It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Aggressive dogs within city limits?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lovecheese45
Puppy
Puppy
lovecheese45

Female Join date : 2012-11-26

Aggressive dogs within city limits? Empty
PostSubject: Aggressive dogs within city limits?   Aggressive dogs within city limits? EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 2:18 pm

Hey guys, I had an event that literally scared the you know what out of me. I was walking my dog within city limits (my neighborhood), which has a leash law ordinance. We were walking by a cul d'sac when two dogs started running towards us.

The owner yelled at the dogs but never ran after them to retrieve them. One was this really small fur ball dog and the other was a massive mastiff. The mastiff had to weigh a good 120-150, as his head came up to the bottom of my chest. They ran up and past us, so I assumed they were enjoying their freedom. The mastiff got to the end of the road when he noticed the little dog approaching Juno. He went completely aggressive. Snarling, Growling, Barking and snapping at us. He kept stepping one or two steps closer every snap.

Now, Juno thinks he's just playing and she wants to play too! I knew better because of how he was acting. I legally carry a handgun (let's not get into that argument)! It was the first time I had ever unholstered it for fear the dog was going to attack. The last thing I ever want to do is take the life of someones pet but he was extremely aggressive!

Either the dog caught wind of something more interesting or realized the potential danger he was about to be in, he ran off with the little one in tow. The little one was extremely friendly... the big one not so much.

I immediately called my dad and told him what happened. He told me to call animal control and inform them of the aggressive "loose" dog. I am an animal lover by far! I'm happy it did not escalate further than drawing my sidearm.

Should I purchase a can of mace and carry it with me when I walk Juno around my neighborhood? Most everyone in the neighborhood already knows I carry because they stop and pet Juno so they know my dog isn't aggressive.

Would you have shot the aggressive dog if he attacked your Sibe or you?
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive dogs within city limits?   Aggressive dogs within city limits? EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 2:51 pm

I've weighed in with my opinion on protection a few times. Like you, I carry a handgun for my dog walks. Like you, I don't take the idea of killing somebody's pet very lightly, and actively try to avoid situations that could endanger anybody.

The off-leash dogs you encountered today were a perfect example of why people hate off-leash dogs so much, and its a shame. You shouldn't have to worry about an uncontrollable dog, and certaintly not an uncontrollable Mastiff.

You were right to draw on the dog, and right not to shoot first and ask questions later. I definitely would have reported that owner and his dogs to Animal control.

If I were in your situation, I would have put my dogs behind me, and drew down on the dog. If it was back a few feet like he was, snarling like he was, I would tell him to go and then tell the owner that they need to control their dog, because if it gets any closer, its going to be dead, without taking my eyes or gun off the dog. If it lunged, or made any motion that made me fear my immediate safety, I would not hesitate to fire. A mastiff is just as dangerous as a gun, in the wrong hands. Your situation is a great example of the Mastiff being more dangerous than the gun, simply based on ownership. Letting an aggressive mastiff that weighs as much as an adult roam off-leash is Like walking around spinning a pistol around your finger with the hammer engaged. Its a pointless, stupid risk, and one day he might run into someone a little less reserved about shooting a dog.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive dogs within city limits?   Aggressive dogs within city limits? EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 2:58 pm

I have a carry permit as well. I have yet to actually carry it on my walks, but I'm seriously thinking I may need to. I've had a few situations where the owner could barely control their dog on leash. I'm worried that one may actually get free, and come after me and Lucian. I would try and do everything I could to get the dog away, but if it got to the point trying to lunge or attack me or Lucian I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it. I would be scarred for life either way, being bite, or killing someones pet. I hunt, but wild animals, and domesticated pets are two totally different things to me. I would certainly feel horrible, but I'm not willing to risk my life or Lucian's because someone can't control their own dog.
Back to top Go down
lovecheese45
Puppy
Puppy
lovecheese45

Female Join date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive dogs within city limits?   Aggressive dogs within city limits? EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks for the responses. I did have Juno behind me, which was where the little dog was ironically. I never saw what house the dog came out of because when the owner hey "Get back here", the door closed right away.

