of luck with all the training your doing. I like following the progress thats being made and seeing the different views everyone's got. Im learning a lot here just by following this
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client   Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 7:16 pm

The best way to tell a stranger not to do something with your dog is to say "please don't do that, she's in training." The key part is to convey that your dog is being trained. Most people will listen. Sit-to-greet training with strangers is also something that people are willing to help with, and something that teaches your dog manners. Ii think I've explained a sit-to-greet on this thread, but you can PM mee if you have questions.
Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

Female Join date : 2012-12-28

PostSubject: HOLY BALLS OF FIRE BATMAN   Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 5:06 am

K9_Eric wrote:
Karissa's new Husky pup comes home, and her little girl dog is in heat right now, so we focused a lot on puppy prep, and decided to skip a week so that Dexter is calmer, and the puppy is a little more broken into its new home.

Ok. The last two days have been beyond hell. My little dog Lady is in heat. Has been for a couple weeks. She just started flagging 2-3 days ago. Everything was fine until 2-3 days ago...
When Dexter lost his SH**. I cant even bring Lady into the house. I got bit pretty viciously (viciously for Dexter...didn't break the skin but it was multiple bites on my hands as I was trying to back away, and it did hurt badly). He was in a heat induced stupor, baying, barking and whining at the top of his lungs, running around after Lady, doing that little nasty sound they do when they've smelled girl parts, tearing around the house, up on the furniture, almost knocking us over, and overall being unbearable. Oh yes, and he started pulling Lady towards him harshly and squatting down to try to hump her (She weighs 7.5lbs, he is a decent sized husky).
I came up kind of diagonally behind him (he could see me as I approached) and I hadn't even touched him, he just whirled and bit me several times on the hands and ran off. Granted, I had been trying to hold him away from Lady just before this incident, but he hadn't shown ANY hint of aggression towards me.
After that, I had to put my poor baby girl in the detached shop with food/water, blankets and a heater so we could sleep, as we still had to go to work tonight.
My front room is covered in piss and REEKS of it, and the laundry room also is covered in piss and reeks of it.
Had to take Lady to my mom's house today. Dexter calms down fairly quickly after Lady leaves the premesis. Her scent is still in the house though, so he can't calm down completely.
In all the years of watching my mom breed dogs, I have NEVER. EVER. seen anything even remotely close to the psychotic rage this dog goes into.
Guess who's getting fixed???
EVERYBODY!!!
I think I will ask the vet if I can keep Dexter's balls and put them in formaldehyde on a shelf.

Sigh.
I am calling in the morning and making an appointment for his balls to be chopped off.

And tomorrow, I get to bring home a puppy!!! Oh joy... I see a session with the carpet cleaner on my agenda for 6am when I get home...and the new bottles of urine remover I just bought...By the time I'm done, it should be time to drive a few hours to get the new pup, drive back, pick up my kid, and go home and start the long process of introductions.

On the plus side, the bf has been walking his dog without me having to ask him to do it... *optimism*
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client   Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 1:24 pm

Quote :
On the plus side, the bf has been walking his dog without me having to ask him to do it... *optimism*
I realize its been a rough couple days but something is better than nothing right? I'm in the process of getting my hubby to take care of his birds (for the past three years I've been doing it and I'm tired of him ignoring them since he's the one that wanted them so bad when all I ever wanted was a dog lol.) So its good that he's doing it!!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client   Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 1:25 pm

Wow, sounds like a crazy time to bring home a new puppy!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client   Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 2:09 pm

Quote :
And tomorrow, I get to bring home a puppy!!!

WoW.... Best of luck to you, is all I can really say. I know this is going to be taken the worst way possible, but I wouldn't bring a puppy into my house if I didn't have the ideal circumstances for it to flourish in. Just the unwanted behaviors it could pick up from a dog in training at such an impressionable age would be enough for me to put the brakes on and rethink this.

I mean you're retraining or rehabilitating a dog already and now you're bringing in a puppy that is going to require so much more attention as it is.... It's just a HELL of a lot of work is all, and I don't envy you in the slightest.

In your place, and I'm 100% aware I am not and have no cause to pass judgement, I would even inquire if the breeder would be willing to hold onto my puppy for another month (I'd pay fully, sign a contract, and even drop more cash for food if need be). Like I said that is JUST ME.

Either way I'm glad you are on the forum and working with Eric. Both are great resources and I hope both can help. It already sounds as if Eric has been helping improve Dexter's behaviors, which is huge.

