It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Raw feeding problem for a senior

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

Raw feeding problem for a senior Empty
PostSubject: Raw feeding problem for a senior   Raw feeding problem for a senior EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 12:51 pm

This week, Denali our 14 year old senior, started turning away from any raw food that has bone in it. I am thinking her teeth may be becoming sensitive. She still likes raw, but I am having trouble finding raw food without bone in it that isn't to expensive. There are no butchers around my area so I am limited to grocery store stock. Has anyone been in this situation before? Any advice on what to do? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Raw feeding problem for a senior   Raw feeding problem for a senior EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 1:01 pm

You can feed raw without bone and just give a calcium supplement to make up for the lack of bone. You can also add ground/crushed eggshell to the raw meat to put calcium back into the diet. You can ask a holistic vet how much as a guideline, or you can buy a calcium supplement made for dogs so you can easily determine the dosage that way.

My mother in law uses a calcium supplement specifically made for dogs because it's easier than doing the ground eggshell.

Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Raw feeding problem for a senior   Raw feeding problem for a senior EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 2:36 pm

Will she eat ground meat that includes bone in it? I'm not sure about the suppliers in your area, but that might be another thing to look into...? It shouldn't upset her teeth as much since she wouldn't have to crunch through big pieces of bone...
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: Raw feeding problem for a senior   Raw feeding problem for a senior EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 9:00 pm

Its really hard to find cheap meat without big bones in it. I know she will eat cornish hens if I cut it up to small strips as the bone is realatively soft. I cannot find an suppliers of the type of meat you suggest Angela but will keep looking. I will also look into the calciun tabs. thanks Valerie
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Raw feeding problem for a senior   Raw feeding problem for a senior EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 11:41 am

I know the raw pre-mades with bone will cost a small fortune which is why I only suggested feeding boneless raw meat and using a calcium supplement. Here is the Calcium supplement my holistic vet recommends if you feed a homecooked diet or a raw diet without bone:

Animal Essentials - Natural Seaweed Calcium

Raw feeding problem for a senior Ic_1283897808_1024x768_false

Product label:
Raw feeding problem for a senior Ic_1284062834_800x600_false

Amazon carries it for a good price: http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Essentials-Natural-Seaweed-Calcium/dp/B0002AAO2M

What I like about this is that it's super easy to dose (just 1 tsp per lb of food) and you can safely feed boneless raw without worrying about a Calcium deficiency.

Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: Raw feeding problem for a senior   Raw feeding problem for a senior EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 1:50 pm

Wel yesterday she ate some checken wings with the bone after I cut them in more managable pieces, today she wouldn't eat anything. Hopefully tonite she gets hungry enough to eat, if not I'll start worrying.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Raw feeding problem for a senior   Raw feeding problem for a senior EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 2:12 pm

I know a few peopel with this issue and they feed bone meal - 100% food grade. I personally like the brand by KAL, Inc. It has a perfect Calcium to Phosphorous ratio and I started using it after reading information about it from Dr. Pitcairn. I also use it to firm them up if need be and it really works.

P.S. Many dog supplement companies will claim that Bone meal isn't digestible. This is not the case at all in dogs, in fact it is much easier digested than any calcium supplement that is derived from plants. KAL is derived from Organic raised cattle in New Zealand.

Last edited by mheath0429 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Raw feeding problem for a senior   Raw feeding problem for a senior EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 2:14 pm

The one I use: http://www.amazon.com/KAL-Bone-Meal-Powder-powder/dp/B00014D1LK
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: Raw feeding problem for a senior   Raw feeding problem for a senior EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 3:21 pm

the powder sounds good but when she won't eat, then what?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Raw feeding problem for a senior   Raw feeding problem for a senior EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 5:06 pm

She will, mix it in with something or make a gravy out of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raw feeding problem for a senior   Raw feeding problem for a senior Empty

Back to top Go down

Raw feeding problem for a senior

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1