Seriously, what dog listens to their owner when they are on a dead sprint towards something they want?

I wanted to yell out something but I felt that might have pushed the dog over the limits. Plus, there are TONS of kids around here (none of which are ever outside) and a multitude of cops.

I understand dogs get loose and things happen... but if you're home and you know your dog is aggressive... Maybe you should keep an eye on it when it's outside!
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive dogs within city limits?   Aggressive dogs within city limits? EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 1:21 am

I carry mace on my walks for situations such as this. I have never had to use it but its there clipped next to the dog waste bags just in case.
If I were you I would get some to attach to your leash. Mace can be just as effective as a gun when it comes to keeping another dog from attacking and carries less of a risk of killing a dog because its owners are stupid....but that's just my opinion. I would most definitely call the local animal control though, at least for the sake of having it documented in case something like that happens again.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive dogs within city limits?   Aggressive dogs within city limits? EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 2:58 am

ShawnaAD wrote:
I carry mace on my walks for situations such as this. I have never had to use it but its there clipped next to the dog waste bags just in case.
If I were you I would get some to attach to your leash. Mace can be just as effective as a gun when it comes to keeping another dog from attacking and carries less of a risk of killing a dog because its owners are stupid....but that's just my opinion. I would most definitely call the local animal control though, at least for the sake of having it documented in case something like that happens again.

My issue with macing an aggressive dog is that it won't do anything but further ruin that dog, in my opinion, especially if the owner leaves with his dogs before Animal Control can be involved.

Also it is easier, mentally, to mace a dog than to kill a dog. I feel like knowing there is a serious consequence makes a person think a little more before they act.
Back to top Go down
jennmreeves
Newborn
Newborn
jennmreeves

Female Join date : 2013-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive dogs within city limits?   Aggressive dogs within city limits? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 1:21 am

It is apparent that the owner did not care about the dog or your safety. If he/she did then they would have came out instead of standing behind a door. When I go out for walks with Meeka I take a gun with me but it is only because I live in the country and there are wild animals out that can possibly hurt her. I have seen possums that chase you and you know that they have the intent to harm. I think that they might have rabies because most of the time I see them try to run away from anyone. I also have to walk her alot at night because I work during the day.

If I was in the situation of a mastiff rushing to Mikka and I, I think that I would have pulled the gun. But I would not shoot unless it was very apparent that we were going to be attacked. I know that I would feel bad for it. But the fact that I avoided Mikka or myself getting hurt would out weigh the thought that I killed the other animal.
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive dogs within city limits?   Aggressive dogs within city limits? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 6:36 am

I walk blu both within city limits and in the country, and we've been attack by numerious dogs (only bitten twice... more on that later). i however dont carry mace or a gun (im not comfortable carrying either personally), because the people are useually around to keep their pets from stepping over that point of being threatening and attacking. most of the time you can just yell at the dogs to go home and they do.

However i was bitten once by a boxer who lunged at blu, this was when he was about the size of a large cat lol, lucky i managed to get blu under my arms and out of range of the boxer... not so lucky for me though. I did not call animal control or the police i simply told the owner to either get her dog on a leash or keep her inside and that if i came by again and she wasn't leashed up i would be calling animal control. i haven't had a run in with that dog since then.

I dont want to see someone have to loose they're pet simply because i was bitten, so i useually only call animal control if they refuse to listen to reason. im glad this lady was willing to listen to reason and the situation didn't escalate further.

I still dont understand why people cant throw a leash on their dog if they have no form of containment.
Back to top Go down
Papabear
Puppy
Puppy
Papabear

Male Join date : 2013-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive dogs within city limits?   Aggressive dogs within city limits? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:44 pm

I, too, carry when I walk the dogs. Good for you in keeping a cool head in that situation.