Quote :
Ok. The last two days have been beyond hell. My little dog Lady is in heat. Has been for a couple weeks. She just started flagging 2-3 days ago. Everything was fine until 2-3 days ago...
When Dexter lost his SH**.

I'm really glad you're getting everyone fixed. I wouldn't blame Dexter or his balls. Any male dog in a home with one or more unfixed females while one is in heat is going to act like that. Hell, your neighbor's dogs might act like that. Considering Dexter hasn't grown up around females in heat, it's no surprise he went into a heat-induced rage.

Truly this isn't meant to be mean, or call you out. What's done is done, and if you are getting them fixed then it will no longer be a problem.

It is meant more a long the lines of a warning to others, as your story is very typical, in possible dangers that can arise and how strong the need to mate can be at times. Maybe not for all dogs, but for a strong willed pup like Dexter it was bound to happen. You are lucky no one was seriously hurt in all honesty.

I'm glad your boyfriend is stepping up too. "It takes a village" and everyone needs to be on the same page. You've been taking on way too much for one person to handle (and about to take on more) and you definitely need the support.

I respect the time and level of commitment you have/are putting in with Dexter. Coming here and seeking out help show how much you want him to be happy, healthy, and a part of your life. You really are taking on a lot is all I'm saying. Retraining and rehabilitation take a lot of attention and effort, Adding a puppy takes a lot as well. I don't know you or your resolve and I'm not saying it can't be done, but I wouldn't wish that level of commitment and energy on my best friends or my worse enemy.

I mean this very much:
Best of luck to you and all your Pups!!!

~Chris~

Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client   Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 7:32 pm

I 100% agree with Chris' post. My very first thought when I saw you were bringing in a new puppy was how I didn't think it was very smart to bring in such an impressionable little pup when you still have so much work to do with Dexter. I also don't envy you one bit. I hope you are prepared for all the trials and tribulations that await you.

Good luck and I hope your progress with Dexter keeps going well.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client   Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 7:42 pm

Since she doesn't post super actively, I figured I'd mention I brought that up in another post to her and she responded:

Quote :

+
----
-
Good point Heather. One that I have thought about. When I put the deposit on the pup, the plan was for the boyfriend to be training his dog. That would leave me free to train a companion for him. He is a much more well behaved dog when he has a companion his size. Plus, I want one to train from scratch. It was a way to get us both out of the house. Training our dogs. Unfortunately it has turned into ME training Dexter, as the bf has no dog experience before this one.

I still agree waiting until the situation is more under control is the best course of action, but we all make our own choices Smile
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client   Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 11:23 pm

I don't want to comment on the puppy but I find myself being the sole caretaker of our dog and its very rare my husband helps out. I'm glad to hear your bfs been walking dexter and helping more. If you do get the pup I know that huskies are very social so im sure he would love having a companion : )
Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

PostSubject: Re: Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client   Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 1:37 am

Yea, fate kind of had it out for me this time. Everything happened at once and the house went crazy this last week. I've had the deposit on the pup for a month. It's kinda hard to walk away from $500. And I really don't want to trust the biggest human socialization period to a backyard breeder that is too busy to send me regular update pictures.

Little girl is home now! No going back. Dexter calmed right back down after Lady was removed from the equation. I still have to shampoo the carpets to get the lingering smell out so he can be 100% again. Doing that tomorrow.
Dexter gets along fine with the pup. Not much interest on his part after initial introductions, but I think that will change as the smell of heat is eliminated from the house and she gets bigger and bolder.

Will post more info on little missy's thread in scrapbooks. DreaMagyk's Alabaster Empress.

Edit: I want to thank you guys for being civil and supportive. And at least not openly judgmental. Wink
I have a very odd way of doing things, but it always seems to work out. With a lot of hard work and perseverance!
Back to top Go down
goaliechick41
Teenager
Teenager
goaliechick41

PostSubject: Re: Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client   Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 2:35 am

Ok!! Perseverance has paid off. We had a large incident between my son's breakfast, Dexter, and the new pup, but everything has been sorted out and all 4 dogs (including the one going out of heat) are occupying the same room peacefully tonight. It's been a rough week, but we got through it.
And I found a place that does any spay/neuter for about $100. Dexter is going in on the next paycheck. Which is the end of this week I think...

I called Eric and re-sheduled for tomorrow's session. With the behavior Dexter has been exhibiting, I didn't think it wise to skip this week. He has calmed down substantially, bit now we have to get him back in the swing of things and really solidify the new good behaviors in him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client   Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dexter the Siberian Husky - New training client

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4