It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I think I've scared myself

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

Male Join date : 2012-12-19

I think I've scared myself - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 7:40 am

Well ya know I'm honestly drawing a blank. Might be due to how late it is haha.

Well then again, what would you say stacking the odds in my favor might entail?
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 7:52 am

Depends on what you want to do.

Health testing. CERF/SHOR clear/normal on parent grandparent and probably great parents AT LEAST (eye testing in Siberians is really important)
Hips as far back as you can get. (OFA/pennhip)
No dog being bred under the age of two.
Thyroid testing.
Elbows if you'd be doing contact sports where it's important to avoid displasia.
Heart certs (even though heart issues aren't a common problem they can pop up)
That's all I can think of at 5 am

You'll be hard presses to find a breeder that does all of those things but cerf/shor and OFA or pennhip I'd def want. I'd run if any breeding was done under the age of two. I'd like thyroid but its not gonna make or break anything.

Ideally those are ways to stack the odds but they still don't guarantee anything.

I think I've scared myself - Page 3 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 7:57 am

I've got that information on mom and dad along with grandma and grandpa,not that its a factor or anything in his health, but he got his coloring from grandma who is still around but retired and simply a pet now at about 9 1/2 and very healthy.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 8:01 am

Genetics doesn't work like that :p

He is a red?

If so (I can't tell I'm on my phone) both parents were either red themselves or one parent was and the other was red factored (carried the gene for red) or both were red factored but not red themselves.

Red is recessive so to get a red both parents either have to be red or carry the gene.

Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 8:02 am

Yes he is a red lol, thats what I was getting at.His father got the red gene from his mom and both his
Mothers parents were reds but she is a white.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 8:05 am

What is the grandma retired from?

Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 8:06 am

She is a former recreational sled dog.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 8:06 am

Wait - two reds cant throw a white. It's genetically impossible.

Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 8:09 am

I can get her history again to be sure, but I don't have the best memory at 5 am or a deep enough knowledge of husky genetics to argue otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 8:14 am

Since red is recessive the dog has to have two copies of the red gene to be red (e/e). Genetics tells us that the offspring of two things (in this case dogs) will inherit one copy of the color gene from each parent.

If you breed two reds together - the offspring can only get one color gene - "e" or red. Because each parent is e/e making it genetically impossible for two reds to throw a white.

Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 8:20 am

The maternal grandfather was a red piebald, the maternal grandmother was a white with light tan markings almost a pale blond. Looking at the pictures I'm asuming that I'm wrong to call her a red due to her having a white puppy.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 8:26 am

According to genetics (and that's all I have to go off of) I just know that both parents can't be red. Lol

Piebald is a pattern.

Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 8:35 am

Red piebald key word there being red lol.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 8:43 am

He could have been a gray piebald it wouldn't matter lol. The dog doesn't have to be red itself to throw red puppies. It's immediate relatives don't have to be red either.

The red dog that introduces red into the line could have been generations back as long as dogs that were kept were red factored.

It's technically possible to look at a pedigree of grays, blacks, silvers and not see one red but it just so happens you bred your grey bitch to a red dog and produced a litter that had one quarter of them being reds because somewhere there was a red dog and it just happened that your bitch carried the red gene.

My point is it doesn't have to be within the immediate family.

Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 8:47 am

I'm not disputing that, what I'm aiming at is he has red on both sides of the gene pool within 2 generations so it was a fair chance of his parents possibly having a red pup. Which is why I waited around for this litter so I could have a chance at a red and voila a red Smile. I'm not a biology major but I do get the basics.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 8:56 am

Lol I'm not either. All of my genetics research is on my own or with the aid of my breeder who is a biology major.

Actually - the only way to know if your odds were increased in getting a red would have been if this breeding was a repeat that had thrown reds or if both parents had thrown reds in previous litters (but were never bred together). If this was a first time breeding then there would have been no idea whether they would produce any reds (especially if either dog had been bred before and never threw a red) regardless of having reds on both sides (unless the dogs were red that were kept). There is no genetic test to see if dogs carry the red gene.

I'm also not being argumentative but just explaining things Smile

Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 9:03 am

I don't it as argumentative at all lol, its a interesting topic and I'm enjoying the discussion. In every litter this pair has had thus far ( that number being 3) there has always been one red. With the majority of them being black and white or white. The only three colors this pair has been able to make so far. Going to another aspect of his and this is purely going on a wish and a prayer, I'm hoping his eyes stay blue Razz and that he keeps his mask even tho I'm sure it will most likely change.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 9:05 am

That part I can't help with lol. Blue eyes is recessive that's about all I can tell you. Lol

Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 9:06 am

As popular as they are and as common as they seem that comes as a surprise to me.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 9:07 am

How old are these dogs?

Seems odd to me to repeat the same breeding three times.
What is the purpose?

Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 9:10 am

The pet market is awash with blue eyed Siberians because that's what people want. "The pretty blue eyed sled dogs". So with them being in demand - the supply was met with people who breed specifically for blue eyes.

Why you see so many of them.

In the show world you will see primarily brown eyes.

Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 9:19 am

They are 6 and 7,Mom has bi eyes and dad has brown. The pair has pups that are of good temperament and fit the ideal standard of the working dog. I'm a avid out door type and I'd love a dog to go biking the trails near my house so I wanted a dog with the natural working talent the breed was originally bred for. I came across a biker in the park earlier this year with one of their earlier pups.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 2:32 pm

I totally fell asleep Sad sorry! I had to be up by 830 anyway to drive to Philly lol

Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 2:33 pm

I was facedown sawing logs after my last post.lol
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 2:42 pm

Lol!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I think I've scared myself   I think I've scared myself - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

I think I've scared myself

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3