Did you call animal control?
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive dogs within city limits?   Aggressive dogs within city limits? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 12:16 am

I had a run in the other day with a dog charging me Lucian, and my almost 4 yr old daughter. Someone left the gate open, and this dog just came bolting out barking, and acting really aggressive. I wasn't carrying at the time, so I just yelled "HEY!" really loud, and stomped my foot at it. It stayed about a foot or two away from Lucian. Any closer and it would have been kicked in the head. The owner came out and got it. Apologized, and then yelled at his kid for leaving the gate open. Still scared the crap out of me.
One other time a few weeks ago I had 3 dogs come running across the street at us. 2 of which were small dogs, and the other being a boxer puppy, probably around the same age as Lucian. I could tell it just wanted to play, but it still made me jump at first. It was ten at night. What irritated me about that was the owner came out to get them, and didn't say one single word to me. No apology or anything. I'm sure if it was Lucian charging his dogs it would of scared him.
I don't get what is so hard about keeping dogs contained in a fenced in area or tied up. Just in the past month I've had 3 different situations of dogs running at us. So far they've all been different dogs. Same ones ever happen again I'll be calling animal control. Maybe teach some people a lesson. Rant over, lol.
Back to top Go down
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Female Join date : 2013-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive dogs within city limits?   Aggressive dogs within city limits? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 1:00 am

I am not old enough to carry a handgun or have a CCL, But my mom has one and she does carry it on walks. We have 3 border collies that live across from us that come across the road to run up and down our fence line teasing our dogs. If they are out, and we go to open or close our gate, or leave for a walk, The brown and white one named Astro will come racing and start growling and do threatening lunges towards us. He gets more aggressive the older he gets, This has gone on for the last 2 years from when they got him as a puppy. The other collie is his mate, the 3rd one is his pup who is fastly learning from its sire. Stepping towards Astro or yelling at him to go home just makes him more excited and more aggressive. He was born to herd and with the right owners he would make a outstanding champion herding dog, But with his current owners he is just going down the wrong path. We have spoken to the owners at least 6 times about it, The last time we did my mom said she will not hesitate to shoot them if they give her reason to. They put them on leashes for a few days then they are out again. We have also contacted Animal Control multiple times, who have done nothing about it. If I go on walks by myself I carry a 3.2 million volt taser.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive dogs within city limits?   Aggressive dogs within city limits? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 1:28 pm

we have many threads on roaming aggressive encounters with dogs here. i have used my legs to kick away dogs, i have screamed and stomped to deter dogs from getting closer and i have sure as hell have yelled at owners to come get there dog before i did something to it. they do make a dog mace that you can get and i would sure use that over a gun, or walk with a heavy stick/bat before killing something. the first thing to do is always pull your dogs in and get them behind you to protect them. and ALWAYS call animal control and if you can get a picture of the dog.

Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive dogs within city limits?   Aggressive dogs within city limits? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 1:49 pm

Papabear wrote:
I, too, carry when I walk the dogs. Good for you in keeping a cool head in that situation.

Did you call animal control?

No, just went home, cleaned the wound and wrapped it up. probably should have but the owner of that particular dog has seemed to of listened to me... we haven't seen it since then and i walk by their house every day.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive dogs within city limits?   Aggressive dogs within city limits? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 3:02 pm

Wow! That's scary. I have been wondering about that as well since I'm bringing a puppy home. Pepper spray is a great idea and I think I will try to find some here. I was worried about taking him out for relief in the middle of the night.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive dogs within city limits?   Aggressive dogs within city limits? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 10:05 pm

A scary situation, that is, unfortunately, too common and is caused by irresponsible humans.

I wouldn't shoot an attacking dog.
But I have found that boots are effective, as in ka-boom to the attacker, as is pepper spray to the dog's face.

http://tinyurl.com/bubh6b9
I would rather use Halt on the human that was such an idiot though!
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive dogs within city limits?   Aggressive dogs within city limits? EmptyWed May 01, 2013 1:01 pm

I carry Mace and Halt. Halts supposed to be only for dogs so i'm not sure it would have any affect on a human but i wouldnt feel bad using it on an aggressive dog. the Mace is for people or dogs i suppose if the halt didn't work for some reason. I dont think that Halt is supposed to do any permanent damage so i wouldnt feel bad in the least spraying it at a snapping off leash dog.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aggressive dogs within city limits?   Aggressive dogs within city limits? Empty

Back to top Go down

Aggressive dogs within city limits?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1