It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Surgery for Isis

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

Surgery for Isis Empty
PostSubject: Surgery for Isis   Surgery for Isis EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 11:19 pm

We came home to find piles of vomit on the floor. Let them outside and while we were cleaning up the mess, I noticed three new piles of vomit outside. I asked our neighbor, Sadie, if she'd seen who had just gotten sick, and it was Isis. We kept an eye on her, called the emergency # for our vet, got a message. She was lethargic and just not her normal happy self. After a few minutes of discussion, we decided to run her to the Emergency Clinic. After x-rays, discovered she has a posible stone in her intestine, and what looks to be a nail in her stomach. Sad I wanted to wait and take her to our normal vet for surgery, but the possibility that the nail (or whatever the hell it is) could puncture something left that option out. So, a complete stranger will be performing her surgery in approximately 1/2 hour. We are not happy about it, but I did call our vet again, and he was unable to gather the staff to do the surgery yet tonight. He assured us that we were making the right decision, and that comforted us somewhat. But I am worried so....it has been a helluva few weeks. A week ago last Sunday night, Isis woke us four times in the night to go outside, which was unlike her. Then when we came home Monday after work, there was vomit, and smack dab in the middle of it was a LUG NUT. A big lug nut. In the center of the lug nut was a french fry. Which meant she'd been carrying it around for a few weeks, as we do not give them fries often at all and it had been awhile. The vet assured us that as long as she was eating and it was coming out the other end, all should be ok. So, we gotta wonder: how long ago did she eat the rock and the nail (or whatever)? If we'd taken her in after the lug nut, would they have seen this in her belly then or did she just recently swallow these things?
Now, Nanuk is missing his Sisi, we are on pins & needles waiting for the call that the surgery is done & she's ok, and all I can seem to do is cry...
I will keep you all updated, and am praying for a good outcome on the surgery. I thought we had a Husky, not a damned goat! Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

Surgery for Isis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery for Isis   Surgery for Isis EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 10:56 am

Holy crap that sucks! Best of luck to you, she is in our thoughts.
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Surgery for Isis Empty
PostSubject: UPDATE ON ISIS   Surgery for Isis EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 11:08 am

UPDATE ON ISIS:
She came out of surgery @ about 2:30 am. They did, indeed, find a stone in her intestine. I do not know how to describe what was in her tummy. It looked like a miniature bedpost finial with a pin encased in plastic that maybe attached to a chair at one time??? We do not have a clue, but will post a pic and maybe someone can help us out. She obviously dug this treasure up somewhere in the back yard. There was also a third something inside her. It's a piece of rubber, again, have no clue what it is from.
She is now at our regular vet's office, being given more antibiotics & pain meds. Dr. Lindsey wants to keep an eye on her for the day. Poor little girl is in so much pain. She bit a tech at the Emergency clinic when she went to get a heartbeat at about 4 am this morning. I told the vet there that she is not normally like that, and he said "Well she'd been awake for hours at that point, so it wasn't b/c of the anesthesia". I tend to disagree. I think that the pain, mixed with being at a new place & being scared of it all and the effects of the anesthesia took its toll, and she lashed out. When we got her to Plymouth vet, I told the tech about it, and she went right out there and picked her up out of the vehicle with no problems at all. And then when Dr. was examining her, she was scared, but did just fine. They were terrified of her at the clinic and had Tommy go get her out of the crate. Does anyone else think this behavior was stress-related or is it just me? I mean, when Tommy had his hernia surgery, he was snippy, too!
So, anyway, we will call the vet later to check on her, and she will probably come home this evening. I would prefer they board her for the night, just to be on the safe side, but will see what they say. Poor little Sisi. She's been through the ringer, and the next few weeks will be hell on her. Tommy will take vacation time to be with her after today. Poor little girl... Crying or Very sadSurgery for Isis Isis_t11Surgery for Isis Isis_t12
THIS IS WHAT THEY TOOK OUT OF HER TUMMY!! Any ideas on what the center & right side item could be?

