It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Luna is spayed finally :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 8:45 pm

We got pain med, the vet told us to give it to her tomorrow morning:( our house is not the same. She's just laying there, I have no said "Luna get down" or " bad girl" all day. I called out of work for the next three days hoping she will be her old self by then Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 8:47 pm

She will, I am sure. I know that spays are more invasive than neutering, so it might take longer to recover. Yukon slept most of the day I brought him home from getting neutered, and most of the second day as well. That's weird that you can't start the pain meds until tomorrow, my vet said I could start it that day.

She is just going to be lazy for a few days until she heals. That's a good thing so she doesn't rip her stitches!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 8:48 pm

Nicky got spayed on the19th and had a horrible experience/recovery! She didn't have much of an appetite for about a week after the surgery. I did give her boiled chicken breast and white rice (that's the only thing she would eat at the time). She slept 80% of the first week, so she didn't have to wear the cone too much (only when I wasn't home and at night). I didn't like the hard cone the vet gave her, so I bought a softer one at Petco that I actually prefer. It's a little pricey, but I felt she was more comfortable with it on and it never slipped off her neck. If you're interested, here's the link : http://www.petco.com/product/108491/All-Four-Paws-Black-Comfy-Cone.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

I hope Lunda starts feeling better soon!

Last edited by Hayden_69 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 8:49 pm

A lot of dogs whine hours after procedures after being put under. Most vets give narcotics like morphine as an on-board pain medication that lasts 8-12 hours post-surgery. She's probably not in as much pain as she is feeling dopey and not normal. The pain after surgery is usually about 11-15 hours post per-med injection. That's why a lot of hospitals keep them overnight, because they don't want the owners to worry about whining and lethargy. Cushy bed and lots of love Smile and she doesn't have to wear the cone as long as you are observing her.

ETA- if they told you to wait, then they definitely gave a narcotic. Mixing two pain killers is dangerous.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 9:01 pm

Thanks Kelly. I will ask my girlfriend to go pick it up today, it's snowing down here and I can't drive on snow.

Brooke you ever think about being our vet on call for this forum, I read the information you posted on Kelly's post. You really know your stuff. Smile

FYI- Luna started blowing her coat today No
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 9:50 pm

I've just been working in the field for a little while (kennels for 2 years, assisting and kennels for 2 years, assisting and tech work for 3 years) and I research all the time. Plus one of my bosses is a diagnostic vet, and he is always talking to me and the head tech Holly about new theories and alternative treatments. When he sees something strange in the microscope, he shows us and teaches us about it while he is diagnosing the patient, for example. He goes over bloodwork results with us and shows us why he is diagnosing the patient with "whatever". He also gave me and Holly access to a veterinary medical research website. It's extremely extensive. He is very knowledgeable; I've learned A LOT from him. I learned more from him that I did from the vet that taught my tech courses in college!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 9:56 pm

I felt bad putting the cone on Lucian too. I only had it on him at night when I couldn't monitor him. But it's better it stays on, so they can't lick it, and possibly pull the stitches out or anything. Spays are always harder on the dog than neuters. Lucian did fine with eating, and was his normal self after we got home. But when I picked up my Samantha from her spay, she didn't want to eat, didn't want to go outside. She sulked for about 2 days afterwards, and then started perking back up. I'm sure she'll be back to normal in a few days.
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 10:07 pm

I got Loki neutered for about 250 including work up pain meds and anxiety meds. Loki slept only when we gave him the anxiety med because if we didnt he got the zoomies. Well worth the money I spent on quality care IMO. His incision site looks almost completely healed. Plus it is nice ill get most of what I spent back from his insurance.
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 10:19 pm

She didn't get no Stitches, more of this gel thing they put on it Suspect
Back to top Go down
Luna's_Mommy
Newborn
Newborn
Luna's_Mommy

Female Join date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: Another Luna :-)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 2:29 pm

I have a Luna, too! She will be 1 in about 2 weeks (looking up Pup-cake recipes right now!) We got her at 7 weeks from the breeder and had her spayed and micro chipped at about 6 months. The total was about $300 with all medications, etc. included in that number. It is SO hard to keep a puppy still and calm for 10 days. She hated the cone a.k.a- satellite dish, and wouldn't move with it on. So I found an inflatable neck donut looking thing from Petco for $15 that worked PERFECT. She didn't seem to mind it at all. She took a little longer to get the stitches removed, I think they pushed it back to 14 days, but they said everything healed perfectly well. Good luck to you and your Luna- speedy, happy recovery! :-)

Back to top Go down
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 4:02 pm

And thank you all for making me more terrified of getting Bella spayed. I know it's a good idea but I've never gotten an animal that wasn't spayed before I got them and I just have this really terrible feeling about this time. Didn't know she wasn't spayed until we went to pick her up. We handed over the money, cash of course, and then the owner goes oh yeah, she still hasn't been spayed bye.
So between scrounging money for it and my absolute terror of something happening to her during the surgery I've been putting it off.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 7:05 pm

uelrindru wrote:
And thank you all for making me more terrified of getting Bella spayed. I know it's a good idea but I've never gotten an animal that wasn't spayed before I got them and I just have this really terrible feeling about this time. Didn't know she wasn't spayed until we went to pick her up. We handed over the money, cash of course, and then the owner goes oh yeah, she still hasn't been spayed bye.
So between scrounging money for it and my absolute terror of something happening to her during the surgery I've been putting it off.

