It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  Empty
PostSubject: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 pm

So, I had the TV on the other day and an episode of Dog Whisperer came on. Normally, I'll watch the show just to watch it, but don't totally agree or see merit with everything that this guy says.

ANNYWAY. The Episode was centered on this gated community cul de sac in LA. Everyone had multiple "problem" dogs. Cesar was called to solve all the problems so that they could walk their dogs in harmony without their dogs attacking each other.

This one lady had 3 Sibes and she said that she doesn't walk them at all because it would be too embarrassing to be seen being dragged on the sidewalk by 3 fully grown Sibes.

He went over all the things she can do to help her walk her dogs, including not using a harness that encourages pulling, etc etc. He even taught her how to walk them while on rollerblades and how to bikejor.

At the end of the show, he always goes back a few weeks (or months?) later to check to see how they're coming along. The lady said that she had just stopped altogether, that she couldn't do it, that they just don't listen. SO she just doesn't do it anymore at all.

And in my head, I'm like, WHYYY DO YOU HAVE 3 HUSKIES IF YOURE NOT GOING TO TAKE THE TIME OR HAVE THE PATIENCE TO GIVE THE DOGS WHAT THEY NEED?!

/vent
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 3:10 pm

Sounds like sheer laziness right there. No point in having a dog if you are not going to take the time to train them. I slip up every now and then when I've had a busy day, which is understandable, but not making any effort what so ever. Poor dogs.
Back to top Go down
ashleylou
Teenager
Teenager
ashleylou

Female Join date : 2012-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 3:32 pm

I got my girl so that I'd be forced to exercise lol and she's honestly helped alot, I've lost 25 lbs since June. I always hated walking/working out by myself so she's my motivation. But honestly what's the point in having 3 amazing dogs and doing absolutely nothing with them? Lazy lazy lazy...
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 5:03 pm

I don't walk all my girls at once since I'm still training them to walk well on leash. I take them each out individually to have one on one training. I can't walk 3 crazy huskies at once, I only weigh like 115lbs, I don't even want to think about what would happen if they saw a squirrel. I will be walking them all together once they walk better though. My girls don't even drag me they just stay on the end of the leash and slightly pull. Why does she have three if she hasn't even taken the time to train one? Kay was horrible on leash and dragged me everywhere when i got her. Within two days of training she's probably the best on leash I have. Razz
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 5:25 pm

How sad. Everyone but Lucy gets at least a 5k walk every day, and at least an hour of interactive playing in the yard every day, rain or shine, and then they get individual practice and training time too.

I'm lucky enough to be able to walk Locca, Soshanna, Mixie, and Panzer all at once. Dayzee is the only impolite walker yet, and as such goes alone.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 6:33 pm

I saw that episode a while ago. Lady is stupid!

I can't walk my three together either. I did a few times, but when they saw a squirrel that wasn't fun. LOL. Realistically if Mya wasn't such a b**ch I could handle the three. I work 9-5 and still spend an hour and a 1/2 everyday walking/running them. I alternate between Mya/Kody and then Asia OR Mya and then Kody/Asia. They get 2 miles in everyday. Plus play time in the yard. I rarely skip a day. Unless I'm feeling crappy or it's raining.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 6:37 pm

That's the spirit.

Lol, In Seattle I can't wait out the rain. Its been raining since Late October. My yard is practically a wading pool/pig pen. We've been talking about how terrible its been, and how glad we are that our new couch is brown microfiber.
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 6:47 pm

So much for training people. I feel bad for the dogs, she doesn't deserve them. We walk in all weather except thunderstorms. Over the years we have acquired gear for all seasons. My Goretex pants and shoes were great investments. After Fargo passed and before we got Lola, I truly missed dog walking. Sometimes we would for a walk but it wasn't the same. Lola was seven months when we got her and didn't know how to walk on a leash. We really worked hard on her leash skills and it is paying off. She getting to good and it is a pleasure to get out with her. Even when I would rather be a lazy butt.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 6:53 pm

I saw part of that episode on YouTube. She really just had no idea what she was doing.