Last edited by amykmac on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding pics)
Back to top Go down
britandsteven
Puppy
Puppy
britandsteven

Female Join date : 2010-01-18

Surgery for Isis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery for Isis   Surgery for Isis EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 12:09 pm

Oh, Amy, I'm so sorry! I do believe that stress and being in an unfamiliar environment do play a toll on a normally happy nice dog's behavior. Being scared shitless is plenty of stimulus to protect yourself so just be patient with her, and be there for her, and after a stressful experience like this you may want to consider brushing up on her socializing just so these memories don't make her change her attitude towards strangers. While she is home recovering though I would probably wait until you think her pain is under control to introduce any stimulus. She knows your neighbor right? Well maybe your neighbors can come visit her in her "sickbed" and give her a treat or some nice words:) I'm so sorry, I wish I was there today but Wednesdays are my days off:( Keep us posted, we're all here for you!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Surgery for Isis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery for Isis   Surgery for Isis EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 1:36 pm

Amy,
I'm so sorry but so happy that Isis seems to be recovering. have you seen any new holes in your yard that maybe she was digging in? I have dug up some of the strangest things in our yard while building our gardens. I also am sure it was out of stress that she got nippy and you should call that office to see if the vet tech is doing ok, just in case you need to go back there.
please keep us updated and we will be hoping everything goes well in her getting better

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Surgery for Isis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery for Isis   Surgery for Isis EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 2:02 pm

I'm just reading this now, Amy. I too am very sorry that this happened! I'm so glad you called the vet though and she's okay. There's about 10 holes in our backyard now... it makes me want to go investigate all of them!

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!

EDIT: Oh, and I think the bite was more certainly stress related. Perhaps they went to touch a sensitive area. If she's in so much pain, it would have been totally normal for her to want to protect the pained area. And honestly? Some people are just plain scared of certain breeds. There was a vet at my old clinic that I refused to see because he always acted so terrified around larger dogs. He TOLD my friend that he was afraid of her Great Dane. It might have been the same with one of the vet techs.... Rolling Eyes

Surgery for Isis Hailey10
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Surgery for Isis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery for Isis   Surgery for Isis EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 3:57 pm

Thanks everyone!
I called to check on our baby about 11:30, and she will be coming home tonight. Tommy is leaving work early to go get her before they close. They said she is doing well.
I am glad that I am not the only one to think she's not turned into an ogre. She was very lovey with the woman who checked us in at the clinic, and can only think that everything just welled up. I guess they had her in a crate there (another new thing for her) and when the tech went to take her vitals and reached in, she'd had just about enough of it. I planned on calling there, but they don't open until 6pm, so will wait until then.
As for the holes, there are numerous ones out there, and Tommy has said he has dug up some interesting artifacts before when digging. We will just have to keep a closer eye on her when out there.
This is just another saga in the ownership of a Husky, I guess. Hopefully, things will settle down for awhile! I will keep you all updated on her recovery.
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Surgery for Isis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery for Isis   Surgery for Isis EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Isis is now home & resting. Poor little girl...wanted so badly to be with her brother, Nanuk, but we have to keep her away for awhile. Chicken & rice in small increments starting tomorrow, ground up, of course.
One bit of good news...The Doc said she probably wouldn't have a bowel movement for a few days, but first thing she did when coming home is go in her own backyard & go potty. I think that means everything is going well for her, internally. She didn't seem to experience any pain going potty, so we take that as a good sign. We will keep the updates coming. Thanks again to everyone for the well-wishes!
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

Surgery for Isis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery for Isis   Surgery for Isis EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 10:47 am

I am just reading this today! have not had time to update you guys on here or check y our new posts! amy i am terribly sorry! now i feel that if sniper isnt the only one who likes to eat things!!! i know you guys were scared and i am glad that she is home and doing well! its a long hard road this i know!! i am keeping her in our thoughts and prayers!! she will pull thru great ! i just know she will! sniper was back to herself in a day! so give her some time and NO JUMPING!! :-) sniper wanted to jump BAD! and i was too scared that she might rip her stitches internally out! she had staples on the outside! anyways sorry about all of this! they are like our kids and we have to take care of them :-) good luck and we are here for you!
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

Surgery for Isis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery for Isis   Surgery for Isis EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 10:56 am

Shocked
That's what was removed?!? Glad the surgery went smoothly. The right side item almost looks like a shotgun slug that hit a steel barrier, unless it's plastic. My goodness. How old is she?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Surgery for Isis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery for Isis   Surgery for Isis EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 11:19 am

Holy Crap... I have NO idea... the foot to something seems like a good guess, but to what I have no idea.

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Surgery for Isis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery for Isis   Surgery for Isis EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Oh my god I can't believe she ate that stuff! I don't see any of it tasting that good! I'm wondering if the center thing is like a knob to a cabinet or something, the thing on the right I need a better picture and lighting to tell. I hate to ask but is Mika not at your home anymore? you have not mentioned her... anyway I'm glad Isis is home and adjusting well, you should put those items in a jar as a reminder, makes for a good coffee table display.

