It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is my husky pup overweight?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SierraCalloni
Puppy
Puppy
SierraCalloni

Female Join date : 2012-11-10

Is my husky pup overweight?  Empty
PostSubject: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 2:12 am

My husky is 7 weeks and is 18lbs! His brother and sisters are probably around 10lbs and look normal. I dont know if its just because he is a big puppy or fat? When I held him at 2 weeks i could automatically tell how much bigger he was then the others. He is just such a stocky husky so i dont know.......

Is my husky pup overweight?  59838210
Back to top Go down
Chiviri's mum
Newborn
Newborn
Chiviri's mum

Female Join date : 2012-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 2:18 am

oosh, look at those cute rolls! Gah, it seems hes a little overweight, Ive never had a dog that young so perhaps I may be corrected. Maybe loosening up on treats and such might help.
Back to top Go down
SierraCalloni
Puppy
Puppy
SierraCalloni

PostSubject: Re: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 2:21 am

Ya i just brought him home today and i believe he can use some slimming.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 2:23 am

oooh, but it's puppy fat Razz

He probably is a little on the chubby side, but all the better for squeezy cuddles Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 2:37 am

Oohhhh I wanna squishhhh him!! He may be getting ready for a growth spurt? Kids do that right? Idk about huskies haha.
Back to top Go down
SierraCalloni
Puppy
Puppy
SierraCalloni

PostSubject: Re: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 2:40 am

Haha you guys should see the pictures i uploaded in "52 weeks of Oakley". You can see so much more of his rolls.
Back to top Go down
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 8:56 pm

I have been told to examine weight issue in this way
stoke both sides where the ribs are
a layer of skin + a bit muscles -->ribs --> healthly
a layer of skin+ a layer of fat + a bit muscles --> ribs --> good
a layer of skin + a layer of fat --> ribs/ can't feel the ribs --> overweight.

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 9:38 pm

i know for puppies its a bit different as far as checking the weight vs the growth of them. your info on examination is right for adults so keep that in mind, puppies i have no idea what to tell you i like starting with adults!

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 9:57 pm

Puppies are supposed to be fat!

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 1:19 am

Yeah I wouldn't worry, puppies are meant to be fat.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

PostSubject: Re: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 1:35 am

Just enjoy your little Chub!
Jennet, I love your profile pic Smile
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 2:45 am

Dot wrote:

Jennet, I love your profile pic Smile

thank you Smile
Back to top Go down
SierraCalloni
Puppy
Puppy
SierraCalloni

PostSubject: Re: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 2:52 pm

Now i dont thinks its as much as fat as it he is just huge for 7 weeks! Did anybody else have a huge husky pup?
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

PostSubject: Re: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 3:11 pm

Do you know how much he weighs?
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 4:20 pm

I don't know about Huskies,
But my Lab was fat. I figure it can't hurt, I was fat when I was little.

Is my husky pup overweight?  2011-09-21113956_zps30edba10

This was her in the first week I had her. She grew into it, and Soshanna (6months old at the time) eventually filled out.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 5:53 pm

18 lbs sounds like a lot for 7 weeks. He must be huge! What does your vet say? If you think he's overweight, you might want to consider slimming him up a bit because too much weight is hard of the joints while they are growing (just as if not more dangerous as running a pup too much)
Sorry I don't have any husky comparisons, but here are pics of a lab I used to have that was 10 lbs at 8 weeks and about 80 lbs at 1 and 1/2. (and labs aren't supposed to be much taller than huskies but with more bone)
Is my husky pup overweight?  Willie93Is my husky pup overweight?  Willie2-1
Back to top Go down
Callicocat
Puppy
Puppy
Callicocat

Female Join date : 2012-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 6:10 pm

My husky was the biggest of his litter at about 15 pounds when we got him at 8 weeks, I wouldn't worry too much he now weighs about 42 pounds at 9 months. He's slimmed it off. Although I think half his weight was hair!

Is my husky pup overweight?  Rue_7_11
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

PostSubject: Re: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 7:19 pm

Oh, sorry I missed the weight on the op.. My girl's litter was in the range of 9.9-13.2 at almost 8 weeks. But their mom is on the small end. Maybe he's a little big, maybe he's getting ready to shoot up, I still wouldn't worry too much?
Back to top Go down
hstead
Newborn
Newborn
hstead

Female Join date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 4:21 pm

Our puppy Kiba is now 9 weeks. He was 15 lbs at 8 weeks, and the vet marked him down as a 4/5 on the scale: 4 being healthy for working dogs (albeit a little underweight), 5 healthy dog weight, 6 slightly overweight, etc. He eats like a champ. No worms. I think he's just going to be a big boy. He was also one of the biggest in the litter when we held him at 3 weeks. He has doubled in size since we got him at 7 weeks. So, who knows, maybe your boy is just going to be big or maybe he's a fast grower? I'm hoping the latter with ours Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 4:41 pm

Huskies go through different growth stages. Some stay medium size and some get pretty big. Lycus barely turned 1 year old and is almost 80 lbs. He was weighing 75 at 10 months. I never expected him to be so big, but he's really tall and long lol. All the more husky to love.
Back to top Go down
EmmaGraceCalder
Newborn
Newborn
EmmaGraceCalder

Female Join date : 2013-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 4:52 pm

9 times out of ten, if a dog doesnt look overweight its probably not.
If hes tall and long, and generally a big boy then he will weigh more, its expected. You should be able to feel his ribs (under the husky fluff) but not be able to see them. Smile

If your really worried go to your vets and get them to do a weight check. They are usually free.
Hope this helps!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is my husky pup overweight?    Is my husky pup overweight?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Is my husky pup overweight?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1