I think it's hilarious that she came to the conclusion that she just wouldn't walk them. Because that will fix things.
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 6:58 pm

*continues to lose faith in humanity*
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 7:28 pm

katiesham wrote:

I think it's hilarious that she came to the conclusion that she just wouldn't walk them. Because that will fix things.

She must be some kind of genius.

You have the right kind of cynical sense of humor to train other peoples animals, lol. This lady let me take her dog for 4 weeks to train it, and I gave it back and showed her how to continue training with corrections on walks and such and she literally told me "I'm not going to correct my dog, I thought he would just come back fixed.."
I just laughed and said "it is what it is, if you don't continue to provide structure, and boundaries your dog will take back control, and you'll have wasted all your money."
She told us she was going to sue us, but it never happened.
Some people..

Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

PostSubject: Re: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 7:37 pm

K9_Eric wrote:
"I'm not going to correct my dog, I thought he would just come back fixed.."

That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard. Because handing your dog off to someone else and expecting it to act perfectly for you when it comes back is a normal expectation?

I would not have been able to not just laugh in her face.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 8:17 pm

I didn't even try not to laugh in her face. It was probably my most unprofessional moment, but seriously.. its amazing what rich people assume that they can just throw money at and fix..
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 1:24 am

I must admit, I personally don't walk Cloud or Yuki often. Yuki is 4.5 months old right now and Cloud is lazy therefore I just take them to the dog park to get their energy out as to not strain their muscles. However as Yuki gets older I will start walking them more and more Smile (we went out on a 15 minute walk today around my neighborhood and they walked pretty good considering)

Last edited by Mobezilla on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

PostSubject: Re: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 1:54 am

I, personally, would get her used to walking now, as long as you don't walk longer than is recommended of course. I adopted Pippa at 7 months and she'd had very little leash training (I'm convinced none) and I wish I could have had her when she was younger if only to teach her better leash manners. I feel like it's easier to do that when they're younger.

Just my Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  2144500265.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 2:03 am

I agree. I used to just structure Soshannas potty breaks into leashed walks around a single building. Mixie I started walking a bit later and less frequently, as opposed to open yard pottying, and she took longer to learn manners, where as I was confident in Soshanna off-leash walking on pathways away from people and traffic when she was 6 months old, because she had always had to heel outside the house everytime, so it was natural to her to heel all the time.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 2:08 am

katiesham wrote:
I, personally, would get her used to walking now, as long as you don't walk longer than is recommended of course. I adopted Pippa at 7 months and she'd had very little leash training (I'm convinced none) and I wish I could have had her when she was younger if only to teach her better leash manners. I feel like it's easier to do that when they're younger.
Just my Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  2144500265.
K9_Eric wrote:
I agree.

Please don't assume that I don't walk them AT ALL. We do walk out every day to do potty breaks and we walk to the car and we work on her leashing manners, but I'm not going to do long walks with her until her muscles are completely formed. I don't care if she pulls horribly when shes 1, I'm not risking her joints.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 2:13 am

I wouldn't assume, lol. I was just agreeing with the advice that the younger they get used to it, the easier it is.

I totally understand saving their joints. That's why I added my two cents about just walking around the building with Soshanna.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 2:18 am

K9_Eric wrote:
I wouldn't assume, lol. I was just agreeing with the advice that the younger they get used to it, the easier it is.

Not sure if I agree with that. I've worked on leash training with Yuki since she was 6 weeks old and have NEVER let up, but I see tons of huskies that haven't had the type of regular training and walk much better on leash. I think it depends on the dog, Yuki's EXTREMELY stubborn lol
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 2:33 am

I think you're thinking of a lot less structure than what I'm talking about. Every dog is different, but neurological pathways are built the same way in their brains. That much is science.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

PostSubject: Re: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 2:38 am

Mobezilla wrote:
I don't care if she pulls horribly when shes 1, I'm not risking her joints.

Fair enough! I'm sure you know your dog and know what will work best for you. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode    Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode  Empty

Back to top Go down

Cesar Millan's "Desperate Housedogs' Episode

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1