Adult
Adult
amykmac

Surgery for Isis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery for Isis   Surgery for Isis EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 10:40 pm

Yes, Mika is still with us! She's just such a quiet girl, doesn't cause much mishchief! Well, unless you call getting out of the yard today while my sister was dog-sitting "not making mischief!" Luckily, she's such a happy-go-lucky dog, she came right to Deb & the neighbor, so no harm, I guess.
We are beginning to think that the center thingy is a knob off of an older chair. The piece on the right was once attached, I guess.
Called the Vet today, as it seemed the pain medicine was really zoning Isis out. She wouldn't lay down, wouldn't eat or drink, was sleeping standing up and she piddled on herself. He told me the Tamerol was a man-made opiate, and he didn't like the effects on her, so he had us take her off for the day. I will call tomorrow and tell him that it made a BIG difference in her and ask if we can maybe give her the Rimadyl we have left from Mika's spay surgery, She ate twice tonight (small portions of the chicken & rice) and is looking her more chipper self. Have I mentioned I LOVE Plymouth Vet Clinic? After we talked about her meds, Dr. Holl gave me his home phone# and told me to call him tonight if ANYTHING went wrong. They are the best, I tell you!
I had to call the Foster Mom that we adopted her from tonight and tell her of the mishap Sissy had. She was oh so understanding and comforting to me.
Sissy is doing very well, but we are having a very hard time keeping her mellowed and not jumping up on & off the couch. She has too much spunk! This worries me, b/c as was mentioned, it is the stitches inside that worry me.
Now, all we have to get through is tomorrow, b/c my boss is not understanding, and I didn't feel I could ask for another day off, Tommy's work is finally picking up, and he has trucks to repair. We don't feel comfortable leaving her alone, so my Mom will be here in the morning, the neighbor guy will stop in throughout the day, and our next-door neighbor will be over after 10:30 to look after Isis. My main concern is the cone of shame. I worry that if she tries to take it off, she could end up choking herself. Tommy is off next week, so if all goes well tomorrow, I will be assured that she will be looked after properly. These dogs are the only kids I will ever have. Circumstance did not allow me to have human babies, so my furbabies are my world. Some people do not get that, and I hate having to justify to them why I feel the need to be with her. If she were human, I wouldn't have to explain it at all!
Sorry the pics are not better. I will try again after we have all calmed down. Thanks for listening to my rambling. I think the lack of sleep & the stress are getting to me.....more updates will follow....
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Surgery for Isis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery for Isis   Surgery for Isis EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 10:42 pm

BTW, she is just over 2 years old, to answer THAT question!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Surgery for Isis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery for Isis   Surgery for Isis EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 10:44 pm

Aww... Well, Amy, you can be sure that we all understand! I would want just the same for my babies Smile

Congrats on finding such a fantastic vet! Thanks for the update Smile

Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Surgery for Isis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery for Isis   Surgery for Isis EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 10:46 pm

Thanks. Don't know what I would do without this forum, sometimes....
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Surgery for Isis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery for Isis   Surgery for Isis EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 10:51 pm

I just re-read my posts, and it is no wonder you may have thought we don't have Mika. I have left her out of all of this. Kinda like the red-headed step-child? LOL! Pun intended! It is just that Nanuk & Isis were together longer, and they formed a very strong bond, so I seem to mention them together more often. Mika is fittng in well, don't misunderstand that. She is also missing Sisi, but Sisi seems to be missing her brother more. Isis is the one who seems to be the glue that keeps them all together well, ya know? She is referee, instigator and lovey all in one!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Surgery for Isis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery for Isis   Surgery for Isis EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 12:37 pm

Well I'm glad to hear all is going well with the recovery and that Mika is not MIA Smile I was just having this conversation the other week about how our dogs are our kids as I do not want any "human" kids, and that we need to take sierra in to have her teeth worked on and that I will be late to work and have to leave early to pick her up and I have not asked my boss yet about it but I'm sure he will have something to say about it, but your right if it was my "real" kid no questions asked! I hate that. I wish more people did understand the bond that we form with our dogs and how they are a part of the family and not just a pet.

Adult
Adult
amykmac

Surgery for Isis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery for Isis   Surgery for Isis EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 2:21 pm

I know, and then on the other end of the spectrum, if you deny your dog any medical treatment, then you are neglecting an animal. There seems to be no winning. It truly bums me out, sometimes....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Surgery for Isis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery for Isis   Surgery for Isis Empty

Back to top Go down

Surgery for Isis

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1