Make sure you go to a Vet that you trust. That's the most important thing. Spays are invasive, yes, and there are risks, but her health in the long run is more important IMO. Mammary cancer is terrible; I've seen it numerous times and it can be fatal. I can say, that for the 7 years that I've been working in vet hospitals, there has never been a death or any complications from any routine spays and neuters. What you can do if you are nervous, is go in for a pre-op exam with the dr that will be doing the surgery, talk to him/her about your concerns, what monitoring equipment they use, their philosophy of pre-meds, if they follow "balance anesthesia" protocols, and how they handle the recovery process (recovery is when the pt is at risk the most, not during the actual surgery). Ask if they can place an IV catheter for added protection. Look for AAHA accredited hospitals in your area. They are FAR more stringent in their medical practices, and are more concerned about your animal than money. They undergo rigorous exams by the vet medical board every 4 years to keep their AAHA accreditation; there are certain requirements that HAVE to be met, and a lot of them have to do with surgery protocols.
Back to top Go down
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 8:25 pm

If she's already had a heat how much of a difference will spaying her mean now? I know I had read a few places about how spaying prior to her first heat would possibly give her growth plate issues and other problems and keeping her intact was bad for other reasons. I saw a lot of back and forth on whether it was the best thing. I'm coming at this as a responsible owner, I do not let her be in contact with dogs I don't know, I know whether they have been neutered or not and always have her on leash and inaccessible during her heats. I'm not doing this as a cop out because I'm cheap or irresponsible. I love my dog and I want what is best for her always but for some reason the thought of her in surgery she may not completely need really scares me.
and yes I am totally prepared to keep my vigil for her life. I do want to get her spayed but the thought of losing her right now is not something I can not go through. It would really be my last straw I think.
I know it's a realtively small chance and I should probably feel silly about it but I don't, at least not now.
Back to top Go down
Luna's_Mommy
Newborn
Newborn
Luna's_Mommy

Female Join date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 8:29 pm

uelrindru wrote:
If she's already had a heat how much of a difference will spaying her mean now? I know I had read a few places about how spaying prior to her first heat would possibly give her growth plate issues and other problems and keeping her intact was bad for other reasons. I saw a lot of back and forth on whether it was the best thing. I'm coming at this as a responsible owner, I do not let her be in contact with dogs I don't know, I know whether they have been neutered or not and always have her on leash and inaccessible during her heats. I'm not doing this as a cop out because I'm cheap or irresponsible. I love my dog and I want what is best for her always but for some reason the thought of her in surgery she may not completely need really scares me.
and yes I am totally prepared to keep my vigil for her life. I do want to get her spayed but the thought of losing her right now is not something I can not go through. It would really be my last straw I think.
I know it's a realtively small chance and I should probably feel silly about it but I don't, at least not now.

She is adorable, by the way! Love your profile pic.. I'm a fan of the puppy tongue :-). I can't remember where I read it, but somewhere when I was researching spay vs. no spay, I read that with each heat the chance of mammary cancer increases. Again, can't give exact figures, but it would definitely be something looking into IMO. Whatever you decide, she's your dog and it's completely your decision. You know what's best for her and it's whatever you're comfortable with. GL-- you'll make the right decision for you and your pup.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 8:42 pm

It is true that with each heat the chances of cancer and pyometra increase. She is YOUR dog and your dog only. We will only give our advice and what we believe is right. Just because we believe it's right, doesn't mean it is.

Some people believe that spaying before the first heat is the right thing. Some people believe waiting after the first heat is the first thing. Some people (and I fall into this catagory) believe waiting until a female is physically and mentally mature. Yet some people believe that a female or male should never be fixed. We will advocate what we think is right, but either way it is your decision at the end of the day.

All you can do at this point is do a LOT of research for spaying vs not spaying and come to your own educated decision.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 10:40 pm

I was just giving you tips on what to talk to you vet about if you were interested in getting her spayed and what kind of hospitals to look into, I wasn't calling you irresponsible at all... Question

Anyway... The chance of females that go through 1-3 heat cycles, getting mammary cancer are fairly low. It's when they start getting to be 4-8 years old when complications might arise. And spaying a female at that age is much more risky than doing it when they are young and healthy. That's why most vets advocate to get it done by at least 2 years. I'm not trying to sway you... I'm just giving information. Just clarifying since you took my last post completely the wrong way...

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 11:22 pm

Cheyenne and Mishka were both spayed prior to a heat with no issues at all.

In the end it's a personal decision but I went through 1 heat with 1 dog once and will never do it again ever in my life lol there are risks to anything, do you know how many dogs choke on their food? Or bloat because of rawhide? Or eat socks/toys/tampons Smile lol that they're not supposed to? Life is full of risks- I'd rather avoid the risk of pyo, pregnancy, and mammary cancer.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 11:38 pm

I finally found a study that gave me the percentages for the complications and a break down of what they were. The rates for death which is my main concern were only 1% which I would be ok with, the other complications weren't as earth shattering as I had originally though so I'll try to get it done around her second birthday then which seems to be the sweet spot for quality of life issues.
Also, this forum is awesome. Most places I've talked about not having Bella spayed have ripped me apart for being a bad pet owner, this one everyone was incredibly reasonable. It's nice to see the being on the internet doesn't mean everyone is a complete zealot Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 11:55 pm

Haha Kale's tampon shout-out made me giggle Kristina! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Luna is spayed finally :)   Luna is spayed finally :) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Luna is spayed finally :)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3